Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the attached pictures I show the development and use of a home built tool designed to test the griping tension of the female pins in an Insight electrical plug. Sometimes, the quality of old plugs comes into question, particularly in case of intermittent electrical problems.

As near as I can determine by looking at bunch of different modules from my donor car, the plug pins are either 1mm or 2mm wide. By harvesting one of each pin from an unused module, I have created a double ended tool which can be used like a feeler gauge to test the grip tension of each individual female pin in a plug.

In the attached pictures, the first picture shows the tool being used to "feel" the grip tension of and individual female pin

The second picture shows the harvesting of a pin from a donor module. The pin is first clipped near the PC board and bent to straighten. Then the pen and the plastic plug are heated locally at their junction until the plug is melted and quite soft. (An old style Weller soldering gun works well, but any high power soldering iron would work) At this point the pin can be pulled out of the module plug, and should immediately be wiped with a shop cloth to wipe off the molten plastic.

The third picture shows the harvested narrow and wide pins.

the fourth picture shows the two pins soldered together.

The fifth picture shows the pins with a "handled" in the middle formed by successive layers of heat shrink.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is an interesting find. I did not know that Amazon had the removal tool.

The tool I build was intended to test the need to replace terminals, not to extract them; but it is great to know that both ends are covered :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
The best test is ohm resistance at your connection the pins don’t generally wear out unless you are constantly unplugging and plugging them in again as for replacing the dealer has individual pins and female connection sockets to replace them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts