Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking to stick some sound deadening material to the roof but before I purchase the material, need to make sure I can drop the headliner. So I tried removing every single trim, handles, lights.. but stopped at the last C pillar trims. It feels like there is some thing (maybe clips) at the end near the hatch/antenna that stick the headliner to the roof, its just feel too stiff and tight..headliner not moving.

Anyone done it before, care to share?

·
Super Moderator
1,550 Posts
In the rear based on what you said you’ve removed the two plastic clips that you can see. There is a metal clip hot glued to the other side of the headliner card that snaps into the metal roof inner structure. Also, when you say at the “C” pillars I think you are talking about the quarter panel interior trim. You need to unbolt the hatch struts to pop the quarter trims our enough to clear the headliner.

When the headliner comes down it goes out the front door, not the hatch.

HTH,
Scott

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would like to know how you removed the rear left and right molding. I could not figure it out. My headliner (and roof) was collapsed in the front, so after removing the trim I could, I took a chance and pulled from the front. Turns out that it popped back in shape and with the exception of a barely noticeable crease, it will be fine.

I would not advise this (thanks Scott for the correct method) but it seems that the headliner is pretty robust and it will be going back in.

Problem is, until I figure out how those rear pillar moldings are attached, I'm afraid to yank them too hard and break clips. And it won't go back in the way it came out. Any tips?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the rear based on what you said you’ve removed the two plastic clips that you can see. There is a metal clip hot glued to the other side of the headliner card that snaps into the metal roof inner structure. Also, when you say at the “C” pillars I think you are talking about the quarter panel interior trim. You need to unbolt the hatch struts to pop the quarter trims our enough to clear the headliner.

When the headliner comes down it goes out the front door, not the hatch.

HTH,
Scott
Yes Scott, precisely the quarter panel trims where the rear seatbelts goes through. I managed to pull that out but not fully, enough to unseat the headliner away from the slot on the trim. That is when I realized the headliner is not coming down, it look like something still holding it. I removed the hatch weatherstrip and try to peep but it is curved upward, dare not pull it down afraid might cause a crease/fold the headliner. So now my guess were right, there are 2 clips on headliner, any idea how do I unplug? Just grab the headliner edge and yank it downward?

I would like to know how you removed the rear left and right molding. I could not figure it out....
Problem is, until I figure out how those rear pillar moldings are attached, I'm afraid to yank them too hard and break clips. And it won't go back in the way it came out. Any tips?
I took the safest way actually, removed the spare tires and foam. Remove the boot centre trim where the hatch hook located. Remove the boot centre trim piece near the rear seat. Pull out the boot side trim slightly to make room for top quarter panel trim to come out. I use a long flat head driver to un-clip the top quarter panel trim, the clips can be seen from the gap.

Man I went through all that but stopped when the headliner still wont come down, thanks to Scott confirmed there are 2 clips on the headliner, now I will have to figure how to yank/remove the clips out.

·
Super Moderator
1,550 Posts
Don’t yank on the headliner and pull down, you will probably damage it. Those back 2 clips usually either break the head off or you end up cutting them off with a pair of diagonal cutters. These clips are what we refer to as Christmas tree type, as the little barbs are somewhat like the branches. Once you cut the heads off the remainder of the clip will be stuck in the hole, the remainder can be removed once the headliner card is out of the way.

These 2 clips are a little shorter than other ones in the car or that I have found as replacements. With new ones prior to reassembly I normally have to cut them down a little bit or they will bottom out in the hole.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Pictures and Questions (1 of 3)

These are from a GEN 1.

Pictures first. The headliner, hidden side, back half:

FRONT OF CAR
headliner.jpg
REAR OF CAR

Above. Note stuff attached to rear center, sides.
Below, detail of stuff on the sides

FRONT OF CAR
headliner-side.jpg
REAR OF CAR

Above, stuff glued to sides.
Below, hidden clip attached to rear center of headliner:

FRONT OF CAR
headliner-hidden-clip.jpg
REAR OF CAR

Above, hidden clip fits into slot in roof. Click/double click to zoom in.
Next post: inside views of the roof

·
Registered
630 Posts
Pictures and Questions, 2/3

These are from a GEN 1.

More pictures, this time looking at interior roof exposed by headliner removal. Questions near the end.

Below, overview of roof area:

FRONT OF CAR
roof.jpg
REAR OF CAR

Above: red squares are headliner mount points. The center square is the slot for the clip in the last picture of the prior post. The side squares are for the pins that are best clipped off to minimize headliner damage (thanks Scott! I didn't know and my headliner not only has broken clips but the scuffs to show for the effort).

While we're staring at this part of the roof: Green squares are an antenna mod. The top green square is where the radio antenna used to mount. This is the initial installment of an NMO mount for an amateur radio antenna, not wired in yet. A cap can be installed for hypermiling. The bottom green square is a glass-mount scanner antenna (inside mounting box not installed.) Initial tests without the RF preamp suggest it does better on some FM frequencies and worse on others than the factory antenna with the preamp, depending on the antenna used. It can be folded completely down for hypermiling. More on this mod in another thread.

