Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2002 CVT Insight on July 8th with 65000 miles on it. (First Car!)
Shorty after ( 2 or 3 days ) It started "Lugging" while accellerating and driving on the Interstate.
I looked on the forum that some cause of this is a dirty or broken EGR valve, so I called my dealer to have it looked at.

I droped my car off the next day, and told the service department everything that had happened and told him I was concerned about the EGR valve being dirty or in disrepair. 20 min later they told me that I need a new transmisson! :!: :!: :!: :!: So they took my car (only 3 weeks) and gave me a rental....

I am still really bummed out about this, I have only had this car for 3 weeks and they take it from me and give me a rental.
I havent even made my first payment on it.
:(

Oh well the only good out of all of this, is that its all under warrenty. 8)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Did you have an extended warranty with the car? The CVT's need the fluid replaced every 30,000 miles so it makes me wounder if it's ever been replaced. Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I bought an exteneded warranty for an aditional 100,000 miles, turns out I bought a tow truck package for $695 :evil: (Honda Care)
I already pay for that with insurance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Buyer beware

Welcome to the real world of typical Honda dealers. :cry: When many of them see an 'innocent' like yourself coming, they greedily get geared up to wring you dry, seeing that you are likely uninformed about most details of your car. You were wiser that most in investigating the EGR which is likely the real culprit, as most automatic trans are fairly reliable even through long periods of neglect

First thing, get the diagnostic codes and post them here. Myself and others have the factory service manuals and will tell you what the codes really mean. In your case the prior owner. like many of us unfortunate used buyers have found out, bailed on a car they could read big trouble coming. :x

One ray of hope, did the car sell as 'Honda Certified' for whatever that useless peice of paper's worth? You may have an edge there. And now you know 'the rest of the story' about so-called extended warranty sold by the average car dealership, absolutly worthless to you, but a nice extra dollop of profit for them. Really didn't cover a thing worth having except for the towing, right?

And future wise, any repairs on any car by any dealer / shop / whatever: make 'em prove it up front, make 'em show the problem in detail until you are totally convinced it's real, then make 'em show the old parts off and the new parts on where ever you can see the items. Would be a little more difficult on internal system components like the trans (unless it's a complete replacement unit which would be the way I'd do it ), but they'll sitll have old parts out of it. Or, just carefully wander into the so called 'restricted' area of the shop and casually have a look into it yourself to see what they're up to. When I was 'in the trade', being one of the few 'honest' mechanics I knew, I was more than willing to cooperate with the customer in showing / explaining exactly why the car needed such a part, and perhaps something they could do to prevent a repair like that again. Like keeping your left foot OFF ( 'unlearn' using your left foot, even ) the brake pedal on automatics to avoid cutting your brake pads and rotors life in half.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, The car was "Honda Certified"

Well I have to check on this but in WI you have 90 days to return a car, but you have to have good reasons.

I think this is true, I was told it once, or I read it, not for sure have to call DMV/DOT ( hell on earth hotline ) *sigh* :(

So if there is something seriously wrong with the car, I guess I dont want to take the risk in keeping something I cannot afford. :(

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
NOc, fisrt you said " the only good out of all of this, is that its all under warrenty". Then you said, " turns out I bought a tow truck package for $695".

What's the story? Are they fixing it under warranty?

Over the last 24 years 3 Honda dealers have gone the extra mile to honor any of my warranty issues. Hope you get this resolved pronto.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok to clear things up

Rick said:
Did you have an extended warranty with the car?quote]

While I was signing papers, they told me that for an additional 695 I would get an extra 100,000 mile warrenty, Meaning I thought it was an additional 100,000 mile warrenty for the car.

It turns out it was Honda Care, a tow truck package.....
They never said Tow truck, Warranty for extra 100,000 miles.
They did say Honda Care but they did a horrable job of explaining it, my father and I were under the impression that it was an extended warrenty for 100,000 extra miles.

Yes, they are fixing it under warrenty.

The thing that gets me is how could you miss the transmission and sell it and then it has to be fixed.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
N0c said:
<snip>

It turns out it was Honda Care, a tow truck package.....

<Snip>

The thing that gets me is how could you miss the transmission and sell it and then it has to be fixed.

AFAIK Honda care is more than just a tow truck package. Seems you need to understand what you bought. Its not as comprehensive as the original warranty and does not cover normal wear items e.g. brakes, wiper inserts etc. But it does cover the major power train parts including the IMA system and its batteries. And other moderately expensive items such as power window regulators etc.

As complex as a CVT transmission is even during an extended road test of say 20 miles a problem might not occur. Just as a precaution I'd make _sure_ that the reintroduced CVT ATF is used.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3364

If they "oops" just get them to do a "flush" its sufficient to "upgrade" the fluids quality. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I now understand Honda Care. But my Insurance covers everything that honda care can....

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Insurance that covers mechanical repairs parts and labor :?: Who have you got and how much is the premium :?:

AFAI remember Honda Care does allow for a refund when requesting termination of this extended warranty contract. There are a couple _old_ posts on this topic.

Anybody got the specifics :?:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok what I am trying to get at here with the Honda Care is that its only up to 100,000 miles.

Now, there is a warrenty already on the car for 100,000 miles, like all cars have.

The car has 75,000 on it. So I bought a tow truck for $695 which they came across in telling me that I would get an additional 100,000 miles.

I have State Farm to tow my car and pay for it.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Honda's basic warranty is only 3/36. Several other manufacturers have a 3/50 and only Hundai has a 100K (powertrain) warranty AFAIK.

There is a waranty for emmissions performance for _some_ items up to 8/80 and if the car is sold as SULEV this "warranty" is extended 150K (does not apply to any Insight, and few other cars).

So in addition to many mid priced components like I specified in an eariler post above your $695 also "bought" another 20K coverage (80K+20K=100K) for the IMA system. :)

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
There is a waranty for emmissions performance for _some_ items up to
8/80 and if the car is sold as SULEV this "warranty" is extended 150K
(does not apply to any Insight, and few other cars).
Why doesn't this apply for the CVT?...It is a SULEV vehicle as compared
to the manual version - an ULEV vehicle....

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Joe,

You got me guessing whether or not I was leaving a letter of the sequence, but I checked an don't think so (still I could be wrong and have gotten these terms mixed in past posts). 5 spd = LEV (Low Emmissions Vehicle), CVT = ULEV (Ultra Low Emmissions Vehicle)

Not sure what the "S" is supposed to stand for in SULEV. ;)

(Savings :?: Since the emmissions warranty is "extended" even farther :?: :p )

·
Registered
468 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
You got me guessing whether or not I was leaving a letter of the sequence, but I checked an don't think so (still I could be wrong and have gotten these terms mixed in past posts). 5 spd = LEV (Low Emmissions Vehicle), CVT = ULEV (Ultra Low Emmissions Vehicle))
My 5 speed manual has a ULEV sticker on it.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
My car has an SULEV sticker on it (bought it in North Carolina and I live
in New Hampshire) Here is a link from this sight that may explain it
a little more: http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/compare/emissions.html

If you goto http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm and select
2003 Honda Insight - Then click on the CVT model - scroll down
to the last map it will show where SULEV vehicles are sold. The states
are CA, MA, ME, NY, VT ... States that border the previous mentioned
may also sell SULEV under EPA policy. These states are AZ, CT, NH,
NJ, NV, OR, PA, RI - This may explain a bit better why some people
have ULEV on CVTs and some have SULEV on them. I believe that
lean burn on manuals knock out the SULEV rating on all manual Insight
models. So there is no SULEV manual version of the Insight.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Well,

Looks like I've mucked up the letters. So I might as well throw in another PZEV ( :?: ). Anyways *IF* you've bought one of the "special" extended emmissions warranty Hondas (their rare and only available in CA emmissions compliant states and not all sold even in these states are necessairly the variety in question) then hopefully you'll know who you are.

And again the *only* difference is the extension of the _emmissions_ part of the warranty, CAT's IMA and the like.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts