Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, I made a right turn in my 2001 Honda Insight and accelerated to enter a freeway on-ramp. As I did so, power to the drive wheels ceased and I coasted to a stop on the access road. There was no unusual noise from the transmission. Neither drive nor reverse worked.

I had the car towed to a Honda dealer for diagnostics. The mechanic reported a P1885 code, which he interpreted as "needs new transmission." That seems unlikely, since the vehicle has been maintained religiously according to Honda specifications using Honda CVT fluid.

In researching this code in the troubleshooting forum, I read that the code can indicate a short or failure of a shaft speed sensor. I also ran across an a post from an owner who experienced a similar event, also yielding the P1885 code, which he said was misinterpreted by the mechanic as transmission failure. The owner had the CVT shaft speed sensors replaced and in his words, his car is "alive again and drives fine."

Has anyone else dealt with a P1885 code in a similar situation who can confirm that sensor failures can trigger a total power loss without the transmission being at fault?

I would appreciate all the feedback I can get.

·
Administrator
12,438 Posts
Well it's either the sensor failure if that's what that code indicates or perhaps the more common input shaft spline failure... Do some more digging about CVT input shaft spline failures..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Input shaft spline failure

Thanks for the reply. I'll research that suggestion.

Would it be accurate to assume that a shaft spline failure would leave metal debris in the transmission oil pan? If so, draining a bit oil would either rule that explanation in or out, correct?

Thanks.

James

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts
No. The splines that fail are in the flywheel. There is no way that shavings could get inside the transmission. I'm pretty sure the spline failure doesn't set any code.

Sam

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
IIRC the spline failure does set a code... I guess the TCM is aware of engine rpms, and gets to wondering why the throttle is depressed and the engine is revving, but the output side isn't turning.

Maybe the input side sensor is supposed to agree with the engine rpms in a more fine-gained way as a sanity check?

In any case, a bunch of metal in the fluid/on the drain plug would help diagnose.

If there's nothing but the normal amount on the plug, then your splines are the most likely suspect.

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
Based on your discription it is probably a stripped flywheel.

We have a car here in the shop that was in stop & go traffic, the owner stepped in it to go and it quit going. The vehicle was towed to a local Honda dealer service department and was diagnosed as a transmission.

The customer asked us to tow it in and check it. Pulled the transmission this morning and the flywheel is stripped out in the center, see the photo below.

We have a local machine shop that can and does cur out the center and weld in a new spline. It is $250.00. We have done this several other times.

HTH,
Scott

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
What do they use or get a new spline center from?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
It is a machine shop, they have the technology to make a new insert. They then cut out the bad center and weld in the new part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts