Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday, 3.30.2014 from 3 to 6 PM:
Scott. Neil, and myself will be at the "Viewing" of the Elio in Ontario Ca, at the Double Tree Motel. Address is 222 North Vineyard Ave. 91764.

All Insighters invited.

Willie

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Eilo Viewing

They stopped here in Austin on 3.24.14. A line of 30+ were standing there to sit in it. I talked to one of the presenters a bit, and he pumped it up as a good presenter should. I didn't sit in it-didn't want to wait 2 or 3 hours. Took some pictures, asked if they had considered purchasing the manufacturing rights for a Honda insight 3 cylinder engine and using it, but the person just looked off into space and said they were going with another company. Unique vehicle, potential is there-only way to know is for production to start. Since it is more than 3 times cheaper than a new 1G Insight was, they may sell some, but it's an unknown if they will hit their 250K goal. They have 13K pre-sales, so maybe. $6,800 is low.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I think their 250k goal is a bit insane, but at a price cheaper than a lot of motorcycles... I'd bet they could sell quite a few if they will actually start making them (I'm looking in your direction, Aptera).

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Looking at their website to try to find out how fast they were going to get 84 MPG. No mention, but I did find:

"It only costs $6,800. That’s about what you would pay for an outboard motor to power a rowboat."

You can get a new Mercury 90 HP for that much. Maybe their rowboat is a trireme?

Good plan to go with 3 wheels to utilize the loophole for motorcycles. Does seem like they should have been able to do better than that for the MPG.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Supposedly it's 84 MPG on the highway EPA test.

Which seems pretty good to me.

·
Premium Member
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This will be my third viewing, from the 1st version to the 4th I think. It has grown longer and heavier. I think 70+mpg will be the real world/final conclusion.
They have been using an old Geo Metro engine in all the prototypes I've seen.

I do have a spare turbo on the shelf.

Willie

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Hey Willie,

The wife and I met with Rush yesterday to check out the Elio, until now I've been referring to it as a car but I think I have to stop doing that after seeing. It really is an enclosed motorcycle, but I was impressed with the looks and the interior was a lot better than I expected! This was the 4th prototype and I know there is a 5th coming that will mostly lock down the interior, will be interested to see that one when it tours around.

·
Premium Member
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I agree.
Tomorrow I'll see if I can "Get under the hood".
I'll also push the R&D questions.

Willie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts