Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post yet another success story regarding replacing the EGR valve on a '00 with about 70k miles.

I had some minor bucking and jerking problems last fall, but they were relatively minor, and were dwarfed by the IMA problems I had over the winter. (By the way, I find the behavior of the new battery pack and the SOC indicator after the modules were replaced to be exactly what has been describe by Willie in one of his posts. A little disconcering to watch your SOC routinely drop to about five bars just driving around town. That's another story, however.)

At any rate, I was pretty sure a couple of weeks ago that my recent problems were the result of a faulty EGR valve, and, contrary to John's frequent advice ;) , I decided to throw money at the problem without a "definitive" diagnosis. Installed it this morning, before the new post-global-warning Wisconsin heat set in, and the problem is fixed, and I'm quite happy with the throttle response in the 1500-2250 rpm range and the freedom from bucking, jerking, and stumbling.

Two suggestions: First, don't order the gasket separately. It comes in the box with the valve itself. Second, do order a few of the nuts that secure the valve. They cost 17 cents, and it's easier to pull a new one out and use it than to find the one that you dropped ... somewhere. - Pat

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
tubesguy said:
At any rate, I was pretty sure a couple of weeks ago that my recent problems were the result of a faulty EGR valve, and, contrary to John's frequent advice ;) ...
Ok I'll make it official:

I recant all my previously stated positions as to EGR valve being the unlikely source. ;) Although cleaning the _valve_ seems to help many members and is the lower cost of all the EGR options.

One member even disassembled his EGR valve when the cleaning technique failed. Reported failures also include the internal lift sensor that _may_ be successfully "cleaned" with the valves disassembly (an advanced skills job, if you "oops" then you'll need another valve).

So far the EGR plumbing issues are on the bottom of the list. But just give'em another 100K miles or so, then we'll see who was "right". :p

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the way, if anyone wants to experiment with any of the cleaning or rebuilding techniques that have been suggested in the past, I'd be happy to send my old valve to them for the price of postage. - Pat

PS - Few more suggestions: Cold engine, PB Blaster before you start trying to loosen the nuts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have to weigh in here. I can guarantee there is at least one circumstance when the EGR valve is a problem, when the car has been backed into by a pick-up and the valve squashed :shock:

I bought the car knowing it had been in a light front-end accident but not recognizing that the collision had in fact just contacted the EGR valve and bent the top half with respect to the bottom half so the poppet was jammed, but surprisingly not broken. Noboby could have been more shocked than me when I disassembled it (thanks to the the great post), straightened it in a vise, lubed it, reassembled it, bench tested it, and it worked! Except for following Pat's lead and dropping one of the nuts :oops: it all went surprisingly well.

I don't know about the cleaning issue, I cleaned it while it was apart on principle, but I'm with John on this, we'll see in a few million more miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
moses said:
I have to weigh in here. I can guarantee there is at least one circumstance when the EGR valve is a problem, when the car has been backed into by a pick-up and the valve squashed :shock:
You too!? Bought mine in the same condition, car had been written off because a pick-up with a high hitch backed into it getting out of a parking spot. May not even have seen the little Insight. Took out the intake manifold, throttle, A/C and rad, etc. etc.

Warning to everybody - watch where you park and who you park behind.

As for the EGR valve, it had been lightly dinged, gently tapped it back, seems to work.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Just as a FYI,

And since the Insight's EGR's "problems" have been so widespread here's my compliation of the most helpful threads so far (sorry if I've missed somebodys favorite, post it here and I'll add it to my FAQ archive). Listed in chronological order:

Insightful Trekker (me)

Honda recognizes EGR valve's potential for engine roughness
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653

Cleaning:

EGR valve cleaning, instructions please
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=1978

cktman (Rick Lewis)

Cleaning won't always fix

EGR VALVE DISCOVERY
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3287

Disassembly:

retepsnikrep ( = Peter Perkins, through the looking glass :?: :p )

EGR valve unveiled and some repair ideas.
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=4975

Confrimations (you are here ;) ):

EGR replacement success - and recommendations
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=5218

HTH! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts