Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what the smog and greenhouse gas emmisions of the CVT Insight is compared to the 2004-2005 Prius? InsightCentral compares the Insight to the older Prius, but not the newer Prius. I'm just wondering, does the CVT Insight still win?

·
Registered
125 Posts
May be wrong in some aspects... Anyone feel free to correct me. :)

In the gov't eyes, the Prius is a tad better. The CVT Insight is classified as a SULEV while the new Prius is ATPZEV. Reason being is the Prius can run in all electric mode. At higher speeds where the ICE is running all the time, it's still considered SULEV/PZEV.

From what I understand. PZEV and SULEV are virtually the same with PZEV having a 15 year warranty on the emissions.

Supposedly, ATPZEV are PZEV cars that have some sort of other means to provide propulsion that is not supplied by the ICE. Interestingly enough, California now requires all hybrids 2005+ to meet the ATPZEV requirement to use HOV lanes. Though I don't see how the HCH can meet this requirement due to the IMA setup. Someone correct me on this. :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
There's more to it than that.

PZEV vehicles, whether hybrid or not, also must release ZERO evaporative emissions. They must have some sort of sealed intake system so they don't release any fumes while parked. And while running they are so clean that in smoggy areas, the tailpipe exhaust is cleaner than the air that the engine breathes in. They also have a variety of advanced pre-catalysts and engine controls so they are very clean on cold startup, which is when most cars produce a big chunk of their emissions.

Now, the Insight may win something back because of its better mpg -- i.e., under some conditions it may have lesser emissions per mile.

But overall, I'm afraid that a new Prius beats the Insight soundly on emissions, especially when you consider its all-electric mode at low speeds.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This calculator says that a CVT Insight and Prius II both put out similar emissions. The Prius is most likely cleaner with other emissions and probably does much better in stop and go situations.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
SULEV and ATPZEV are almost the same. Any "advanced technology" can be several things that are not traditional gas or diesel engines. The addition of the electric motor makes them "advanced". The Civic GX is also considered an ATPZEV because it runs on natural gas, which in itself is a very sealed fuel system. The volume of emissions and CO2 output is directly correlated to mpg so the Insight will win here, but the other emissions ratings relate to smog forming emissions like NOX, CO, Hydro Carbons etc.

That said, of those who have had to run their Insight's through emissions testing most have barely had any readable numbers comming out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thought I'd post this... something I found on the California Air resources site.

ZEV
Zero Emission Vehicles have zero tailpipe emissions and are 98% cleaner than the average new 2003 model year vehicle.

AT PZEV
Advanced Technology PZEVs meet SULEV tailpipe emission standards, have a 15 year / 150,000 mile warranty, have zero evaporative emissions and include advanced technology components. For example, a plug-in hybrid or a compressed natural gas vehicle would qualify in this category.

PZEV
Partial Zero Emission Vehicles meet SULEV tailpipe emission standards, have a 15 year / 150,000 mile warranty and have zero evaporative emissions.

SULEV
Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles are 90% cleaner than the average new 2003 model year vehicle.

ULEV
Ultra Low Emission Vehicles are 50% cleaner than the average new 2003 model year vehicle.

LEV
Low Emission Vehicles are the least stringent emission standard for all new cars sold in California in 2004 and beyond.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts