Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. i have looked for some references for the egr valve replacement as far as online ordering is concerned. where's the best price?
thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would try cleaning it yourself first, alot have found it successful and it isnt a hard part to access and remove. Ultimatly i bought a new one and i think it was somewhere near the 300 mark with the gasket (CND)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did try to clean mine once with a degreaser. i simply removed the valve, did some cleaning, tryed to get excess out with compressed air, then put it back. i could not tell a difference.
the herky jerky is VERY bad.
i found a place for 157.67 with gasket. i think shipping is 10%. weird policy.
i havent even called the dealer to ask them what it costs through them.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
kookmyers said:
I did try to clean mine once with a degreaser.
Burnt carbon isn't a "greasy" susbtance hence a likely cause of your poor sucess.

WD-40 is the likely low cost champion for the attempt. Also _soaking_ overnight, upright and immersed to the base of the valve's entry point to the electric motor will likely be the best way to do the job. ALthough rigging a 12v conncetor to actuate the valve several times has been shown to help too.

Still there are others that have fould the failure to be its integrated lift sensor which requires replacement for repair.

I'd recomend reviewing the EGR titled threads and trying what has been sucessful for others _before_ taking the final step of replacement. The "Herkey Jerky" thread also has some good tips.

There are _many_ potential causes of such a symptom. The EGR valve is only one _possible_ source. Read; you may be replacing a perfectly good part.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
When will Honda address this issue and come out with a fix? Replacing the EGR is short term solution as it just happens again down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I can't believe I'm typing this...but I agree with Resist!...(just joking)

I understand the Insight is unique but the EGR valve has been part of the engine design for a long time now...Now they are more computer adjustable, but it is still an EGR valve...I don't remember having to change or clean the EGR valve in my earlier Honda CRX and Acura Integras...Seems like a common occurence while I read these posts.

CRX 243,000 miles
3 Integra(s) all between 120,000 and 150,000 miles

I still wonder if lean burn is partly responsible since it seems (to me anyway) to only be a problem in the manual transmission.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi JoeCVT,

Its _true_ that most of the _reported_ "herky-jerkys" are also reported to be solved with an EGR repair of your choice. And that cleaning was never intended to be a long term fix. However, as a whole most members have not reported replacing the valve and of those that have not all report a continuation of the problem.

I think your on to something CVT vs. 5spd. and lean burn.

There is a _slight_ misfire on acceleration while holding lean burn that is _normal_ and cannot be repaired. Its a limitation of lean burn and those that expect it will _all_ go away with an EGR "fix" don't understand the system. It also appears that the lean burn system is hyper sensative to EGR quantities. So while the same design of valve works flawlessly on other models the additional precision ( :?: ) required for a 5spd Insight makes it look like a "bad" part.

Resist has a long history of posts containing only 1 or 2 sentences. IMO there are very few automotive systems that can be adequately qualified in so few words.

HTH! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts