Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Seeking help as i face this problem with my Honda Insight 2012.
Just normal driving after i drop my friend, the car suddenly loosing power and indicator for emission, brake and VSA all light up.

The car able to start, not over heated but stepped on the pedal didn't provide any power for the car to move.

Anyone know what the problem might be???

Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
I'm not a G2 guy, but I've read that this is usually a 12V battery problem. Do a search and you'll get a lot of hits. Meanwhile have your 12V load tested.

Sam

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this exact problem two months ago. I have a 2013 Insight, still under warranty, but had it towed to the dealership because I lost almost all power to the engine. Everything was still running but I couldn't get the car to get over 18 mph and that was with the RPM gauge reved up to the red. Anyway, they looked at it and said it was an electrical short which could have been caused by any number of things. They reset the sensors and everything went back to normal...until this morning. I was out driving in town and all the lights came on again: hill start assist, VSA, brakes, and emissions. This time the car did not power down like it did the first time and I was able to drive it home. Essentially, it feels and acts like the hybrid feature of my car isn't working. I'm hoping I just need a new battery. From what I'm reading online, the 12volt battery goes bad and can't hold the load. Both times this has happened I was driving in city traffic with the AC on, so that may have put too much strain on it. I will post follow up when I can get it to the dealer. Please do the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my car inspected and Honda service center staff share to me that they had receive numerous return of this issue. It combustion part leak and cause low pressure, thus the car have no power to move forward.

Suspected that this is flaws with the engine and it require overhaul which cost me 3-4k in USD.

Maybe every insight owner should check with their service centre about this issue as it seem like quite a lot owner having this break down, due to combustion leak.

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Where are you located? Did they provide you with a record of the compression test? Did they (or you) test the 12V battery?

How many miles on your car? Do you check your oil and do you know if it uses any oil? Some 2012s have had a problem with this, and if you let it run out of oil, it COULD be low on compression. If so, Honda has replaced some engines, but some have had to replace it themselves.

Sam

·
Registered
790 Posts
This is such crap. Honda should be rebuilding these things with rings that aren't faulty. The 10-11's are basically bulletproof unless you go doing a bunch of stuff to them. In no way should Honda have slacked and put out a bunch of engines that eventually deteriorate 12+ and up. I wonder if they finally fixed it in the latest years that came out ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dis anyone has follow ups?

I have the same problem, I started my 2012 Insight in the morning, and all of sudden the lights came on: hill start assist, VSA, brakes, and emissions.

But it did not lose power, and i drove it even to 70MPH on highway. A local mechanic helped me reset all lights, and now it seems everything is OK. I am a little afraid some day it will show up again.

Anybody know what is the problem is and how to solve it? Thanks SOOOOO much.
:mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car was due to combustion leakage and Honda Service Center got it fix by claiming Honda. Now it going smooth.

Initially before my car loosing power, it had light up as your case for the first time. It will slowly loosing power and end up like my Insight.

It better you have a good service record at Honda Service Center to be eligible for the claim in future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got this 2012 Honda Insight with 73k mi, weirdly , no maintenance record on Carfax, it was a personal leased car...

But i noticed many problems mentioned in this place.
1. the lights on as i posted.

2. oil burning, 1 qt for 1000 mi.

3. Occasionaly the squeak sound of auto lock for the passenger side...

4. I have to use the premium oil to decrease a strange sound when i press the gas. When i added regular oil, and press the gas at low speed, there is a ticking noise from the bottom. no reason, people say it could be the reason of gas, so i changed to premium. The noise is lower but still existed. I am pretty sure.

5. The TPMS light never disappear.

The car is out of warranty, and I am now a student. I bought this car to save money, but....it is really a problem.

My car was due to combustion leakage and Honda Service Center got it fix by claiming Honda. Now it going smooth.

Initially before my car loosing power, it had light up as your case for the first time. It will slowly loosing power and end up like my Insight.

It better you have a good service record at Honda Service Center to be eligible for the claim in future.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

I have the same problem, I started my 2012 Insight in the morning, and all of sudden the lights came on: hill start assist, VSA, brakes, and emissions.

But it did not lose power, and i drove it even to 70MPH on highway. A local mechanic helped me reset all lights, and now it seems everything is OK. I am a little afraid some day it will show up again.

:mad:
Information needed: how many miles on it? Was it low on oil? 2012 & 2013 Insights have faulty piston rings. You need to take your Insight to a Honda dealer to have an oil consumption test done. See thread titled "anybody burning oil"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

Mine is 2012 insight base, with 73kmi.

I got it on 70k mi, so not sure whether it was low before.

In my hand, I regularly add oil every two weeks, using mobile 1 0w20 syn.

The car is out of wrarenty now, is it necessary to do the oil burning test? It burns absolutely, and I will have to pay full. I would prefer to add oil every week until I sell it.

Thanks any way.

Information needed: how many miles on it? Was it low on oil? 2012 & 2013 Insights have faulty piston rings. You need to take your Insight to a Honda dealer to have an oil consumption test done. See thread titled "anybody burning oil"

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Seems like the 2012 oil burning problem again, see http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/troubleshooting-problems/42705-anybody-burning-oil.html...
Honda has fixed this for many Insighters before, but it may be a hassle to get them to do it. Read the thread thoroughly, note the TSB (you know what I mean after reading the thread) and confront your dealer with that and the stories of those who have been helped.

The other issues may just be a result of this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for your kind help, it may help but it could cost time to argue it.
I am now graduating this May and struggling with the dissertation...will watch the burning rate, and try my luck after graduation...
Thanks so much...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I would not accept oil burning at that mileage. Not in a Honda, especially one for which it is a known issue. (With a service bulletin!) It may be out of basic warranty, but it is not out of it's emmisions warranty. Burning that much oil is polluting.

And some advise for the future (I know you are now a student who just needed a cheap car) it's a good idea to see a dealer now and then when one has a car as complicated as an Insight. Cars now have computers that are subject to software updates. The local mechanic cannot do that. They also cannot fix known issues for free or offer "Goodwiil" discounts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for your professional advise. My 2012 insight has 73,000 mi on it now. I am now in Edison, New Jersey, US.

Will come to dealer next time if these lights come on again, and see whether any updates can be done. Thanks!!

What country are you in? Someone more local may have better advise for what you expect. 45,360 us miles is not that much. There is no way you should accept oil burning. Sure you can just add oil, but you are polluting. Emissions laws where you are May compel Honda to fix it.

And some advise for the future (know you are now a student who just needed a cheap car) it's a good idea to see a dealer now and then when one has a car as complicated as an Insight. Cars now have computers that are subject to software updates. The local mechanic cannot do that.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just an update. (2012 honda insight, 73k mi)

After a local mechanic reset all my lights for one week, today, all came out again: VSA, Hillstart, Brake and Check Emission system.

I drove my car first to autozone, get a code , P0302, cylinder 2 misfire.

Then i drove to Honda dealer. Hope they can get my IMA software update, and discussed the TSB 15-015 service bulletin, they said my car is out of warranty, and honda will not cover it.

I said, it is polluting the environment, and it should be be included in emission warranty. They just do not think so.

But they charged $40 for an oil consumption test to see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
8 Participants
shining_sir
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing