Honda Insight Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Ah ok, I was a little confused by the rubber deal. Yea I cleaned the ports, seems a little pointless not to.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I could see that. It looks like everyone's plate has been pretty plugged, how plugged has the egr valve been for others?

·
3,641 Posts
*** New info here in Post #21: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20996
We have read about the "jerky Jerky" problem not going away with simply cleaning EGR plate passages or with new EGR valve, and this obscure passage being clogged may be the reason. Thanks Scott for posting and explaining! ***

Mods - if appropriate, and would help future readers/search effort, consider merging these threads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I cleaned my EGR plate two days ago.

Things seemed to be going great until... I got a PO420 code this afternoon:(!!!

I cant help but think these two things are related.

Any thoughts?

Thank you much, in advance!

2004 CVT, 195,000
Brand new MAXIMA:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I reused the plate gasket after cleaning it and left the rubber gaskets in.

You're sayin I shouldn't be a cheapskate...;)?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Even at $25 I always replace them. Too much of a pain to do twice and they seem to have some black membrane that always tears. Not saying that a new one will stop the code, but...

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
The ghost in the machine. Hope you can solve it but I have seen so many who have wholesale replaced the entire exhaust and every other conceivable part and still have a stoned car. I've lived with the P0420 for years. Good luck!:-|

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ordered the parts and finally had some time to do the EGR plate removal and cleaning.
All I can say is "WOW" what a gummed up mess, I'm surprised it even ran!
It took me about 2 hours total to remove / clean and replace with all new gaskets.
The biggest issue I had was replacing the crazy little hose clamp underneath the intake manifold.
I was hoping that it would stop the "bucking" and has most of it.
But, now I'm thinking that the "EGR" needs replaced to completely eliminate the issue as it too has over 200,000 miles on the stock valve.
I was doing a search and found this EGR valve for $50.00 bucks off of e-bay and was wondering if anyone has used or is using it?
Standard T Series EGV658T EGR Valve | eBay

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
^ not sure on that one. The '99 Accord egr valve is a match and works well. I have one on my silver mt.

I don't remember which thread where I saw some pics by KLR3CYL (Scott) showing a bolt to remove that exposes another egr port. IIRC, drivers side under throttle body.

To verify the egr valve is acting up, drive with it unplugged. If problem persists, it's not the valve.

·
Registered
820 Posts
That valve would likely work; however, the position of the electrical plug may be rotated in an inconvenient direction.

·
3,641 Posts
Found the thread. On page 3, KLR3CYL (Scott) posted a pic of the additional egr passage.

It's also posted 10 posts above in post #85. ;) But it's good to keep spreading the word on this newly found info.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I am thinking about cleaning my EGR. Do you think I should buy the three rubber gaskets? I am leaning towards not buying them.

Has anyone actually had an issue with their rubber gaskets?

81 - 100 of 128 Posts