Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I would put out another real life MPG story as it relates to the EGR components. My 2000 MT was jerking and doing all the other stuff everyone writes about but the mileage was down in the 62-65mpg range too. I am a little embarrased to show the first picture but the results are so dramatic that I may just take the 45 mins every June and clean the EGR system. Also, after seeing the results in the MT, I cleaned the 2006 CVT and it was noticeable (not as much as the MT with LBM) but still I can attribute a good 3-5 mpg on the CVT to this simple effort. Anyway, here a couple pics of the EGR before and after and the mileage after. Cleaning the EGR components is a pretty simple thing to do (especially after the first time).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
My 2000 MT was jerking and doing all the other stuff everyone writes about but the mileage was down in the 62-65mpg range too. I am a little embarrased to show the first picture but the results are so dramatic that I may just take the 45 mins every June and clean the EGR system.
Was this the first time your 2000's EGR system had been cleaned? Do you feel that spending 45 minutes each year would be worthwhile considering how few miles you drive each year (~6000)?

My 2000 Insight has been driven about 23,000 miles and I haven't noticed any of the dirty EGR system symptoms yet. Do you have any feeling about how often (in distance driven) the EGR system should be cleaned?

·
Registered
303 Posts
How about 125,000 on a 2006 with no issues? Does anyone know what the EGR "schedule" on the MT vs. the CTV looks like?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Was this the first time your 2000's EGR system had been cleaned? Do you feel that spending 45 minutes each year would be worthwhile considering how few miles you drive each year (~6000)?

My 2000 Insight has been driven about 23,000 miles and I haven't noticed any of the dirty EGR system symptoms yet. Do you have any feeling about how often (in distance driven) the EGR system should be cleaned?
The more you drive with cheap gasoline combined with city driving; you will need even more often cleaning. However, good gas and highway miles; you should be good for another 200,000. I drove accord ’86 for 200,000 with shell and changed the oil every 3000 miles the car still runs like a champ. When you look at the tail pipe it’s clean. I always say, good gas/synthetic oil every 3000ml/ and skinny w… and you will be happy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When you pull the EGR plate, can you reuse the intake gasket, o-rings and egr gasket? I assume you have to drop the intake manifold.
Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks like when the dealer replaces a EGR they do not clean the plate so I am taking mines apart this week! :mad:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Are there step by step directions with glossy photographs with arrows & things showing exactly what to do for the mechanically challenged? I wouldn't want to attempt this without a clear understanding of what I'm doing.

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Perfect! Thank you.
I did the job today. It is truly very, very, very easy and intuitive. Let me know if you get stuck, I can help walk you through it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I did the job today. It is truly very, very, very easy and intuitive. Let me know if you get stuck, I can help walk you through it.
Thanks for the offer. I did get stuck but the remedy is simple. A 12mm universal joint socket is essential. (Like this: TOPTUL 3/8"DR FLEX UNIVERSAL JOINT SOCKET 12MM (BAAL1212)) There's no other way to get to the bottom 2 bolts. My local Home Depot doesn't have them so I'll try another hardware store. Also an 8" extension is necessary. The 4" is too short.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I did it! I think. The moment of truth is tomorrow when I make my semi-monthly pilgrimage to the home of my people, NYC. I average ~60mpg on the 175mi round trip and that's when I'm really trying. On one leg I got 48mpg doing 75mph most of the way. I'm hoping I can break the big 7-0h on this trip. Thanks to all the helpful posts.

Here are some insights from my experience. Get a dental pick. Fortunately I had one lying around. I don't know how I would have cleaned out the ports otherwise. 6" and 4" (not 8" as I said in another post) extensions are vital (You may be able to get away with just a 4" but that bottom left nut will be a real pain.) as well as a swiveling universal joint 12mm socket (Sears had them).

After removing most of the hard crud with a screwdriver I soaked the gasket and plate in lacquer thinner for about an hour. You can see the result. It made removing the rest of the carbon much easier.

Don't forget to clean out the ports. They're easy to miss if you don't know they're there. Remember, there are 3 ports.

Don't pull on the small rubber hose. Put the last tooth of the pliers under the hose and pull up. That way the hose won't rip.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for this info. I've just cleaned mine up.

Those bottom two bolts are a real PITA. I had to use heat on them to get them to move. The only tool I could get to them was anangled head 12mm ratchet spanner. Not the best tool to crack open a 13 year old bolt.

Mine was completely clogged, so hopefully I'll see a decent improvement now this is cleared.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was getting a P1259 the last few weeks on and off, and some VTEC issues.

So this weekend I pulled the VTEC solenoid, found the intake screen clogged with little chunks of carbon and sludge. Replaced the screen/gasket.

Then pulled the EGR plate, and found it COMPLETELY clogged. Cleaned it and installed with new gaskets. Also pulled and cleaned the throttle body. A fair amount of buildup around the butterfly, but not TERRIBLE.

I've been running the last 54K miles with NO hybrid battery, so the lost power and MPG from the clogged EGR etc was quite noticeable.

Driving the car afterwards feels like it definitely gained some acceleration power, and no more VTEC trouble code. Cruising MPG appears to have increased as well.

Just another vote that it's worth pulling the EGR plate! 316K miles on my 2001, and I don't think it was ever done before! :scared:

Sludge blocked by VTEC screen

VTEC solenoid screen clogged:

My clogged EGR Plate:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts