Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this? Well, I know what it is, but what exactly does it do? How could it screw with the air intake sensors to boost HP without decreasing MPG? I totally presume that this is total crap, but I just thought I would look for a consice technical answer.

Thanks in advance!

Link to Ebay listing:
Insight Intake Sensor Mod Chip

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Max power in an internal combustion engine always ocurrs at *HIGH* RPM with a richer than average mixture. Simply skew one of several input sensors rich (but not too much or you'll set an MIL) and drive the car like you don't care whether the engine's gonna "blow" and you'll get greater HP than without the mod.

The amount of gain claimed for an Insight is probably wayyy optimistic, but its there.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's crap.

The theory is that it can fool the ECM into increasing or decreasing the amount of fuel to make more power. Problem is that every car is going to be different in the amount of fuel it wants. Some cars might have a limited power boost (maybe 0.5HP), while others will loose power.

I have seen two kinds of this "mod":

1. Replace the coolant temp sender with a fixed resistor. This effectivly eliminates the coolant temp and makes the ECM think the car is at a constant temperature. Several obvious reasons as to why this won't work.

2. Put a resistor in series with the coolant temp sender. This has the effect of shifting the reading. In theory, you could slightly control the fuel mixture a little bit assuming you calculated the correct resistor value to add or subtract the proper amount of fuel. In practice, it's crap. :)

Also you can get the same resistor from any electronics store for about 2 cents.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In playing with the hot intake mod I thought I would try and fool the ECM by making it think the intake air was 122 degrees F. I hooked up my scan tool and found that a resistance of 822 ohm would do this. However
there was absolutely no help in MPG with this mod. Don't waste your time...

:roll: Rick L

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mike Dabrowski 2000 said:
Split the exhaust and run 4 flex tubes to the front of the four tires, so the exhaust heats the tires. :twisted:
Just Kidding :wink:
QUAD Exhaust should give superior breathing too shouldn't it? LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts