Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Working on my 2000 Insight MT 95K and still having some jerking problems. So I am looking at the EGR valve to possibly fix the problem. The EGR has been cleaned before in the life of this car but not sure when. So I attempting to clean the EGR by spraying electronic terminal cleaner into the top portion but I am not sure how to cycle the EGR from open to closed. I have five terminals to put the positive and negative leads too but from reading the threads I didn't read about where to put your positive and negative leads. I can just use the regular 12v car battery for this correct?

These are the 5 terminals/connections
Gas Cylinder Machine Kitchen appliance Metal

So where do I attach gator clips too?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
That EGR valve looks pretty old. Have you considered just replacing it? They aren't that expensive, I just replaced one a few months ago for like 30 bucks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It very well could be original to the car! Where did you find the EGR for 30 bucks???

I still would like to try to clean it perhaps. The EGR on my 98 accord is stock with 205K (never been cleaned). I believe I can switch them out but I would rather not do that at this time.

Thanks Balto!

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Just make sure that if you do replace it, that you don't replace it with an Insight EGR valve. Buy one for a 1999 Accord. The Insight EGR valve is a bad design.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Hello everyone,

Working on my 2000 Insight MT 95K and still having some jerking problems. So I am looking at the EGR valve to possibly fix the problem. The EGR has been cleaned before in the life of this car but not sure when. So I attempting to clean the EGR by spraying electronic terminal cleaner into the top portion but I am not sure how to cycle the EGR from open to closed. I have five terminals to put the positive and negative leads too but from reading the threads I didn't read about where to put your positive and negative leads. I can just use the regular 12v car battery for this correct?

These are the 5 terminals/connections
View attachment 94081
So where do I attach gator clips too?

Cheers!
You can download a schematic of the car etc on the manuals thread (wherever it is on the latest version of the forum). Try a forum search for "manuals".

IIRC The valve starts to open a little over 2.3 V which is controlled by the engine ECU.
12 Vdc is way too much voltage for the valve.

My MT engine has to be above 154° F before lean burn can engage and it's best for the engine to be fully warmed up for testing.

Try disconnecting the EGR connector and see if that gets rid of the herky jerky. The valve should be closed while in lean burn.

My Accord EGR valve cost $5 from my favorite junk yard. Over the years I've found that junk cars will sometimes have brand new-last-resort parts to fix the car before it was junked. My EGR valve was new and made by Seimens. :)

I would guess if it looks like an Insight EGR valve it should work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You can just unplug it?!?!? That's an awesome way to possibly check it.

Thanks Olrowdy01, I went through some spare parts and I did find a EGR from an accord I lifted from a junkyard find. They are slightly different, but I put that one and it drives so much better. Slight jerkiness every once and a while. I might be replacing this again in the future to possible rid this plague of a problem.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
IIRC The valve starts to open a little over 2.3 V which is controlled by the engine ECU.
12 Vdc is way too much voltage for the valve.
I thought it was just a solenoid. Anyway, the service manual says to put 12V+ to terminal 4 and ground terminal 6 to test it's function. I do that to hold it open and scrape the valve clean.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Product Automotive design

·
Premium Member
808 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great detailed video Jeffffej.

I will probably clean the top portion like you did and see if that rids the problem completely.

Happy driving!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Great detailed video Jeffffej.

I will probably clean the top portion like you did and see if that rids the problem completely.

Happy driving!
The normal problem with an old-original EGR valve is that the sensor slider contact inside the valve itself had the moving contact installed upside down when it was manufactured!! Over time the resistor part of the valve position sensor gets damaged by the scraper portion of the upside down sliding contact.

People have taken the valve apart to turn the sliding contact over which will sometimes fix the sensor but it's generally a band aid fix depending upon how damaged the sensor resistance is. Once the resistance is damaged there is no way to fix that. It's like having a "scratchy" volume control on a radio. Spray cleaning inside the valve body might also appear to "fix" the sensor but all that is doing is washing the loose (damaged) sensor material away.

The ECU sends a variable voltage to control how much exhaust to bypass into the intake system when accelerating. The EGR valve is not energized at all in lean burn [as determined by my OBDIIc&c]. If you have herky-jerky with the EGR connector disconnected, cleaning the valve & seat itself might cure it if the valve is leaking when "closed".

In operation the valve normally doesn't open all the way but the damaged sensor can send conflicting data to the ECU that causes it to not set the valve opening properly.

Also there are three small restrictions in the EGR plate that set the maximum amount of exhaust flow into each of the engine cylinders. Those restrictions, over time, can get clogged and need to be cleaned out if necessary.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I spent a lot of time testing EGR valves, even building an EGR valve tester. Wrote it up in a thread you may want to read. The "fixes" described elsewhere do not address the possibility of a sleeve bearing that is worn off-center and causing a problem due to increased friction. After all my testing I simply replaced my valve with a new one, and saw a noticeable improvement in MPG. The EGR valve plays an important role in maximizing fuel economy.

@olrowdy01 has a good write-up, above. Perhaps this was a design mistake, or perhaps it was a design change to combat oxidation build-up on the resistive surface by flipping the fingers so that they are "self-cleaning" (this is pure speculation).

@nasphere has reported that they flipped the fingers on a new EGR valve before installing it.

Do not buy the cheapest EGR valve you can find. They use a different sensor mechanism. I tried one of these new cheap valves in my car and got immediate herky-jerky.

Similarly, don't bother with a junkyard EGR valve as they are probably worn out since they tend to not throw a code even when their performance is degraded.

Good luck with your car!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like I get a little jerkiness when the car is warmed up and I have to try to make it jerk for me but overall it drives like it should. I will come back and clean it and if that doesn't change anything it will be replaced.

Appreciate all the words everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts