Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I recently found out that the driver side parking brake wire is discontinued. Does anyone know if I could use a right one and transfer the old brackets to the new wire? Seems to be the only solution!
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Different part numbers so I doubt it would work. Pretty sure I still have one off my parts car if you want to buy the correct side.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
360 Posts
I just looked, they can be used on either side! The brackets are the only difference I see. I have a new 47560-S3Y-013 (right). Unfortunately, both sides might be discontinued. Majestic removed 47510-S3Y-023 (left) from my last order. :(

I've been wondering if cables from another Honda would be close enough to adapt to the Insight. I'm starting to have parts availability anxiety!

I noticed 47510-S3Y-A01 (Wire A, R Parking Brake) is for 2006 only. What could be different? I just ordered one to find out! :)

Attachments

Reactions: minor4326

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight MT
639 Posts
I had the same thing happen with mine a while back, if I remember correctly the pins are part of the cable design and aren't meant to come off, making the two sides not cross compatible, but I may be wrong about that. There used to be a few parts stores online that carried the part, it'll run about $45-$60 typically.

·
Administrator
13,217 Posts
These will def become a problem as in salty areas as they do deteriorate quite badly.

Mine have been done on all my cars at various times.

I hope we can source an alternative.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, I've been all over the place looking for replacement parking brake cables, and while listed on many sites, they're all discontinued, out of stock, or on some shady site that seems likely out-of-date or possible fraudulent. Does anyone have a lead on a pair of parking brake cables or ideas about how to adapt or make new ones?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I may have them still on the axle of a 142,000 mile car I parted out but it might be over a week before I can check.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well, I've been all over the place looking for replacement parking brake cables, and while listed on many sites, they're all discontinued, out of stock, or on some shady site that seems likely out-of-date or possible fraudulent. Does anyone have a lead on a pair of parking brake cables or ideas about how to adapt or make new ones?
You're correct that both cables are no longer available, having been discontinued by Honda. If you cannot source good used ones, then it may be possible to recondition your existing cables.

I assume that yours are sticking and holding on the parking brake, even when the handle is released? If so, this is usually due to the aluminum castings on the end of the cable corroding and "rust jacking" inside of the steel ferrule on the back of the rear brake backing plate, Since the steel ferrule is stronger than the aluminum casting on the cable end, the aluminum gives and crushes down on the steel cable inside of it, causing it to stick. It should be possible to cut off one of the swaged ends of the cable assembly and then drill out the crushed part of the aluminum casting that fits in the ferrule, making it possible for the cable to once again move freely. After doing this, either fit a whole new inner steel cable equal in length to the old one, or just put a new swaging sleeve on the end of your existing cable and crimp it properly. This will require you to shorten both cables equally, which shouldn't be a problem since the adjusting mechanism in the car at the back of the parking brake handle has a lot of range. You will need to purchase a crimping tool for this little exercise, which one depends upon the size of the wire and swaging sleeve that you use. Check out YouTube for swaging video howtos to see how this is done and if it is something that you are comfortable doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts