Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Motorists should be taught new driving techniques to reduce carbon emissions from their vehicles, a report suggests.

A report by the Commission for Integrated Transport also suggests new rules to ensure drivers can only buy the most fuel-efficient cars. "

According to BBC News:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6990602.stm

DRIVING TIPS
Lowering car windows increases fuel consumption
As does driving with a roof rack
Drive smoothly by being gentle on the accelerator and stopping without a jolt
Driving at 80mph produces a third more CO2 than driving at 70mph

Or get an insight. ;)

·
Registered
702 Posts
people are just figuring this out now?!? :?: :shock:

·
Registered
118 Posts
"The report also says speed limits should be more rigorously enforced..." In the USA? Nawww, heck, we just raised the freeway minimum from 45 mph to 55 mph. When that happened I don't know, but only recently noticed the new minimum speed limit being posted. So, here I am, putting along at 53 mph on the freeway's, getting over 90mpg, and people can't seem to figure out that all they have to do is change lanes and pass me. They would rather honk, tailgate me, pass on the right shoulder and flash there lights at me. Bahhh, "state-sponsored lessons" would be a complete waste of money, since the people we are dealing with have no clue how to be a courteous driver, let alone, a environmentally aware one. I never ever see someone honking/flashing/etc at someone who is going over 80mph, so obviously, they don't mind someone breaking the speed limits, if it's the MAX limit. But don't you DARE, make them change lanes or have to slow down to 55 or even lower.

OK, I"m done ranting now, but I"ve about had it with these people flipping me off, for making them change lanes. I drove at 80-85 mph for a long time, before I got my Insight, and never have I been pissed for having to change lanes and pass some old fart putting along in the right hand lane. /me gotta take my chill pills now.... ARggghhhh, sorry all....

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Actually....... I'm pleasantly surprized as to how rarely I do get abused for travelling at 85 -90 kph (53mph = 85 kph - approximately) in the slow lane (left hand land in Australia) on the freeway. On flat ground at this speed I'm in lean burn getting a little over 2litres/100km according to the instant guage (around 100mpg - US - I think).

I don't think that Australians are inherently more polite - the main reason I think is that the speed limit is 100kph and this is seriously enforced with fixed and moving speed cameras. Most traffic travels at or close to the speed limit. Only occasinally is a car travelling obviously much more thant the limit.

There is plenty of traffic at about 95kph. So I'm not going a lot slower than the rest (and I've even overtaken a few old farts :lol: )

I can't remember the last time someone felt compelled to show me that my slow speed pissed them off.

·
Registered
495 Posts
... I'm pleasantly surprized as to how rarely I do get abused for travelling at 85 -90 kph (53mph = 85 kph - approximately) in the slow lane ...
For the most part that's been my experience as well. On this end I usually get in the right lane (the "slow lane") and stay there, leaving plenty of room for what I call the "fast runners" to get by me. In fact, with the recently repaved roads in this area, the shoulders (which for the most part are actually about half a lane wide now) are in as good a condition as the main road surface that it makes it real easy for me to pull over onto the shoulder and let the car or cars behind me get on by me.

It has to be recognized that even at this late date there are far too many who just don't like going along at fifty MPH or so but when gasoline at the pump rises to seven dollars or so a gallon I'm sure a good many of these slow to learn individuals will begin to recognize what I and so many others here at Insight Central know and have known for quite some time now about efficient driving practices.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Except that it's really hard to fully credit some of those efficient driving practices when I'm heading into town on the freeway at 65-70 mph, and the gauge showing more than 100 mpg :) As for the windows - well, I've tried driving with them up and down, even winding them up and down as I go along, and don't see any change in mpg.

What does work, in my experience anyway, is driving smoothly, anticipating traffic & signals, and using momentum to carry you across small hills rather than (as I often see) stepping on the gas on the uphill and braking on the downhill.

·
Registered
495 Posts
... heading into town on the freeway at 65-70 mph, and the gauge showing more than 100 mpg :)

... windows - well, I've tried driving with them up and down, even winding them up and down as I go along, and don't see any change in mpg.

... What does work, i... is driving smoothly, anticipating traffic & signals, and using momentum to carry you across small hills rather than (as I often see) stepping on the gas on the uphill and braking on the downhill.
At "65-70 mph" in The Silver Bullet (a CVT) I'd be doing real good to be getting 50 MPG. In fact, I'm not sure The Silver Bullet even knows what 65-70 mph feels like.

About those windows, up or down, that's been my experience as well; i.e., seems to make no difference re. MPG readings.

As for "Whjat does work ..." I, for one, agree completely.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts