Honda Insight Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Is there any correlation between gunked up EGR plates and anything else? Gasoline vendor or type, or driving style, or year of car, or CVT vs MT? I am sort of surprised at these pictures showing so much crud in there in some cases...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey people,

I'm prepping to clean my EGR valve and plate and all that...a question for you all.

I've ordered an EGR gasket but I'm pondering whether or not I need to get the 3 manifold gaskets pictured in the link below, P/N
17106-PHM-006.

Questions:
1, Has anyone reused these and how did that go?
2, For anyone who bought the part # above, does it come with 3 gaskets as in the picture below or do you have to order 3 of the above P/N?

#6 on the diagram below:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I've replaced them once and came to the conclusion it wasn't necessary as they were still soft and flexible. Have done many EGR cleanings since without issue. They are priced each.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks to all. Another thought/query...

So after reading and re-reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that the best way to do this job (which has not been stated as plainly as I am about to) is:

1. Remove EGR valve and EGR plate...
2. Clean EGR plate like never before along with the entire area it mounts to...clean EGR valve and all contact areas...
3. Spray 16 cans of carb cleaner into rectangular EGR port until it comes out of oval shaped port on engine (under 3 ports) clean and clear...using snake bits or whatever is available to help clear the passage....blow with compressed air when finished...clean up huge mess under car

Is this correct? Nobody directly mentions #3 but just hints at it.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,686 Posts
Wait you forgot to remove the partial hidden 12mm headed bolt that covers the port channels from the egr valve.
And it only take maybe 1 can of cleaner also.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Bead blaster cleans up the plate in a minute.

Scrapers and picks for the passages followed by a blow gun. Never used carb cleaner, probably makes a mess. Wire brush on the valve while energizing the solenoid a few times.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts