Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Recently bought a 2000 5-speed, about 165k miles. The driver's side window is stuck in the up position. The passenger side goes up and down just fine. I searched this forum quite a bit about tips to replace that, and found some useful ones like if the window is stuck up you may have to drill a hole to unbolt one of the nuts holding the window up. But, have one big question.

I am sure the motor is the problem because I applied 12V to the motor directly on its connector (after taking off the door panel) and it did not move, whereas the 12V signal coming from the power window switch tests out fine. But when I search for replacement power window motors on ebay, most of what comes up has the motor plus the pulley cables and track, all as one assembly. I guess my question is, is it better to buy that whole assembly or just get the actual motor?

An example of what I am talking about is here, except this is passenger side:
2000 Honda Insight Passenger Power Window Regulator Motor | eBay

Also, anyone know what other Honda models and years use the same motor/assembly? If for example the Civics use the same exact one then there is a good chance I can get one pretty cheap from a local salvage yard.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,677 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you put your location in your profile, you may get better responses.
Myself, I would take the motor out, disassemble, and then repair it.
You learn by doing.

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
When you applied power directly, did you reverse polarity to make sure it was in the down position?

In the shop where I work we replace a number of inop & broken window regulators of the cable type, like this. Either the motor fails or the cable frays and or binds up in the pulley at the motor.

I have never had to drill a hole in the door shell to access the bolts from the regulator to the door glass. Some times we use a ratchet wrench or cut the cable with some type of wire cutter if the cable is damaged.

IDK the price of anew one from Honda. However, a few years ago when I did the one on my wife's Odessey list was $99.00 and I think my wholesale price was $66.00.

If I'm not mistaken I think on this sight there is a like the parts catalogue at a dealership.

This new style cable regulators just doesn't hold up like the old scissor type. The weight savings is significant and most manufactures today seem to use it.

Hope this helps,
Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Willie. I added my location to the profile, meant to do that. I would be happy to repair the current parts, but assuming it is a motor failure are those usually repairable? It would seem to me that whatever would cause it to fail would fail it hard.

Scott - thanks also for the great info. I did apply power both ways. What bothered me was that it didn't even make a sound, like it wasn't even trying to move. Also, I did not understand your statement "If I'm not mistaken I think on this sight there is a like the parts catalogue at a dealership." Is there a way to know which other cars, if any, would use the same part?

About taking it apart and trying to fix it, the problem is I travel for work almost the full week and need the car during the week, so if I take the door apart to try and fix the motor and it turns out the motor can't be fixed, I don't have the ability to let it sit for a week while I wait for a new motor. So that's why I am sort of leaning towards getting a replacement part.

Is the cable and the motor attached or difficult to separate, which would mean it is better to buy the full motor/cable/track assembly, or do you just really need the motor for replacement?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
Supposed to be a link to a Honda dealer. Search Majestic Honda, they have an on line catalogue. Sorry I think spell check got me.

In the picture in the on line catalogue it is item #6. It is a bit pricey list $358.00, their discounted price $247.00. The illustration shows it as an assembly, motor & cables not sold separately. Used might be a good option, there are quit a few people on this site parting out cars.

I'm in the market for a left door glass, mine is scratched bad. If I gan find a door glass there is a chance they will have the regulator also.

Might try technical thump method (tap the motor with hammer or screw driver) kind of like stuck starter motor.

Heading out for work right now when I get to the shop I'll search a couple other sources.

I'll follow up in a little bit.

Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scott that is incredibly helpful, thank you!
I googled the Majestic Honda and a site came up, was very easy to get the parts catalogue view.
Honda Automotive Parts

The thing that I am least looking forward to is, everything to do with the window is just about inaccessible. There is door metal covering all the important window parts. I'm looking forward to dealing with that like having a hole in the head.

Also, I wonder if you can run the parts catalogue in reverse - if you give the part number (72250-S3Y-A02, which looks like may be superceeded by 72250-S3Y-A05?), are there any other Honda's which use that so I can just go to a junkyard and pull one. It would be awesome if like the Civic used the same part. But I am afraid this part may only be for the Insight.

Lastly, is it hard to swap out the whole mechanism?
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
I had a chance to check car-part.com, yard close to me shows it for $125.00 also my door glass for the same price.

Checked another suppliers online ordering system we use and the part you need is Insight only (no interchange) and no aftermarket.

It appeared you found a used one on ebay, however, if you would like me to arrange the one close to here I would also get my door glass at the same time. Also I would test it before shipping to be sure it works.

I have replaced many in-op regulators and always been able to get it out, sometimes it can be difficult. If you a not comfortable doing it you might consider checking with a local glass shop that does auto glass or a body shop as their rates tend to be about 1/2 that of the dealership service department.

Hope this helps,
Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scott
Thanks my friend. The one on ebay is for the passenger side, but unfortunately I need the driver's side. What item did you look it up under car-part.com? Window regulator? And can "regulator" only mean one thing?

Also, does the factory service manual cover the procedure and which bolts and such to remove the window parts? I found a collection of service manual pages online, but it is mostly troubleshooting. Can't find anything about how to turn nuts to get the parts out.

·
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks much Freezin, I will plan to do that. It's kind of risky though because once I have it all apart, if it doesn't work I still have to put it all back together just so I can have a closed window to lock the car. So it might not be a bad idea for me to have a spare regulator ready to go, and if I don't need it I can resell it.

Are there any tips anyone has? I found the shop manual procedure to remove, contained in the "doors" section of the service manual (it is not in the Power Windows section, that is just troubleshooting):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2fuwglokhtm2yr6/I6s-Xy45Qr

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
Searched window regulator (front). As far as know there is nothing else to search.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unrelated, I just got done cleaning the EGR plate and lubricating the EGR valve position sensor. Solely based on two great posts on this forum which made it super easy. Just a high-five to the forum members here who help keep these cars on the road more than they will ever know.

Now only if I could find something like that for removing the door regulator assembly. Found a really good procedure for taking the door panel off, but there isn't a lot about how to remove the regulator. The service manual really just says undo some bolts and has a couple arrows. Any best practices out there which might help?

Also Scott if you wanted to get that one where I could buy the regulator you don't need off you, I would still be up for that as a fallback plan. Driver's side, right?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
If you did the EGR plate you should not have too much trouble with the window regulator.

If you want the regulator and would like me to obtain it my offer stands. You probably shoul just PM me & we can make the arrangements.

Once you have the trim panel removed the are 9 or 10 bolts with 10mm heads. 2 hold the glass to the regulator, 2 on the top of the regulator, 2 the bottom, & 3 or 4 holding the motor & unplug the motor. The 2 that are going to be difficult for you are the ones that bolt the glass to the regulator, since you can't move the window down for easy access the might be hidden under the inner edge of the door shell. You might have to use a thin ratchet wrench or if you unbolt the regulator first it might drop down and give you more room. I take the glass out of the channel once unbolted & set it aside so it doesn't drop down while I'm removing the regulator. When the glass is unbolted you rotate the front of the glass down & when it gets to the correct angle you can pull up and it should come out. Installation is mostly just the reverse, slide in, front down rotate into the run channels, once in the proper orientation slide down bolt to regulator.

Couple other tips: remove the mirror interior trim 1st, pry out gently, I use a plastic pry tool.
When you take the screw out of the interior handle, push the handle/bezel assy toward the front of the car as it has directional hooks. It will only move about 1/4 inch & then pop out so you can disconnect the plug to the door lock switch & rod from the handle to the latch.
You must remove the door speaker cover, unscrew the speaker & unplug (be gentle with the speaker as not to damage the cone material), the are 3 screws that hold the door trim panel to the door shell.
There are also the 2 screws at the interior pull/handle, each under a little cover that pry off gently.
Once the trim panel is removed there is a piece of light plastic that is supposed to be there. The plastic is a water shield & keeps water & moisture from getting to & damaging the trim panel. Try to remove it carefully & if necessary use some tape to hold it back in place prior to reinstalation of the trim panel.

I have tried to cover as much as I can to help.
If you have any questions please don't hesitate contact me.
HTH
Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Umm guys I'm not an expert in power window motors but I think cleaning and greasing the motor isn't going to fix it....

Looks like the motor is missing the stator. I looked inside the door and did not see it. I have no idea how this got this way. But looks like going to need a new regulator, at least a new motor.

Question, can I just buy the motor itself and swap it out, or do you need to buy the whole motor and regulator?

Scott can you confirm the part you need is on the driver's side right? Also my friend, I want to thank you for your instructions. The removal process took about 20 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
Complete assy, motor not sold separate. Some times the problem is the cable that frays and binds up & wipes out the assy. Sometimes the cable brakes and the window falls down in the door. When the assy is built the cable wraps around the drive pulley and if you try to take the motor off the regulator you may never get it back together correctly. If it were truly serviceable they would sell the parts separately.

If you need the driver side, it is the LEFT one. Left & Right in a car is always when you are seated in the drivers seat. Be careful using the word "right" and use the word "correct".

You need a left side window regulator, that is correct.

HTH,
Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Scott sent you a PM. I'm not looking forward to trying to get that thing back in there, when I was removing some of the bolts I was thinking to myself, this is NOT going to be fun trying to get this bolt back in here. So now I need to reinstall the window until the replacement part comes in, and I am guessing that there is no way to temporarily install it in the up position without re-installing the full regulator assembly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On other idea, I wonder if the rotor portion isn't actually working and I could just go get a stator piece from a junkyard and install the stator piece on top the rotor and it would work. I'd need to know what other cars use the same motor (not regulator assembly, just the motor). Anyone have any ideas on that and if it would work?

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
Put glass back in channel, push all the way up, measure from the inside of the door shell to the bottom of the glass cut a small piece or 2 of wood like a 1"X2" slightly longer & wedge in place. May be secure wood on the ends with 200mph tape, then don't exceed speed rating of tape while waiting for replacement part.

Responded to your PM
HTH,
Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wanted to give update. Thanks to a tip by KLR3CYL, I bought a replacement regulator w/ motor for $65 plus shipping and installed it. Works great, problem is fixed. Also now have a driver's side regulator with partial motor for sale if anyone wants to restore the original LOL.

One item of interest. The motor of my original had 3 screws holding the casing on, one centerline on one side and two in the corner of the other. When I received the replacement part, it only had one screw centerline on either side. It appears 1) this was not the original regulator that came with the car and 2) at some point, the design of the motor changed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
8 Participants
Honda hybrid442
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing