1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Painters tape would of been a better choice as there is no clean up. Duct tape, at least what they market as duct tape leaves a stickie residue behind. Goo gone works to get rid of that.

True duct tape is the aluminum tape you see at the hardware store. That is made for fixing air leaks in duct work like your heater or air condition system in your home.

·
Registered
554 Posts
True duct tape is the aluminum tape you see at the hardware store. That is made for fixing air leaks in duct work like your heater or air condition system in your home.
And for sealing the gaps around the IMA battery cooling fan. :D

It looks like most of the contestants were using painter's tape. The one guy (the winner?) with black tape appears to be using gaffer's tape. It's very expensive duct tape that actually sticks to stuff and doesn't leave any residue.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I think they are just having fun. The blue tape looks like painters tape.

I am sure the mpg was done with a lot of stuff you couldnt do during rush hour on most major highways. Average speed maybe 17 mph.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Small hi tech 3 cylinder engine CVT box and Bridgestone Ecopia or Yokohama Bluearth 165 65 14's Low rolling resistance tyres. People shouldn't be that surprised.

Pretty sure there'd be more to the gallon from an insight on more modern LRR tyres if people here could be persuaded to move away from 15yr old technology RE92's. We'll see how I do once my IMA pack is fixed up!

Bluearth are very quiet and comfortable so far. Getting 22km per litre with no IMA in heavy traffic with a seriously long steep hill.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Pretty sure there'd be more to the gallon from an insight on more modern LRR tyres if people here could be persuaded to move away from 15yr old technology RE92's.
Many U.S. Insight owners have tried all sorts of other tires but none has matched the RE92 to date in terms of fuel efficiency. I don't think that many would argue that the RE92 has great traction, is very quiet, wears very well, etc., but so far, it appears to have the lowest rolling resistance of any tire we have been able to find and test.

Very few 165/65R14 tires are available in the U.S. due to Americans' disdain for small cars, so maybe there are better tires available elsewhere. The 165/65R14 Bridgestone Ecopia is not available in the U.S. The Yokohama Bluearth is not sold in the U.S, and Yokohama doesn't sell any 165/65R14 tire in the U.S. However, European Insight owners haven't reported anything to match their discontinued OEM tires which were not RE92's. In fact, a few have imported RE92's from the U.S. (e.g., me :)

We would love to have a more modern tire than the RE92, but most of us are unwilling to sacrifice fuel efficiency. So we're all still waiting for something that's available and that's better than the RE92.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You miss the point a little - the Mitsubishi Mirages have the same size tyres as the Insight and Low rolling resistance too as standard.

In NZ the Mitsi's come with Yokohamas or Bridgestone Ecopias standard fitment. I presume the US ones are similarly equipped with new LRR 165 65 14's

In Europe Brdigestone sell highly rated Ecopias:

EP001S

I cant get those in NZ:(

RE92 are almost mythological on this site it needs pointing out for those outside the US that much better (grip and noise possibly economy) tyres may be available.

If US Insight drivers only ever demand RE92 they'll never be offered the better stuff - it has to be better after 15 years product development doesn't it?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
You miss the point a little - the Mitsubishi Mirages have the same size tyres as the Insight and Low rolling resistance too as standard.

In NZ the Mitsi's come with Yokohamas or Bridgestone Ecopias standard fitment. I presume the US ones are similarly equipped with new LRR 165 65 14's
When I searched for 165/65R14 tires on a large Internet tire dealer in the U.S., TireRack.com, I found that the Dunlop Enasave is the only tire other than the RE92 that Tire Rack carries in this size. The reviews of this tire state that it is the OEM Mirage tire. The reviews aren't favorable and specifically recommend the RE92 over the Enasave.

The OEM tire for my i-MiEV is also the Dunlop Enasave but in 15" sizes. i-MiEV owners complain that these tires wear out fast and are expensive, and that they cannot find a better alternative.

One Insight owner has replaced his RE92's with Enasaves and hasn't noticed a fuel efficiency hit (but he admittedly doesn't stress fuel economy in his CVT). So maybe this will turn out to be a reasonable replacement despite poor reviews by Mirage owners.

In Europe Brdigestone sell highly rated Ecopias:

EP001S

I can't get those in NZ:(
They aren't available in the U.S., either.

RE92 are almost mythological on this site it needs pointing out for those outside the US that much better (grip and noise possibly economy) tyres may be available.
European Insight owners have been searching for a tire better than their OEM Bridgestone B391, but even with a much better selection than in the U.S., there still doesn't seem to be a clear winner. At least the E.U. now rates rolling resistance, but I'm not aware of any 165/65R14 tire that has received an "A" rolling resistance rating.

If US Insight drivers only ever demand RE92 they'll never be offered the better stuff - it has to be better after 15 years product development doesn't it?
One would think so, but what is it? Not only does it need to match the RE92 in low rolling resistance but also in low weight, apparently a tough combination to beat.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think this is an American vs the rest of the world issue. I can find both the Bridgestone Ecopia and the Yokohama Bluearth in a 165/70r14 in Europe; but in the US, the thinnest Blueearth is a 205/* and I can't find a Ecopia for smaller than a 15" rim.

·
Registered
554 Posts
They never get this name correct. It's "duck tape" because it's made from duck cloth.
Dear fellow pedant,

Both usages are correct, though "duct tape" is more correct and widely used since the 1950's. :D
"Duck Tape" has actually been trademarked as a brand of duct tape since 1975 since nobody called it "duck tape" anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
I wonder if taping like they did increased ect and iat like we do when air mod'g.
On a humorous note: There is a nuclear grade of duct (k) tape. Encouraging eh ? (I read it in Ripley's believe it or not).

·
Registered
943 Posts
May be worth mentioning, Honda's current 1.6l diesel civic has an automated grill block related to temperature. They are getting a real world average in the UK (according to www.honestjohn.co.UK RealMPG register) just under 68 mpgUK (57 mpgUS). That's quite extraordinary for real world* average non hypermiling usage for a car that size. The I2's averaging just over 51 mpgUK on the same site.

* Real world in the UK probably means lots of traffic and stops in urban areas, 60mph extra urban single carriegaway speed, 70 mph (+) motorway or dual carrriageway speed. We can't drive 55...

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
When I searched for 165/65R14 tires on a large Internet tire dealer in the U.S., TireRack.com, I found that the Dunlop Enasave is the only tire other than the RE92 that Tire Rack carries in this size. The reviews of this tire state that it is the OEM Mirage tire. The reviews aren't favorable and specifically recommend the RE92 over the Enasave.

The OEM tire for my i-MiEV is also the Dunlop Enasave but in 15" sizes. i-MiEV owners complain that these tires wear out fast and are expensive, and that they cannot find a better alternative.

One Insight owner has replaced his RE92's with Enasaves and hasn't noticed a fuel efficiency hit (but he admittedly doesn't stress fuel economy in his CVT). So maybe this will turn out to be a reasonable replacement despite poor reviews by Mirage owners.

They aren't available in the U.S., either.

European Insight owners have been searching for a tire better than their OEM Bridgestone B391, but even with a much better selection than in the U.S., there still doesn't seem to be a clear winner. At least the E.U. now rates rolling resistance, but I'm not aware of any 165/65R14 tire that has received an "A" rolling resistance rating.

One would think so, but what is it? Not only does it need to match the RE92 in low rolling resistance but also in low weight, apparently a tough combination to beat.
Lighter tire means less carrying capacity right? Because if so, with most Americans now weighting half of what the insight does, they would blow out tires all the time. (I live in Cali btw, Capitol of fat people).

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Nope. The "Fat Belt" is way ahead of the DPRK.
Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Data and Statistics: Adult Obesity - DNPAO - CDC

Even so, a lighter tire doesn't always mean a lower load rating. The specs on Tire Rack will tell you what the capacity is. Most likely two oversized Americans will exceed the GVW of the Insight before they would exceed the load capacity of the tires. YMMV.
TIL Cali is actually somewhat skinny. Anyway, I forgot to mention earlier, I put tape (not sure what it is exactly I 'borrowed' it from my old job)but that with my front air dam gave me like 2.5mpg. So yea.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts