Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that when its windy, mpg takes a hit.
When there is no wind, at least in my area (miami), i can cruise all day (not on highways) with the mpg gauge sitting between 75 mpg to 100 mpg, and being able to go alot longer on just electric motor.

When its windy, its alot harder for me to keep it up that high. Anyone else ever notice that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I only drive when there is a tailwind. If there is a headwind I will pull over and auto-stop until the wind changes direction. It takes me long time to get anywhere.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Yeah, I notice it all the time, it causes a -huge- impact on MPGs and maintaining speed at the same MPG. This isn't just affecting Insights, it is all cars. Even more so with larger vehicles with large frontal area such as SUVs.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I only drive when there is a tailwind. If there is a headwind I will pull over and auto-stop until the wind changes direction. It takes me long time to get anywhere.

:)
Heh :)

As far as MPG goes, I haven't noticed a significant impact due to wind on my short commute. I imagine the effect is magnified on longer trips, though.

However, on a related note, I have noticed that this car gets buffeted by wind easier than similar cars of it's size that I've been in.

I'm fairly used to it since my last vehicle was a truck, but I was caught off guard at first by how easily the car can be blown around by strong gusts, especially from the side. It doesn't help that Dallas/Ft. Worth is windier, on average, than "The Windy City" of Chicago :p

My first road trip in the car was to Houston on a particularly windy day, and I remember fighting the car the whole way down...at times it felt really unstable, to be honest, almost like I was on ice :Damn:

I think I read that Cobb installed an anti-sway bar from the Fit, that apparently helps with this issue. Don't know if it would have any positive benefit on MPG, though, maybe he can report his own findings...

Speaking of which, Cobb, do you have a link to the bar you used? I'm interested since it's one of the few problems I have with the Insight's handling. Was it hard to install?

// Edit - sorry...bit of thread-jack there :oops:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Best time for drafting

You can often save nearly 10 mpg by drafting, especially into the wind. There will be less benefit when it's a crosswind or tailwind. When conditions are a little rough I try to use a box truck like a 28-32 footer as opposed to a tractor trailer type. Those will have their own battles.

It took me a while to get comfortable, at first I would stay about 5 seconds back. I know a lot of people will get much closer. Worth a try when it's feasible.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brian, thats some hardcore stuff your talking about. Im sure your MPG goes up, but I dont think the risk of drafting a truck like that is worth it. One abrupt stop and you got yourself a rear end accident, which will kill your MPG savings instantly when you have to pay tickets and insurance deductibles.

But I guess 5 seconds behind isnt that bad. Only thing is I never really drive on the highways here in my area. Im sure its great for highway driving.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rahtx, yeah i noticed this car gets thrown around like a rag doll with the wind. Ive never experienced that with any other car I have owned. I read in another thread, some guy changed his tires and it definitely helped that issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aside from the wind direction, it is important to KEEP THE WINDOWS SHUT, as open windows will increase drag substantially and drop mpg. Use the flow thru vents and the blower system to pass air through the car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think windows down makes a difference if your going below 50 mph, thus if you follow the 50/50 rule,
50 mph and below windows down, 50 mph and above windows up.

I have not noticed any difference with windows up or down, and i do most of my travels at 40 mph.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I took a trip a couple weeks ago on a windy day. The car seemed very pleasently stable when headed into the wind leading me to forget it was blowing out there. With the wind gusting and behind me to the side, the car occassionally seemed to head to the side of the road without steering in that direction.

While on the freeway with the cruise control set at 70 mph, and a bit of a head wind. I noticed the mpg slider holding steady at 40-45 mpg with no traffic in front of me. When I pulled-in behind a car, and followed 2-3 car lengths behind, and re-setting the cruise for the car's speed (69 mph), I was seeing a steady 55 mpg on the slider. Later I slowed to a steady 60 mph (in anticipation of a rest area first one mile, than two miles ahead) and noticed 70-75 mpg on the slider. And when following one car length behind a truck, an amazing 80+ mpg.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts