Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. To the Canadians in the group, I could use some advice. I'm driving to Toronto from Illinois on Sunday, and I'll be there for a week. Any tips? What gas should I use while there (I figure I'll have to fill up once). Any advice you could give me on any aspect of driving in your country would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Use the cheapest gas. I've had no problems with it after 2+ years.Anything else is overkill for the Insight.

Perhaps you can meet up with Guillermo, Opal, or Aaron. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi trs,

I try to stick with Sunoco, since it's suppose to be the enviro-friendliest of the lot (who knows if that's accurate, but it's the favourite of the racing gang for other reasons)

Speeds on the 401 range from 100 km/h to 135 or so. I usually stick with 115 to 120 (~75mph = lean burn for me). At a Toronto Insight meet in 2003, the only one of us to have gotten a speeding ticket was the American driver who'd come up for the meet. Ooops :)

Depending on when you're heading up the 401, there's an auto-x in Woodstock on Sunday (you'll go right past it). Guillermo and I will be there.
Let me know if you want directions to stop in!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Toronto has the busiest highway in north america the 401.
It has 16 lanes of traffic!
Just go with the flow....
During the rush hours it's often slow or stop and go crawling :evil:

My advice is don't try to pay for things with American cash, we are not a 3rd world country. If a store accepts your cash they are ripping you off badly :wink:

We should have another Insight meet in Toronto this week.
I know there are some others on this board in the Toronto area that I have not met yet.
When are you available?

·
Registered
741 Posts
I got a ticket in Saskatchewan. The speed limit is only ~60 mph, and I was driving through the middle of nowhere (nothing but grass), and the stupid cop gave me a ticket.

What can't Canada have sensible limits like the 75 in Utah or Montana?

troy

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I got my first ticket ever for the same kind of situation.

I was in Nebraska driving back from summer work in Colorado. There was a straight road for about 1000 miles (however wide Nebraska is) and i was passing a truck and went up to about 80 mph. Some cop made a big U-turn through the median and didn't care that I was on my way back to lead a freshman back-packing trip for new kids arriving at college that fall. I got the ticket for 80, which was accurate, but a bit silly it seemed to me.

Then you see people running stop signs and going 50 mph past school kids and cops doing nothing.

It goes to show that the laws are not always enforced with common sense.

I think our 'little red rockets' are probably even more susceptible because they look so cool and sleek.

·
Registered
242 Posts
driving in Canada/speed tickets

Good news is, if you're from the States and get a ticket in Canada, it doesn't follow you back - just pay it and it's done with.

As far as using US dollars, you'll get a better exchange rate if you charge everything. Most cards don't charge a foreign currency fee, but some do.

Guillermo,

I travel to Ontario a couple times a year at least, and have taken a few motorcycle trips across Canada. Most places don't seem to mind taking US dollars - and many of them will even give a decent exchange rate. On this last trip some kid working at a Tim Horton's took US dollars on par - but with the dollar so low it doesn't matter too much on small purchases.

trs,

driving in Canada is pretty much like driving in the US - except that generally people in Canada are more polite for the most part. Gas is more expensive there, of course - more of a real world price.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I just remembered I got TWO tickets in Canada.

I was driving through New/Nouveau Brunswick, and it was snowing heavily (I was only driving ~20 mph). It stopped. Then about half an hour later, a cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket for "blocking the plate with snow".

Well DUH. It was snowing. He could have cut me some slack.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice. It will help greatly.

Opal, best I can figure is I will be passing Woodstock early afternoon. Go ahead and get me the directions... don't know if Ill be able to stop by, but I'll try.

Guillermo, I know I'm free during the day on Monday (my first seminar is at 5 pm), other than that, not sure what my schedule will be like. Going to a conference/convention/workshops all week.

Thanks again, all.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Event details are here www.wosca.com/Event_info/WinterSeries2005.htm

From the 401, eastbound:

1. Drive east on the 401 until you get to the County Rd 2 (Dundas St.) exit for Woodstock (Ext# 238B, 2nd exit past the 403 ramp).

2. Take Highway 2 West (1 km).

3. Mall is on the right hand side (just look for a lot of Subarus ;) ).

We should be there until 4:30 or so.

Look forward to meeting you!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re: driving in Canada/speed tickets

Jim said:
Good news is, if you're from the States and get a ticket in Canada, it doesn't follow you back - just pay it and it's done with.
Not true for residents of New York State who get ticketed in Ontario or Quebec. It will follow you. In fact, you are better of getting a ticket in say New Jersey as it will not follow you.

Also, when travelling in Canada, don't forget to carry a Canadian proof of insurance card. You regular proof of insurance is not valid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the tips. Opal, I'm sorry I didn't make the meet in London... by the time I reached there, it was after 5 pm (got stuck in traffic in Chicago, and my girlfriend wanted to stop for a while in Michigan). Canada was a great experience (and the roads are much better than Michigan), and I hope to get up there again, preferably in warmer weather.

Thanks again for all the advice. It helped make a productive week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts