Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Honda ever fix the EGR valve issues that caused surging, with a design change? I tend to believe the answer is no. It sucks to think we have to keep cleaning or replacing this part every so often and Honda is doing nothing to correct it.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
As your _already_ aware Resist the answer is we don't know. And will not for many tens of thousands of miles until the 05-06 models reach the "age of EGR hiccups". And as you _already_ know YMMV. I've got over 80k on mine right now without any symptoms. The failures have been various with several low cost potential "fixes" too.

See:

Honda recognizes EGR valve's potential for engine roughness
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653

Cleaning:

EGR valve cleaning, instructions please
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=1978

cktman (Rick Lewis)

Cleaning won't always fix

EGR VALVE DISCOVERY
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3287

Disassembly:

retepsnikrep (Peter Perkins)

EGR valve unveiled and some repair ideas.
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=4975

Confirmations:

EGR replacement success - and recommendations
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=5218

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Insightful Trekker said:
As your _already_ aware Resist the answer is we don't know.
Actually no, I'm not aware if anyone has confirmed information that Honda corrected the design issue or not. Why is this so hard to get this information from Honda?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
First off your assuming its some type of design fault or materials flaw.
Things break for all sorts of reasons.

Secondly its plain you've never worked for a large multi-national company. Even _IF_ this popped up on the employee who's "responsible" for monitoring such "radar", finding the one tiny bit of information for what is probably Honda's lowest volume selling car isn't a small task.

IIRC there was a part number revision. But I could be wrong. If and when you decide to order a replacement valve this information is _generally_ (but there are exceptions) reflected in the parts catalog (part number change). There can be several different reasons for a PN change. One of which is a "design" revision. Could be a materials change only (we've already covered that in an earlier post of yours).

Near perfection is barely a humanly achievable task. For such parts look to the aerospace industry, where a _single_ nut and bold can cost tens of dollars. And even with that degree of QA in manufacturing they still break and or are replaced within their design lifetime.

Want a car with 1/10 the failure rate of the "average" Honda and likely 5x the maintenance costs :?: It can be done, but expect to pay 10x for the achievement.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Resist said:
Did Honda ever fix the EGR valve issues that caused surging, with a design change? I tend to believe the answer is no. It sucks to think we have to keep cleaning or replacing this part every so often and Honda is doing nothing to correct it.
When mine acted up and the WD40 trick worked (still perfect after about 6 months) I went to the trouble to write Honda about it suggesting they look into a fix. I got a call back from them and we chatted about it. They claimed that they knew of a problem with the Pilot EGR valve, but he couldn't find any record of any other complaint about the one on the Insight. I told him about all the issues people here had experienced, and suggested others contact Honda in another earlier thread.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
devin1955 said:
They claimed that they knew of a problem with the Pilot EGR valve, but he couldn't find any record of any other complaint about the one on the Insight. I told him about all the issues people here had experienced, and suggested others contact Honda in another earlier thread.
You have got to be kidding! Honda claims there is no record of the issues we experienced? Numerous people have taken their Insights into dealerships and had this problem repaired under warranty. How could Honda not know about the issue with all the warranty repair records?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Ummm Resist :?:

Slipping back to the post-to-post mode of reply are we :?:

See the answer to your question in my earlier reply above. And remember argument for argument's sake is not what IC is about. Lets avoid further needed moderator intervention. Please :?:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Resist, have you tried changing your CVT fluid to Honda's "new" blend?

Once I did all of "shuddering" I thought was related to the EGR valve disappeared! (see here)

It's been 15,000 miles since I last touched the EGR valve and I haven't had one hiccup or shudder at all. 8)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SeanW said:
Resist, have you tried changing your CVT fluid to Honda's "new" blend?
Why? I don't have any problems right now. I was just asking if Honda had fixed the design issue with the EGR valve. I had the shuddering about 8,000 miles ago and Honda replaced the EGR valve and the shuddering stopped. It was an EGR valve issue. But as I sated, I don't have any issues at this time anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.