Below: center slot for hidden clip attached to the headliner, and for reference, the clip on the headliner:

FRONT OF CAR'
roof-center-clip-slot.jpg headliner-hidden-clip.jpg
REAR OF CAR

@hondainsight, Is this what's hanging up your headliner?

I had *no idea* this clip existed until this thread (even though I've been able to see both sides of the headliner!) and got really lucky when I pulled my headliner forward first. The clip must have popped downward and out of the hole before I tore it off in the slot.

QUESTION So the correct headliner removal procedure is to first pull it forward to move the clip into the wider part of the slot? I presume that the correct procedure is to press on this before pulling forward to note how much much play is there before you pull forward, so that when you pull forward, you can feel the play increase when it moves into the wider part of the slot?

QUESTION Reinstallation: do you push it into the wide part of the slot, then while holding the pin into the slot, push the headliner rearward? I suspect it would snag on the narrow part of the slot and possibly tear off. Is the correct procedure to align the holes on either side, which would then align the center clip with the narrow portion of the slot, then push the clip in until it snaps in? (do not push rearward to reinstall?)

I bring this up because I'm considering installing an access port in the headliner so that I can work in this area in the future.

Below: detail of receptacle for one of the two clips that you cut off:

FRONT OF CAR
roof-side-clip-hole.jpg
REAR OF CAR

Above: there's not much room here, but you could install one of those clips that holds a screw, and screw the headliner in, perhaps using a finishing washer to hold the headliner?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Pictures and Questions 3 of 3

These are from a GEN 1.

The rest of this is questions about how to get the side pillar fascia out.

This is the fascia I'm talking about, with the attachment points I've found so far circled:

side-fascia.jpg

...and the three attachment points I can see with the headliner out...

side-fascia-top-mount-points.jpg

...and a close-up of one of those mount-points:

side-fascia-mount-point-detail.jpg

QUESTION So I basically need to remove all the trim and the hatchback shock and seat belts and whatever else to get full access to these panels to remove them. Or is there a shortcut? If not, then what? Are the mount points at the top slotted so that if I pull upward and out they will slide out? Are there other hidden clips further down and how do I get them out without destroying the clip (if possible) or the fascia?

Thank you!!!!!

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
This is posted in the 2nd gen forum, I think Sean has a 1st gen Insight. HondaInsight, which generation car do you have? It may be that both generation cars have similar headliners?

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
Moved.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
Ok. Moved back. I think most of the help in this thread applies to the G1.

Sam

·
Registered
630 Posts

Sam
Noob error, my bad. I found the thread in "new posts" and saw lots of Gen 1s in the signatures and did not consider the source. I'll make up for it by posting a proper G1 write-up when I have it back together.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Sam
Is ok some of the tips can be related to Gen 2. Appreciate fellow forummers effort and thanks them for sharing so much especially Sean (even though his is Gen 1).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Un resolved

I need to drop my headliner. I’ve gone thru this and other threads on the subject. Lots of good photos and input from forum members. But the removal story never resolves itself into a clear removal procedure. Best I can tell the forward light and visor hardware is removed. Then the rear edge is pulled out of the groove in the rubber hatch trim. Then The two clips on each side of the rear are either popped out or cut. Last, and This part is conjecture, but looks like it would work for removal, and in reverse for replacement, the whole headliner is pulled forward until it clears the quarter panel trim. (assuming it clears the mirror) please, some clarity and completion from someone who has done it successfully.

So previous thread discussion talked of moving this thread to the gen 1 section. Looks like that never hapened.

·
Super Moderator
1,550 Posts
I’ll try to make a video.

I’ve done it a couple dozen times.

Scott

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like a lot of work- is it really worth it? As in does it make a difference? thanks
A lot of work indeed, for me definitely worth the effort. The rain hitting the roof sound is solid dub-dub-dub, no more hollow metal sheet noise. Cabin is much quieter too 🥰

1. Headliner dropped, did not remove out from car, enough room to do the job.
top_liner.jpg

2. Done.
top.jpg

3. Rear roof where the 2 clips attached to
rear.jpg

4. The 2 clips on the headliner
clips.jpg

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well there seems to be all the info I need to get the headliner out. I need to do it eventually. Not just for sound proofing. The fabric is loose all around the edge and sagging in the field in places. I know I’m being a wimp, but I dread removing any plastic parts from an 18 yr old car yr old car due to spontaneous destruction of old plastic. And it appears all the surrounding plastic trim has to come off. Someone in a thread somewhere made the good suggestion that the plastic is more forgiving when warm.
So I’ll wait till a warm day or next summer. May be by then there will be a video of the removal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts