Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am going to be offering the driver's left-foot rest. Its 14 GA 304-2B stainless steel with an electropolished finsh, and has a cut-out of the Insight logo. (see pic on Yahoo group, or PM me for a pic)
Looks like they are going to cost around $40 each (including shipping). If we can get more than 20 ordered, the price drops by $5.

I'm still looking for a supplier of the little plastic "plugs" to hold them in, but I'm guessing they won't cost more than $2 for a set of two (already factored into above price). I can probaby order them direct from hparts.com, but I don't have the part number handy - I'm traveling and don't have my "shop manual on CD" with me. Actually the existing little gray plugs pulled out pretty easy, they could maybe be re-used, but for safety's sake, I'd say replace them.

I will put the order together, if enough people are interested. I need a minimum of 10 orders. They are 2-3 weeks production lead time, then about 1 more week for me to get them and ship 'em out. I'm willing to float a little of the cost up front, but I can't foot the whole thing right now.

So - if you are interested, please PM me or send mail to my "real world" account (jim "at" advertising.com).
I'd like to take PayPal payments for them in advance if possible. If costs after shipping, etc are less than the $40 I've quoted, I'll happily refund the difference (or if I get more than 20 orders), but I think I'm pretty accurate.

Please don't be offended by the "for sale" nature of this post. I am not planning on profiting on this venture, just trying to help the Insight community. I have one of these footrests, and its just about the most asked about mod I have in the car.

Thanks!
Jim

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
drilling required?

Jim,

great idea!

Will there be any drilling required to install the footrest?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Footrest

Armin,
No drilling of any kind. That's one of the great things about this, it can be installed in about 5 minutes with a pair of pliers and a rubber mallet (or something soft to tap the plugs in). If you look down around your left foot while sitting in the drivers seat, you'll see two little gray "plugs" in the carpet.
To install the protector, you pull those plugs out, lay the protector in place, and tap in the new plugs to hold it in place. The foot rest already has holes pre-drilled for the plugs. I will be including 2 new plugs with each footrest. You could "probably" re-use the old ones - but for safety's sake I thought it best to replace them.

It is like Honda intended to put something there, but decided not to for whatever reason. Maybe they intended it as an option, or accessory?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Foot Rest

Due to the large response (THANKS!), I've decided to post a picture of the foot rest, so you all can see it right here.
Also - to answer a lot of questions about installing. It installs in about 5 minutes with a pair of pliers and a small hammer (I found a rubber mallet works best). There is NO DRILLING or other modifications to the car required, Honda thoughtfully provided two little holes to mount the pedal - It appears that they meant to provide such a pedal, but for whatever reason, did not. If you look down to your left when in the driver's seat, you'll see two little gray "plugs" in the carpet. Installation involves pulling those plugs (pliers), then placing the footrest in position and tapping in the new plugs I'll send with the foot rest (hammer/mallet). Done in 5 minutes with no permanent mods.
Anyway- here's the pic.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I agree that the footrest looks good. I had previously assumed that the footrest had been intended for the left foot of automatic drivers; I had not consciously realised that there is also space for manual drivers, such as myself, to rest our foot.

Presumably the pedals are also modified. They shouldn't, but the pedals make me think of Elvis! :D All I need now is a picture of the pedals being tested by some blue suede shoes... :wink:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Foot Rest

Yeah...the pedal covers do look "Elvis-Like"...I think its the Rhinestone look. I actually have a set of the covers coming in from Ken, formerly of Sandusky Bay. He found a set and was kind enough to send them my way.
Actually, I had thought the opposite - that it was a nice place to rest my "clutch foot" when driving the manual...but I suppose Automatic drivers would get the same use out of it. :wink:

-Jim

·
Registered
366 Posts
Check left Monday Jim.
Jonathan

·
Registered
366 Posts
Where are we with this?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone,
Good timing on the inquiry!
I received an email from the manufacturer last night (Monday). The foot rests are completed and will be shipping to me either today (Tuesday) or tomorrow (Wednesday).
Either way, I should have them by the end of the week or at the latest the very beginning of next week. As soon as I get them, I will sort them, pack them up and ship them back out to everyone.
If you ordered one, I'll be in touch directly to let you know as soon as I ship them on their way to you. Expect to hear from me by Monday or Tuesday of next week!

Thanks!
Jim
ps - we sold 25 foot rests, all that I ordered! :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK...quick update. I'm out of the office today - one of my co-workers just emailed me that a large package is waiting for me...looks like the Footrests are in!!!! They must have delivered them by hand, since they are only about 30 minutes from my office.
Unfortunately - I won't be back in the office until this Thursday :( - I'd swing by and pick them up, but my office is 1.5 hours away.
Regardless - I should have them packed and ready to go out to everyone shortly, hopefully I can swing by the post office on Saturday and get them out!

Jim

·
Registered
366 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the update, can't wait.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you ordered a foot rest from me...check your email :D

I shipped them all out today (Sat)! - The place I ordered the last of the plastic plugs from got them delivered to me a few days earlier than quoted, so my wife and I wrapped 'em and packed 'em this morning and I dropped them off at the PO this afternoon. :)

Thanks to everyone for your interest and cooperation - I sold every one that I ordered before they were even delivered!

If anyone else is interested, let me know - I enjoyed working on this little project and I'd be willing to do another round or purchases - bear in mind the manufacturer has a 10-piece minimum, so if you are interested I might have to put you on a waiting list until I get close to the minimum order quantity.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Installed!

Got mine! It took longer for me to vacuum up all the dirt from the floor of my car so that it'd be clean enough for me to install the footrest than it did to do the footrest installation, which took 2 minutes tops. Looks great and is much appreciated since my unprotected footrest was getting a little worn out. I opted not to put any colored fabric underneath it, but the originally gray fabric is a pleasant sandy tan color from accumulated Cape Cod ice treatments :)

Thanks again Jim. I recommend these covers to others.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome, thanks Tim! :D

So glad you like it - if you get a chance post a Pic of it installed, since they are just slightly different then the original.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Installed with black felt behind ($.20 at Wal-Mart).
10 minutes making the felt perfect and the holes in the felt, 2 minutes to install.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Got my F.R. today Jim, will install tomorrow ( got a HOT date tonight ) THANKS SOoooo much for your work :D I'd buy you a beer if 'ya lived close :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool...if I ever get out your way, I'll take you up on that!

ps - Good luck on that "hot date"! :wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey all........ got it installed - NO problem-O ........ backed it as Jim suggested and does it look great :D

Jim - Thanks again for all your hard work AND sending that $5.00 bill - don't think I've ever done an on-line order where I get cash back ! :eek:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts