Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anybody have some detailed information about the electric motor used in the insight. I am interessed in things like: dimensions, weight, type of cooling, maximum RPM and things like that.

If you have something can you please tell me where you have found it.

Thanks

Jules Verhulst

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
As far as I know , no electric motors has a set maximum speed.... you can drive them faster and harder if you like by going over spec... but the long and more often you do this the faster the motor heats up and the faster it wears out..... The IMA motor of the Insight spins with the ICE so it has to be able to take at least 6,000+ RPMs and more likely the ICE will come apart long before the RPMs become an issue for the IMA Motor.

The motor is rated for 10kW but again electric motors aren't that simple... you can take a small 6VDC motor and push it with 12VDC and it will run... but the more you are over spec and the more often you are over spec the more likely something is to go wrong / Break.

What are you trying to do / use if for?

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
The rpm is the same as the motor or over 6000 rpm. The motor rotor weighs about 3-5 lbs, the coil assembly is probably about 25. I will be making a demo in the next month or so where I will mount just the motor on a stand, with a driver and support bearings so the hybrid training class can demonstrate a 3 phase brushless dc motor to hybrid technicians. Once I do that I can give you the full story.
The rotor magnets have a fiberglass band around them so the if a magnet gets loose the fiberglass band will keep it from flying off. I suspect that speeds much over 6000 rpm may present a potential danger of magnet separation or they would not have built it that way.
There are no bearings to support the rotor when you remove the motor from the ICE, and the rotor removal requires a special puller to prevent damage to the fiberglas band while removing it.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The magnets in this motor are exceptionally strong but have a fixed field strength. Push too much reverse magnetic force through them (over their design spec.) and you will run into problems. Inefficiency and heat will increase non linearly.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Hi Kip
I had the rotor in my hand last weekend. The magnets are strong, but I have seen stronger in some old hard drives. I put a screwdriver on one, and was able to pull it off easily.
They are about 2X2" I will be putting a photo of the insight rotor next to the M2 motor in a prius drive. up on my website in a day or two, it is a rare time that you will see those things together.
I have the synergy drive on my bench. I am making a cutaway so the class can crank handles and watch the gears in side. It should be cool.
If you crank the rotor of M2 on the prius by hand, a quarter turn, you produce 5V at 45 A. The magnets are much smaller on the prius and it has many more pole pieces. It is a pretty interesting to compare them. You would love this class.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all very much for this information. I am using the information for a school assignment.

Can somebody tell me the values of the peak and continues power and torque.

Thanks for all the help.

Grz Jules Verhulst

·
Premium Member
129 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Mike, sounds like interesting work you are doing. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike I am very interested too ofcourse. I am also looking forward to seeing the pictures.

If you have the chance can you please put the electric motor on a scale?

thanks

Jules Verhulst

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice pictures you have on your site mike, but do you have the dimensions of the rotor for me. I know the length is around 60 mm but can you tell me what the diameter is.

thx

Jules Verhulst

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Finally got the Insight motor in my shop. The rotor is 6.625" in diameter. The rotor weighs 8.75 lbs, and the coil assembly is ~28 lbs.
I got to tear the whole ICE down to parts on the table. Kind of a shame to wreck a good motor, but it is for the4 good of science.
We will use only the top of the block, the crank, The bottom bearing assembly and the IMA motor. I hope to power the motor for demo purposes with a Microchip three phase motor demo board.
We may do a Vtek demo with the head to show the valve switching.

We also took a prius synergy drive apart. The rotor of MG2 is about 6.25" in diameter, but is nearly 6" deep. The huge coil assembly weighs over 50 lbs alone, and the rotor is nearly 15 lbs.

I am also making a regen demo out of MG1, where we put a hand crank on the input, and connected some nichrome ribbon between 3 phases. Some fast cranking will turn the nichrome cherry red. The demo will also have a max regen mode where I short the three phases together. With the short, I can just barely keep the crank going, and the measured current is over 50A.
The power split device will be powered with three dc gearmotors the will be reversable and variable speed, with leds showing current flow and regen.
Lots of fun to be able to dig this deep.
;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts