Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
There is...

a sound system information page somewhere on this site.

When I went to replace the speakers on my '03, I took it with me to the shop. The model numbers are all superceded, but the sales representative was familiar enough with the lines to know what numbers were current (if I'd had a clue, I would have written them down so we could update the page).

Anyhoo, I listened to the Pioneer, Clarion and Eclipse speakers recommended. The Eclipses seemed to have a slightly more segmented sound--that is, the different instruments could be separated more easily. That's what I went with, and they took the suggestion sheet for aligning the speakers out on the installation floor with them.

You can also keep the factory screens so people won't know you have a set of $120 speakers in your car.

The end result is so good I don't feel a need for rear speakers, as the page had suggested. I understand that '04s came with them standard, though.

If they only had ensured the hood was latched before I drove off in the car, I would be able to recommend the installer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too have an '04, and spent a good bit of time looking for the best replacement drop-in speakers. I tried the Pioneer 3-ways (don't have ready access to the exact part numer), but the stock speaker cover would not fit after installation. The inside of the speaker grill would have required shaving to make it fit. I didn't want to do this. I wanted speakers that would actually drop-in without any modification.

Everybody talks about the Eclipse speakers, and my biggest problem was finding anything out about them. The model numbers mentioned on most all documents and threads in this system reference outdated models that are no longer available. Also, finding a dealer in my area where I could look and listen to them proved unsuccessful. I get the impression that these speakers are not even marked in the US, but maybe they have them someplace.

On eBay, I found one, repeat ONE, listing for the Eclipse 8363 speaker. It is a very good sounding 3-way speaker (hard to find 3-ways that drop in for our car!). It is a true drop in (at least for the 04). They sounded a good bit better than the Pioneer 3-ways (which didn't fit due to grill cover). Installation takes a very small number of mintues and is perfectly clean (All you need is a phillips and flat-head screwdriver). Although they are not 100W extremely high-end speakers, they aren't cheap either. I was very impressed by them. I purchased one set off a guy on eBay to try them out, was very satisfied, and then placed a second order and bought a second set for the rear.

Also, without the services of a detective, it's pretty darn difficult to even find Eclipse's web site. Here it is:

http://www.eclipse-web.com/

I purchased 2 packages of wiring adapters from Circuit City online. They offer free shipping on them. Each package contains 2 adapters. Honda's have an odd wiring connection to their speakers, and you can't simply remove them and plug the car wiring to new speakers. These adapters allow a simple and clean installation. Here is where you can find the adapters (you can probably pick them up at your local Circity City, but I think they charge a couple extra bucks for them):

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra-Sp ... tDetail.do

I just checked on eBay, and there are no Eclipse 8363 speakers up for sale. Here is the link to the closed auction where I purchased them. The guy selling them seems to put up one at a time, and sells them using "buy it now". Keep an eye on it, and I am sure you will see them in a day or so:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

I have noticed other used and even other new Eclipse 8363's on ebay. The new ones are commonly from a guy who happens to have a single set in his posession. If it helps, keep in mind the guy I bought them from seems to have an endless supply and is not just trying to unload something he picked up somewhere. My experience was very good with this seller ... the boxes were brand new, all paperwork was in the box, screws, wires, etc. were as you would expect. (of course, I didn't need the screws and wires, but it was one more clear indication they were new)

Important Note: In fact, the speakers I received were brand new. However, as is common when authorized dealers sell surplus product to gray market resellers such as those on eBay, they hide the original source of the items by removing serial numbers. The packages have been opened, and serial number stickers removed from the speakers. I took a chance, and was satisfied ... even purchasing a second set. Speakers won't go bad unless you purposely blow them out. I suspect warranty coverage would be difficult, but probably unnecessary.

Hope this might give you some ideas! Good Luck!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I just ordered a set of Pioneer's from Crutchfield. The website has a feature that will give you a list of speakers that fit without modfications. They will also send you the wiring adapters free with your order. And no sales tax, if you are lucky.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Any low-profile 6.5" speaker with universal mounts should fit into the OEM speaker location. The only question is how much of the plastic grille you have to scoop away. For my Eclipses, it was a small amount and for the Kenwood Excelons I have now it was a bit more. EDIT - so don't limit yourself to the dated information available on the main site, there are a lot of options.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Replaced my speakers; why the rattle?

Okay, here's a classic "you probably can't answer without looking at the car" question.

I replaced my speakers with some Infinitys I bought used off of ebay. They sound great; I used my dremel tool to carve out the back side of the stock speaker grills.

But when I crank the volume, or when I hit the "extra bass" button on my receiver, I start getting rattling from the speakers. I have to admit that since I rarely listen that loud, I haven't taken time to dig into the cause. I'm assuming it's rattling between the grill covers and the door panel -- but I don't know whether it's because I didn't carve out enough material from the back of the grills (in which case I can get the dremel tool out again); or whether it's because the grill covers just click into place without any sealant or damping anyway, and they are likely to rattle at high volume just because the door panel is rattling.

Yes, I need to pop the panels off and check. But before I settle in for a long weekend morning while my wife chases the kids, does anyone have any thoughts?

Has anyone else noticed rattling from the grills, even if they are carved out enough?

Thanks,
MF

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well I've got some Infinity Kappa 63.3's in my Insight (had to dremel the plastic and some metal out). I don't use the grills because they don't fit at all. I did experience some rattling when I cranked it up a bit so I put some Dynomat behind the door panel and it deadened everything out. Sounds fine. Use some Dynomat Extreme (I didn't even pop the door panels off but it would be better if you did).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kapps said:
I don't use the grills because they don't fit at all.
I like the Kappas sound, and I'd like to have all Infinity speakers, but i'm trying to keep the system as stealthy as possible. Having a highly visible sound system in a Honda in Chicagoland is asking for trouble. I'm trying to keep my break-ins down to twice this year.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wow...breaking into an Insight...they must be desperate for gas money :lol: . Yea the Kappas are probably the best car speakers I've heard. I was going to figure out some way to custom design a grill for them but that was 2 years ago and it's still on the drawing board. I've only got one little divit in the drivers side speaker and it doesn't do anything to affect the sound. The crossovers keep going even though water gets into the door panel every time it rains.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I checked...

...the website for the shop that installed my Eclipse speaker and the "SE8363" model number others mentioned is correct.

Unfortunately, they're listing the product as "In-store pickup only."

I bet if you googled or hit up buy.com you could find these speakers.

They're nice speakers, and the crackling I experienced with the stock speakers and my iPod is eliminated.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kapps said:
Wow...breaking into an Insight...they must be desperate for gas money
Work has me doing quite a bit of traveling to some of the less savory parts of Chicago(land). This past 6 weeks I was at 6 of the street festivals, 5 of our stores parked on some...interesting streets for several hours and a few other fun spots around town. The Insight into Insights sheet was extremely helpful (Citrus you rock) by the way.

Dunno how it is in other parts of the US, but round here Hondas get broken into more often than other cars, specifically Civics. Not quite the same but Im a bit wary. My truck got smashed open on New Years Day. Took my stereo, sub, amp and laptop pc, left the cellphone. 3 months later the bastages took my mp3 player. So far I havent had anything but interested looks at the Blue Devil. I dont wanna take any chances.

It sucks, but there are a lot of people pumping up their audio systems and the criminal element just does what theyre good at. Bunch of savages in this town...

·
Registered
39 Posts
First, thanks so much, Don Watson, for the adaptor plug info! I bought a set of the recommended Clarion speakers new off eBay for $15, but when it came time to put them into the car I was baffled by the plug on one hand and the wire-less speaker back on the other... Was I going to have to cut the plug off and solder individual wires to the speaker? "Oh, hell, no," I thought... So I drove around for a month with only one speaker while I tried to find time to take the car to an audio installer. But yesterday I got the adaptor plugs and put the speaker in myself. Sweet!

What I'm wondering is what tool you guys use to carve out the back of the plastic Insight speaker cover, so I can make it fit over the speaker and finish the job up. I've got a power drill, but I'm not terribly keen on going after the plastic with a drill bit... Do you use grinder attachments? Do they get all clogged with melted plastic?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A Dremel or similar power hand tool with the cutting attachment should do the trick nicely. I got a Black & Decker that is quite similar at my local Home Depot for $29.

·
Registered
408 Posts
We used a Dremel. Not too hard cutting plastic; the metal is another story (for bigggg magnets). It might take a few charges to get through it so get a corded one if you don't want the hassle.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would suggest NOT cutting anything out from behind the door speakers. The previous owner of my Insight did that (cut both plastic and metal) and now water leaks in.

·
Registered
408 Posts
dazey said:
I would suggest NOT cutting anything out from behind the door speakers. The previous owner of my Insight did that (cut both plastic and metal) and now water leaks in.
Yea, mine leaks but after 2 years, the speakers and crossovers mounted on the bottom inside of the door panels haven't had a single problem...knocking on wood. It seems to be only after really heavy rain that the water will puddle inside the doors.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hello, water can not accumulate inside the doors, the drain holes are Very large.

Water can either follow the plastic sheet that is not holding well and go inside or it can follow (sometimes after hitting internal components inside the door) the speaker hole.
I did some work on that in 2001: http://yves.fungiart.com/pages/waterleak.htm

To drktrpr I already tried the plastic thing but I could ear the plastic vibrate. It is why I ended with magarin cups. Nice site you got there.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
If you pop open the strange looking connectors, you will find 2 standard spade plugs inside! if you do it carefully, you can save the undamaged plastic sheaths in case you want to go back to stock later. :) just remember to note the color coded polarity first.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts