Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a used Insight and was wondering about your thoughts on a 45 mile commute (each way) to work. It isn't a flat drive but moderately hilly. I live in Spartanburg, SC and drive NE towards Charlotte every day. I have an old RX-7 and I am looking to at lest double my gas mileage. My home is 1/2 mile from the interstate and work is less than that.
Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The Insight will do fine. Hilly conditions aren't going to be the best for MPG, but my absolute worst case scenario the worst I've ever managed to do was 50mpg on many really steep hills. You may have to ride some lower gears to pull the hills if they are significant enough.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi, we will see what others have to say but personally, I think that you have a very good commute for high MPG.

About hilly terrain and if the Insight is has a manual transmission, I would say: The Insight has basically two overdrives (4th and 5th). So do not be afraid to change gear to a lower one if the battery is used too much (like full assist for the entire way up). I keep my engine rpm at about 3000 for very long and steep hills. This usually either not use the battery much or even charges it.

Remember that the Insight top speed is done in 3rd gear and you can use it when ever necessary.

P.S. I do not drive in hilly terrain but I drove through the Washington area (or the state where we go through the Appalache mountains) when I drove from Canada to Florida. When I stopped at state rest area, people would stop at my car telling me they where impressed of being passed by at 70 MPH by my little car in long hills. The car was filled with luggage and bags.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Driveability

Thanks for your replies. There are no steep hills, and only a few of them are very long. The long ones are not steep at all unless you were riding a bicycle.
Robert

·
Registered
53 Posts
Drivabbility / hills / mpg

Buy one - you'll love it, if you like responsive handling on the curves, and buying gas with a single $20 bill once-a-month, or so.
In the extremely hilly Coast Range, I get about 52 mpg without even trying, in the 2000.
Take it easy in the corners, until you get the feel for such a light rig.
And have fun driving, and spending all the dough that you'll save on gas!
- Berk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts