Honda Insight Forum banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
EGR passage to head.

Found the thread. On page 3, KLR3CYL (Scott) posted a pic of the additional egr passage.

The EGR passage in the head can be cleaned by shooting carb cleaner down the front hole on the EGR mount. There is no need to remove that bolt unless the engine is off and you are giving it a thorough clean. The carb cleaner will just flow to the rectangular hole in the head (below the 3 intake ports).

I just did this (took bolt off as well as the EGR mount). It is not needed.

The picture above shows the EGR passage. The bolt is just to close off a machining process.

You may also attack the passage from the front rectangular hole.

Attachments

·
3,641 Posts
I am thinking about cleaning my EGR. Do you think I should buy the three rubber gaskets? I am leaning towards not buying them.

Has anyone actually had an issue with their rubber gaskets?

I would. They are like $3-4. The hard part is getting to them. They'll be good for another 100k miles.
I don't think anyone could reply to say, "yes, my herky-jerky didn't resolve after swapping out metal gasket but not the rubber ones". But I've read posts about vacuum leaks being chased for hours and hours that may have been due to reusing old gaskets. Why do it when you are already there?

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
I just reused the metal gasket after cleaning it carefully. Works fine.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The metal gasket has some kind of thin "rubber" substance on the perimeter that gets torn off when removed so I always replace that. The round rubber gaskets are thick and the one time I replaced them, were still soft and pliable after 200,000 miles so don't replace them now unless there is a related issue. And they are more like $7 each and a pain to access.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Just read through this whole thread because I plan on doing this job next week.

What I find funny is that so many people kept on reusing all the old gaskets, even though it was recommended to replace it. What I found funny about this is that the Honda insight attracts the most frugal owners and you wouldn't really expect us to replace something that could potentially be reused.

Even after a long and thoughtful deliberations with myself, I decided that I'm going to reuse the rubber gaskets but replaced the metal one. I just couldn't get myself to spend the $15 dollars for those rubber gaskets that everyone has said was fine.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense to replace them or you shouldn't just that I found it funny most people commented that they didn't replace them and some even said they were too cheap.

·
Super Moderator
5,111 Posts
Some of us reuse them because we decided to do the job on the spur of the moment and the dealer didn't have them in stock so we decided not to wait for them to come in the mail. Worked out just fine. If we'd had a vacuum leak we'd have ordered one and replaced it later. Don't ask me how I know this.

Lots of people "recommend" stuff because they read that it's the "right thing to do" and have no actual experience with doing it one way or the other or both. I pretty much do stuff based on my many years of wrenching. Most "recommendations" are very conservative.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
5,111 Posts
We ARE cheap. Otherwise we'd be driving Hummers!

Sam

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,686 Posts
No Sam, we are "frugel", not cheap.

Willie

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Funny thing is it won't be long when solar panels will be so cheap and batteries so much better that having a large electric SUV will not be a problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Cleaned my EGR plate on saturday. Not completely grim but pretty bad. Used this guide (thanks Hodukaguy) , a flathead screwdriver, cottom buds, and brake cleaner, plus a lot of kitchen towel.

My neighbour and I did it using nearly all the tools but we didnt have a universal joint so we had to make do with two different ring spanners with slightly offset teeth which we used alternately to take off and put on the bolt on the bottom right of the plate.

had a replacement gasket and orings from one of the uk insightcentral crew from a meet about 2 or 3 years back so thanks for that. I think it was the chap with s2000 seats but the name evades me.

Going to do oil this weekend and MOT is next month.

I used to take my car to Peters Perkin's friends garage Autotech in Thirsk, UK. A few things which they told me they did in the service i severely doubt now. the first was an oil filter change and the second is this EGR plate. I have found a local place now that i do trust and in doubt DIY where possible means you know the job has been done.

·
Registered
436 Posts
What's the consensus on reusing the EGR gasket when cleaning the EGR plate?

Had an EGR service done not too long ago on my CVT with around 138+k miles. Didn't notice any improvement but I guess it was nice to get this service out of the way. Anyway, it occurred to me that I don't think the gasket was replaced, just cleaned, according to the invoice. Does it really matter if you reuse a good-condition gasket or install a new one?

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
What's the consensus on reusing the EGR gasket when cleaning the EGR plate?

Had an EGR service done not too long ago on my CVT with around 138+k miles. Didn't notice any improvement but I guess it was nice to get this service out of the way. Anyway, it occurred to me that I don't think the gasket was replaced, just cleaned, according to the invoice. Does it really matter if you reuse a good-condition gasket or install a new one?

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
I reused mine as well. But I also cleaned the intake manifold both at entrance from EGR spacer and EGR valve. I also cleaned the EGR valve. However, mine was extremely dirty never did it until 450k miles. I also decarbonized my pistons/valves/throttle body. I plan on doing another decarbonizing along with changing the spark plugs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anybody know the recommend service interval for the egr cleaning
Not sure but I plan on doing it right before I need to get smog. I have to get my car smog every 2 years.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I didn't think there was a specified cleaning interval. It for sure will depend on a number of conditions, but the design of the EGR system seems relatively easy to get clogged. I really wish these motors were equipped with a nice VVT system like some newer cars so they can do away with the EGR system.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Not sure but I plan on doing it right before I need to get smog. I have to get my car smog every 2 years.
If your CEL is not on and you're not required to go to an advanced system you should just be able to go to a smog test station where they'll do a quick visual, hook up their computer to the OBD2 system and it'll run its own test. It's way faster than before this way.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts