Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the effect of extreme heat on the battery?
When i start my car in the afternoon the ima battery is completely darined. Yesterday the temp inside was 104*F. Does the heat damage the ima?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,883 Posts
Marco, this is a perfect example why you should include your location in your signature. No one knows what temperature conditions your are dealing with because no one knows where you are. Go to the "User CP" button above and edit your profile to include your city and state.

A temp. of 104 isn't particularly high, many folks in the SW encounter much higher temperatures in summer, but the general consensus is that at some level, high temperatures do affect battery life. There could be multiple reasons why the battery discharges overnight, some not a direct fault of the battery, but a bad battery is probably the most likely cause.

·
Super Moderator
6,883 Posts
Hi sorry "newbie here"
Im from South Africa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Welcome.

It does little good to put your location within a post. No one will see that the next time you want to ask a question. Look at the other avatar blocks and you will see that everyone's general location is immediately obvious. You need to edit your profile as I said before.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Herein the US, Insights sold in extreamely hot states have a shorter warranty. I would say that heat definitely does effect the battery pack. There is even a fan back there that is supposed to come on if it gets too hot. I would try to park in the shade if possible.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Here in Arizona, we see summer temps regularly in the 45-50°C range. We have 4 months worth of 38°C+ days.

Batteries seem to have a reduced life here, particularly the HCH2 subpacks. I have about 7 battery packs worth of dead sticks.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Herein the US, Insights sold in extremely hot states have a shorter warranty. I would say that heat definitely does effect the battery pack. There is even a fan back there that is supposed to come on if it gets too hot. I would try to park in the shade if possible.
Is this true? Please provide evidence of the emphasized portion above.

·
Registered
622 Posts
just read up on the nissan leaf saga of a few years back in the american sw ... that tells u all u need to know about the effect of heat on batteries

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
You have not provided evidence supporting your claim.

It has ZERO to do with climate and everything to do with State and Federal emission laws.

Parts of SoCal can get downright as nasty hot as AZ, yet you still get the 150K miles.

The single hottest and hellish location in the U.S. is Death Valley in CA. 150K mile warranty there.

Most of the milder climates are NOT CARB states and only get the 80K mile warranty.

In CARB states, it was 10/150K. In non-CARB, it was 8/80K - regardless of climate.

BTW... If I were to say "consistent everywhere" and then explicitly state that it's not the same everywhere, what would you think?

I found this:

here:

State Matters - NGVAmerica

Sure doesn't look climate dependent to me.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
In addition to those who already mentioned that high temps can damage the IMA battery, actually using the battery in high heat can further cause damage.

My car has MIMA, with the option of using the battery in high temp or just letting it sit idle.

About four summers ago, I continued to rely heavily on the IMA in Wisconsin heat, and lost a good 30% capacity during that time.

Jim.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
What is the effect of extreme heat on the battery?
Though featuring various lithium batteries in particular, battery longevity and heat problems are well demonstrated in an informative youtube lecture video : "Why do Li-ion Batteries die? and how to improve the situation?" Though very technical, I hope the lecture may be found useful in understanding.
It's a lecture from Waterloo Institute for NanoTechnology, by Prof. Jeff Dahn that presents a picture of what failing battery chemistry looks like, it's causes, and various solutions.

·
Registered
622 Posts
as noted one post above, i didnt think it was even arguable that extreme heat is anything other than detrimental to battery life/use/power/etc nifty map notwithstanding

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
as noted one post above, i didnt think it was even arguable that extreme heat is anything other than detrimental to battery life/use/power/etc nifty map notwithstanding
The map was pertinent to the claims that there were different warranties for different climates. It demonstrates that warranty is based on state/federal laws, not climate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts