Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EEK! Can anyone tell me - where are the entry points for MICE that are appearing inside the passenger compartment? Can they be excluded?
I don't believe in killing them, and emptying the live traps & deporting them every day isn't an option - but either is their tap dancing on my dash.
Thanks for any leads on how to (humanely) bar MICE from entering.
- Berk (1st post.)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Berk, you are just toooo humane. After my father almost died from a pneumonic attack brought on by vacuuming up their mouldy feces I have no sympathy for the dirty little rats.

As to your problem, mice can get through a hole the size of a dime. I'm thinking that your car has been parked for a while outdoors. Park your car in different spots if possible. They will chew through just about anything but metal. They are attracted by food or the smell of food so make sure there is not a speck of food in the car like the hamburger wrappers, milkshake cups, or a package of crackers under the seat. Ultrasonic repellants don't work. Your challenge is to find the entry holes. There should be two or more. Check the fire wall. Check the door seals. Also check any wiring or vent areas for the IMA system under the car. The little rats leave telltale urine dirt paths if they are about for long enough. If you have one you most likely have two or a whole brood. They produce about 40 young a year.

Good luck, Kip

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I like mice. They're cute. :) We have them at our computer shop, and they provide hours of entertainment...

However, in a car or house, they can do a lot of damage. I have had excellant luck with ultrasonic repellers. Most run on 9-12V, so you can run it in the car 24 hours a day off the 12V battery.

Humane traps work relativly well too, and you can get some entertainment with the little critter after you catch (make a maze :) ).

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If I had to take a wild guess, there's that air release vent at the back of the car which moves air out of the vehicle. You might start there. I can't think of any other real possible entrance routes for them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I found acorns and seeds piled high under the hood of my Insight about a week ago. The culprits turned out to be mice. (See story "Animal Magnet?" under General Discussion.) The garage was infested with them. I caught ten in all. :shock: I just hope they didn't eat any of the wires in my engine. I think that would be especially harmful for an Insight, which has so many complicated computerized and electrical components.

If there are mice inside your car, they have probably gotten into other parts as well. Check your engine and glove compartment, and perhaps under the car. My mother had mice getting into one of her old cars via and a hole under the dashboard and built a nest in her glove compartment. And make sure the wires in your engine have not been nibbled as well.

Luna

·
Registered
243 Posts
You might want to check your air filter box. If they could get into the air intake they probably left a mess in there. If one went down into the resonator and could not get back out... you'll probably be smelling that now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've heard that some wire manufacturers actually use peanut oil as part of the plasticizer in wire insulation and that rodents are attracted to the smell/taste of such insulation. Unfotunately we have no way of knowing the ingredients list of the wire insulation Honda uses...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
- "If one went down into the resonator and could not get back out... "

Eeeww, resin-coated mice! Btw, what _is_ a resinator, anyway?
(I'm new here!) thanks, Berk

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Resonator as in resonance. On the air intake there is "Tee" junction down to an empty black container similar to an overflow container. This acts in the same fashion as a reonator on an exhaust system. At a certain engine RPM the resonant sound waves in the air intake synchronise with the opening and closing of the intake valves creating a ram effect which forces more air into the engine. Depending how it is set up it can increase horsepower or efficiency or smooth out the torque curve or reduce sound levels. That is why the hot air intake mods try to use the same length of pipe as the standard set up. If a mouse got trapped in there it would stink but otherwise not harm things. On the other hand if the mouse turned left and started chewing on the air cleaner for nesting material it would be a problem.

Kip

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mice outta the air intake

Thanks for the mouse-eye's tour of the air intake tubing.
Yes, there were acorns, chaff, and "black rice" in the air cleaner box. Next time I go to town, I'll pick up some 1/8" hardware mesh, and make a cap for the air intake pipe end, hose clamp it on, and keep 'em outta that part anyway. Now, how're they getting into the cab?
Berk

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I used 1/4 inch Stainless weldwire screening from an old computer power supply on my CRX SI. Don't use too restrictive a screen and try to use brass, stainless, or aluminum. Good luck.

Kip

·
Registered
243 Posts
Re: mice outta the air intake

Berk said:
Now, how're they getting into the cab?
Berk
Unfortunately the answer is almost anywhere. Mice can fit through extremely small openings. If you can stick your finger though the opening, a mouse can get in. The obvious ones are:
#The cabin air intake. Usually located at the base of windshield, by the windshield wipers, towards the passenger side. You might try leave the heater/AC in recirc mode to block them, though I doubt it will help.
#The holes in the firewall for steering, wires, hoses, etc.
#The cabin air outlet. Located inside the rear bumper above the tailpipe. I don't know if it is accessable from the inside. The picture in the service manual makes it look one of those vinyl dryer vents you'd find on a house.
# There might be some drain holes, but I don't know where they are.

Actually, what would help the most is to try to get rid of any food source near your car if possible. (or park your car in a different spot)

There's no love lost between myself and mice. They get trapped in my walls, die and stink for weeks. I'd put out poison for them, but I'd be afraid about poisoning the owls or cats that might eat their carcass.

If you like mice, maybe you should put out something they'll like to nest in more than your car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the tips, especially the specific ones. I'll look for that "dryer-vent" under the rear bumper tomorrow.
I did try parking her in an open area, in hopes that the owls would see the mice as they sprinted across open ground for the safety of the car. Then I read in these forums that HEAT is the enemy of the IMA battery pack. So now I park in the shade of an ancient spreading live oak, which unleashes a cornicopula of tasty acorns all around the car. The mice think they're in heaven, now that they can dine in style inside my Insight. Can't win for losin'.
Tonight I rummaged around in the bathroom to get materials to try fashioning little restraint belts out of dental floss for them, and little air bags out of some small balloons, too.
Wry cheers to you, Berk

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
EEK, don't park your Insight under a tree, especially an oak, unless you want that hammered finish look for your Insight. :shock: Those acorns are like hailstones and a falling branch may as well be an axe handle. Let me know when you have moved it so I can stop worrying! :cry:

Kip

1 - 16 of 16 Posts