Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 2000 Insight dyno tested today. 36200miles, tire pressure 51psi, Mobil 1 oil, K&N air filter. Car does have the common stumble under slight throttle. Which I assume is just the EGR valve.

Stock numbers based on Honda info is
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
I'm not sure if the numbers are measured at the flywheel or at the drive wheels. Its very common for car manufactors to use the flywheel HP.

First dyno run MAX POWER 66.2hp MAX TORQUE 94.4lb-ft at the wheels.

I had let off the throttle @ 5300rpm, so max power could have been higher.
Max torque was in first gear so the true max torque is [email protected] Dyno runs are ran in the gear that is close to 1.000

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2nd run

Second dyno was ran with in a few minutes of the other. Regenatrive braking was not used at the end of the first run. Lower battery level was the result.

As soon as the run was over battery level went to 2 bars.

MAX POWER 64.8hp MAX torque 88.7lb-ft

Max torque was measured in first gear. Actual number is 74lb-ft

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3rd dyno

3rd dyno test

I had to charge the batteries for about 10 minutes. Started the test at 1/2 battery level. Engine must have been hotter.

Max POWER 60.2hp Max torque 68.1lbs-ft

This cleary shows how much is lost when the batteries are low.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting, your results clearly show the assist moter outputing as advertized - 6hp. Wondering what type of fuel your running, any smog reducing additives (MBTE or whatever it called).

Are you running 0w-20?

What is your 0-60 times at full charge?

regards

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy who ran the dyno told me that lighter weight wheels would improve the TIME it takes to reach full power. If you look at the second chart it shows how much time it takes to reach full power.

I plan on testing the car after I have the exhaust(catback) coated by http://www.airborncoatings.com I'll never use JetHot again. Then once more after I install Volk ce28n 14x5.5 rims that weigh 6.5lbs each.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
nice web site and dyno graphs.
Those are awesome rims you are getting. For aerodynamics you could cover the new rims with a thin round piece of lexan, so you can still see the sweet rims...

I really would like to see Willie dyno test his turbo Insight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's awesome.. to be able to put 66whp down on a motor that's only rated at 73hp means that either Honda slightly underrated the Insight's true power output by a couple horsepower, or else it only has a 9 or 10% drivetrain loss. Most cars are in the 12-15% loss range. Very impressive!

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
cakley said:
Max torque was in first gear so the true max torque is [email protected] Dyno runs are ran in the gear that is close to 1.000
It just occured to me: If you ever get a chance to repeat the test, could you do it in second gear? My insight gives a lot more assist in second than it does in first. In 1st, 4th and 5th assist current is limited to about 50 Amps, while I can get up to 90 Amps (briefly) in 2nd and 3rd.

Since the electric motor is a significant source of torque, this might have a real impact!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AZCivic said:
That's awesome.. to be able to put 66whp down on a motor that's only rated at 73hp means that either Honda slightly underrated the Insight's true power output by a couple horsepower, or else it only has a 9 or 10% drivetrain loss. Most cars are in the 12-15% loss range. Very impressive!
I'm using a K&N air filter, mobil 1 oil, redline watter wetter and the tire pressure was at 50-51psi. The mods have to improve the hp some over the stock.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Armin said:
It just occured to me: If you ever get a chance to repeat the test, could you do it in second gear? My insight gives a lot more assist in second than it does in first. In 1st, 4th and 5th assist current is limited to about 50 Amps, while I can get up to 90 Amps (briefly) in 2nd and 3rd.

Since the electric motor is a significant source of torque, this might have a real impact!
So you have measured this? How did you do that?

Also If the car was dyno'ed in 2nd gear it would be alot higher due to the higher gear. If tested in 5th the HP and torque would be super low.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
cakley said:
So you have measured this? How did you do that?
I have rigged a meter tapped into the battery current sensor. :wink:

If you did run in second, wouldn't you calculate out motor torque by using the correct gear ratio? So it should be comparable to the run in first gear!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is probably some type of math that can be done to convert. I wouldn't know how to do it so I'll just stick with using third gear. Third gear is pretty close 1:1 ratio

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
easy

cakley said:
There is probably some type of math that can be done to convert. I wouldn't know how to do it so I'll just stick with using third gear. Third gear is pretty close 1:1 ratio
The math is easy: just divide the torque you read by the gear ratio. So if your ratio in second is 1.750, and your torque reads 175Nm, it would be 100Nm motor torque.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts