Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are various threads that are hit or miss with this code

I am trying to pinpoint if I am getting this code right away or if it has something to do with when the car gets warm.

If i reset codes I get about 20mins of great driving with the IMA and then somewhere in between the emission parts becoming "ready" (monitoring with a ODB connector) and making it to the emissions place I get the dreaded P1565.

Do the sensors involved with the P1565 code take time to fail or if I had a bad sensor would it fail right away after a code reset?

Is there some good pics of the connectors locations to check?

I have replaced all ground straps and grid charged the battery.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? No one? I have observed the IMA light will turn off on its own driving around but this code remains.

Again it seems to run the best after a code reset right when you first drive it. After warm up or emissions ready state it gets a bit angry.

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
Try driving with minimum use of the IMA (After a reset) for a while until the emissions is "ready", see if that makes a difference. It takes about 3 cycles of vehicle operation or around 50 miles of various driving styles for everything to reset.

After a reset, let the engine idle until the IMA battery SOC shows "Full". Don't rev it.
Then drive.
Again, try not to use the IMA function.
(I'm trying to get you past emissions)

HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Now that you tried grid charging and the IMA battery still won't work, you are left with two options.

1. Replace the IMA battery.

2. Bypass the IMA battery.
P1565 has nothing to do with the IMA battery. Please pay attention.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Try driving with minimum use of the IMA (After a reset) for a while until the emissions is "ready", see if that makes a difference. It takes about 3 cycles of vehicle operation or around 50 miles of various driving styles for everything to reset.

After a reset, let the engine idle until the IMA battery SOC shows "Full". Don't rev it.
Then drive.
Again, try not to use the IMA function.
(I'm trying to get you past emissions)

HTH
Willie
Its nearly impossible to do that here in Colorado. I need RPM to get up and down little hills but I did try to do it but got the code again anyway.

After driving around for awhile the P1565 trips the check engine and IMA but pending on stops sometimes the IMA light goes away (engine light remains) and the "boost" returns. Using some of the other threads to locate the sensors I need to check like the recent post with pictures.

I have some contact cleaner on order and the car is going through another grid charge/discharge cycle while I wait for cleaner.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well chased cables and cleaned connectors and its still very consistent. It happens RIGHT before all the emission equipment goes into the ready state. I am not sure if the IMA system has a similar "warm up" before it starts reporting errors.

Once the car is warmed up and you try to clear the code it comes back almost right away after you drive it.

If you let it sit over night and reset the codes you get about the same 20-30 minutes of great driving with assist right before all the emissions sensors become ready.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
6,877 Posts
It might help if you could borrow an oscilloscope from someone and look at the three signal lines out of the commutation sensors. i think I would try that before taking the transmission out.

This advance diagnostic:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6EDknyr-8unM2J3RTJ0dERNdzQ/view

Should give a good idea of the waveform and the phasing of the signals.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It might help if you could borrow an oscilloscope from someone and look at the three signal lines out of the commutation sensors. i think I would try that before taking the transmission out.

This advance diagnostic:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6EDknyr-8unM2J3RTJ0dERNdzQ/view

Should give a good idea of the waveform and the phasing of the signals.
I did see that page in my shop manual. Would something like this measure the waveform or would a need to find a big real oscilloscope? http://a.co/b8IiIKC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts