Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got a letter from Honda about a ecu recall ; stating that the current ecu may be hurting my catalytic converter and the ecu should be upgraded so off I went to Honda with some hesitation; as I had read that some people after the ecu replacement said there car ran bad.

Well been driving around with the new ecu and it works just fine. However when I asked Honda why the replacement was necessary I wanted more specifics.. eg.. what is the ecu upgrade doing? Eg.. remapping the fuel air ratio ; what is it exactly doing they were not able to answer me.

Anyone know and if you've also had this upgrade in your car what have been your driving results?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just found out about this recall when viewing an ebay Insight offering. I received no mail notification. I called the dealer and they will call me when the part is in. I have a 2000 5sp. Has anyone had their ecu replaced since this was first posted?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,965 Posts
Mine has been replaced under the reason that has been stated. (It's triggers a check engine light for a bad cat. without the cat actually being bad)
There are numerous posts about the problem.,
I have driven over a thousand miles after the ECU replacement, this is my third one. All done as a recall by Honda. (Original replaced because of Calif. Smog readings.) I can't see any difference in the ECU function over the old ones.
Whatever changes they made in the ECU were minimal....My opinion.

Willlie

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my ECU replaced. The cashier showed me the dealers bill to Honda Motors for 70$ labor and 682$ for the ECU part. I haven't driven the car much since then. The assist batteries were fully charged when I took it in and when I got it out, but after a short drive the charge dropped low enough to where they were charging all the time. I parked the car until spring.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Willie, could this be what is causing the dealership to tell me I have a bad cat? How does one go about getting notification of these types of issues from Honda? Especially if you are a second owner (not the original owner). I have tried going to several sites to look up technical service bulletins, etc., for my Insight, but have had no luck. Nothing ever comes up for 2006 Insight even though other owners have posted on this site that there are recalls and/or service bulletins out for this year model.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
scraple62 said:
How does one go about getting notification of these types of issues from Honda? Especially if you are a second owner (not the original owner).
Honda Ownerlink

I have tried going to several sites to look up technical service bulletins, etc., for my Insight, but have had no luck.
If you are willing to purchase a year's subscription, you can get all TSBs for your car from here: All Data

-Bryan

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,965 Posts
Any Honda dealer can run your Vin number through their data base and tell you what the history of that vehicle is. Only on repairs, warranty work, and recalls.

A phone call to Honda would tell you if the ECU recall effected the 2006. That I don't know.

Willie

·
Hybrid Technologist
313 Posts
I looked up my VIN# on the Honda web site above ( thanks for that ).

It says my car had a ECM repair done in December, 2002. Is this what everyone here is talking about?
Or something else? Is ECM different than ECU? New guy here!

quote:
"December 2002 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has determined that a defect relating to emissions regulations exists on certain 2000-01 Insights. Your vehicle's engine control module (ECM) does not correctly identify all malfunctions of the emissions system. Because of this, the vehicle does not meet state and federal emissions regulations."

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,965 Posts
Yes, just depends on what you language are familiar with.(Engine control unit/Engine control Module :lol:

Willie
There were two Recalls. One for emissions, and one for the reading of a "bad cat" when it wasn't bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda Ownerlink doesn't show 2 ECU recalls

When I visit the Honda Ownerlink page and key in my VIN, it shows 2 recalls. One is for headlights (that has not been performed) and one that says 2000-2002 ECU recall. Reading it, it doesn't look like the Bad Cat ECU recall. Does anyone know what the second ECU bulletin/recall number is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I visit the Honda Ownerlink page and key in my VIN, it shows 2 recalls. One is for headlights (that has not been performed) and one that says 2000-2002 ECU recall. Reading it, it doesn't look like the Bad Cat ECU recall. Does anyone know what the second ECU bulletin/recall number is?

Thanks!
Sorry to bump an old thread if this had been answered. I used the link posted and saw that my 2000 insight has been fixed for an 00-02 emissions issue. Is this the"bad cat fix"? I got a check engine light today and it's for the cat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts