Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is normal, but my emergency brakes seem to have barely any braking force at all. I had the brake lever recall done a while ago, and I'm curious if this was done correctly. I had the recall done as soon as I got the car so I don't know what it was like before. The emergency brake gives barely any braking force, so little that I've had the car roll down a steep incline with the emergency brake on. (Though stopping the car with the brake pedal, then releasing it didn't cause it to resume rolling)

Is this amount of braking normal? Or is there something wrong with my emergency brakes? Any input is appreciated.

EDIT: The car is a 2000 5-speed.

G

·
Hi Foxpaw:

___My emergency will lock up the rears and hold her dead stopped on an ~ 1 degree slope of our drive every night? There is an adjustment that can be done to tighten them up a bit IIRC. Just don’t tighten it up enough to cause any drag is all.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3pcgfmmj][email protected][/email:3pcgfmmj]

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, well, the slope it was rolling back on is a very steep incline in part of a parking lot (probrably over 30 degrees. Don't ask me why they paved the "cliff") , so I don't know if it's normal.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Just have to ask: How hard do you pull the lever?

In general, the e-brake should hold you on an incline, even a moderate to steep one. It depends on how hard you lock it.

Of course, you should always leave in in gear, too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have to really pull hard on the parking brake to get a decent amount of force. There's not much slack in the cable either. Just leaving the car in gear is not enough, since it doesn't take much force to turn the 1 liter engine. I'm a bit wary of parking on even a 20 degree incline!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts