Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was on my way to work this afternoon. 3 days into a 70mpg tank. had a recal the morning after i gassed up last week. another one a few minutes after i left home today. oh well, here we go again. no biggie. after about 10 minutes the system reverse recaled (instant full charge from about 1/3 capacity to full. and then the IMA light came on. very low assist, if any, although the assist/regen meter is showing what it should. wont go off with a reboot once i got to work.

gotta take it to honda wednesday morning for a look-see. wish me luck (luck would be a bad battery pack under warantee)

andy g.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seemed to work fine on the way home last night, but the IMA light was still on. i will document any info the honda guys give me, just in case this turns into a long series of problems and they give me any grief. we shall see.....

andy g.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
My IMA light came on a while back but disappeared after a couple of weeks - the system carried on working as normal throughout. I had the code read (at the UK Insight Owners Day) and they said it was a temporary 'overheat' code - I might have been pushing it too hard (apparently). If you have had some hot days recently and been racing on the highway it might be the same code. Let's wait and see!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, another recal on my way to work today. just like yesterday. still getting 70mpg though, doing 55-60 mph. not too bad.

as for heat, it was way hotter a couple of weeks ago, and no problems till this week.

we shall see.....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
latest info: brought it into the dealer this morning. codes were P1601 and P1447. dealer said they reset the codes and if the IMA light comes on again they will order 2 new modules. well, the light came on before i left the dealership. now i need to find out just what the codes mean and find out if they ordered all the right parts. fingers crossed for a new bat-pack!

andy g.

·
Registered
473 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, the new (rebuilt) battery pack is waiting for me at the dealer. however, the BCM and MCM are on back-order. now i have to find out if they will install the battery pack so i can drive the car while i wait for the controllers. i dont mind bringing it in twice. better than waiting until november!

andy g.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, me too. oh well. and thanx for the thumbs-up on the tank. 750 looks doable without traffic jams and recals. i wont be trying too hard for that until i get the new pack put in.

andy g.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh well. they will only put the new (rebuilt) battery pack in with the controllers. and btw, a new yellow-top (D51) did not stop the recals. i had tested the oem battery, and it tested OK, but i wanted the optima anyway. :wink: however, when the recal starts and i have to restart the engine with the key, the 12 volt starter is now almost as quick as the IMA "starter". 8) and the lights dont go dim either. MUCH better!

andy g.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hafnhaf goes under the knife (wrench?) Monday morning. the new parts are finally all at the dealership. 3 more days with frequent recals to go, and then no more......... yeah, right! :wink:

hoping for the best.

andy g.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oops! IMA light came on again this morning. no assist. no charging. the dc-dc converter is still putting 14 volts to the 12 volt system,. so i drove it to work anyway. 69.3 mpg. push a bit harder on the gas pedal, and i cant tell the difference. close enough!

cant wait till monday. :?

andy g.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It hurts to have to let you guys know this, but...

A few weeks ago I got the infamous IMA light. Took it to Honda and they diagnosed it as a deteriorating battery pack. With my warranty about to expire, they agreed to replace it under warranty and ordered all the parts.

Ten days ago I was involved in a car accident and I TOTALED MY 2000 RED HONDA INSIGHT, 66,000 MILES ON IT - MY BABY!!!!

This has to be one of the greater ironies in an Insight owner's life. I kept a spreadsheet for the 18 months I owned the car. I documented every recal, every blip, every strange event. I was prepared to counter any argument Honda could give me. When I got the error light, I brought the car in with trembling hands, and they nonchalantly tell me they'll replace the battery pack. I couldn't believe it. And now I know why.

I get down to the wire, and BAM, I wreck the car. I was never meant to get the battery pack. I am heartbroken at losing the car and due to finances, it won't be replaced any time soon. I'm driving my 1997 Acura, which gets 25-30. Sniff.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nosy question...

Glad to hear you weren't hurt (?) in the accident.

If you don't mind the asking, what does it take to total an Insight? :oops:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Totaling an Insight

How much does it take to total an Insight? If this is a technical question, I don't know the answer. But it was pretty close to head-on at 35 MPH. The front end crumped up pretty darned good. Both side doors opened easily and of course, the hatchback had no problems.

My guess is that the insurance company just didn't want to touch it. They haven't called me yet to offer me a pitiful amount for it. You'll be glad to know the air bags (both of them) and seat belt really did their job. I ended up with bruises and contusions from those protective devices, but no other injuries. Two weeks later I am still having a lot of rib cage pain, from collarbone on down, front and back. The doc wil do a chest x-ray to make sure there's nothing else going on.

I am HEARTBROKEN over the loss of my car. Except for the IMA light, I had no other problems with it. My '97 Acura won't bring much - enough to replace the Insight? I didn't think so, at first glance.

I had about 66,500 on the Insight, with 60 LMPG.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bury her :cry: ... sell the acura :? , and take your insurance check :shock: , together you should be able to afford another insight :twisted: !

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
picked up the car today. nice shiny modules on top. does not seem too much different than the original setup. between today and tomorrow (when i need to get gas) i will drive it hard and see if it recals. so far so good!

and was it ever nice to see that big $0.00 on the bottom of the invoice. 8)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts