Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USAtoday.com is reporting that Honda announced today (Wednesday) that the Insight will be discontinued in September. I think I want to buy a new 2006 and store it for a couple of years........

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why exactly is Honda yanking the insight? Why cant they do more to promote it? Its not very expensive and it saves a lot of money on gas. I know people who are buying the same size cars for more or the same price as insight and getting only 20-30 mpg... If only they advertised more about the insight.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Sigh. :( I hope it's not true. If you read the summary of the CEO's speech there is no mention of the Insight. The comment about a September cut off in USA Today may be just more guessing, repetition of rumours, or wishfull thinking . :roll:

I bought mine in 2002 and was told at that time that they would discontinue it. If I was rich I'd buy a barn full of them. Some day a lot of folk will be kicking themselves for not getting one when they could.

The original Honda car and the Honda Dream motorcycle command high prices today relative to their original price. I think the Insight is a sure bet to appreciate in value. If you want one, now would be as good a time as any to order. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
really this is not good at all. you guys think insight parts are hard to get now?

there's people on these boards waiting multiple months for various things to come in.

imagine in 5 years.... harder to find, more expensive... even worse in 10

·
Registered
97 Posts
really this is not good at all. you guys think insight parts are hard to get now?

there's people on these boards waiting multiple months for various things to come in.

imagine in 5 years.... harder to find, more expensive... even worse in 10
That's a really good point.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
IIRC the only _really_ hard to get parts were the IMA batteries (for a while) until Honda ramped up their reman program. And the MCM & BCM as required for replacement with the above (not a "normally" required part).

Yes their "hard" to get in that few dealers stock anything more than filters.. So a couple of days wait for shipping from the nearest Honda warehouse :shrug:

G

·
0 Posts
Since the Insight was deleated from Honda UK's line up, it seams values here have, if anything, increased slightly!!!!!

maybe, at last, people are getting to realise that the Insight is more than just "a funny little car"

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Personally I'm more worried that in 25 years I'll be able to find the equivalent of gasoline than I'm worried about getting parts.

It should not have to be explained that reputable car companies continue to support models long after they stop producing them. Not a problem for my 1989 CRX, not a problem for my brother's 30 year old VW, not a problem for model"T" owners. Now, if the company goes bankrupt that's another matter. Therefor, buy your car from a large, reputable, innovative and growing company. ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
no biggie

as soon as the engine goes it's getting replaced with a B16

:badgrin:

the body wont rust

MOST of the main suspension parts are from previous CRX/CIVIC platforms.

again, no biggie...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
Sigh. :( I hope it's not true. If you read the summary of the CEO's speech there is no mention of the Insight. The comment about a September cut off in USA Today may be just more guessing, repetition of rumours, or wishfull thinking . :roll:
This time it's really true.

I just got my confirmation directly from Sage Marie of Honda Public Relations,
"Insight production will stop this summer, but we'll continue to sell it until we're out of inventory."

·
Registered
243 Posts
Honda's new Fit Hybrid will probably get good enough MPG to hold the #1 title with the insight gone. Too bad that after 7 years they can't/won't make a car that advances that state of the art and gets even better MPG than an Insight.

But it will even be a bigger shame that with the NSX gone, the production of AL bodied cars will stop at Honda. (Maybe Honda is stopping Insight production to free up production capacity for a new NSX.)

As for parts, there's a law that says parts must be available for 10 years after production stops. There's enough insights out there that honda will probably have the more commonly needed parts available long after that, not to mention used parts.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I believe that Honda has announced that their "successor" to the Insight would be a "family" vehicle (presumably meaning 4 or 5 passenger) priced below the HCH, and available in 2009.

I checked out the Honda Fit as a potential replacement for my rusting minivan. The EPA FE estimates are pathetic! It would appear to be over-powered.
I believe I get better FE with my manual transmission minivan, with a sailboard or kayak on top - hypermiling, of course.

The Honda Jazz (made in China, available in Japan) is rated around 50 mpg, and there may possibly be a European version of the Fit that will get reasonable FE, but I haven't seen anything about a Fit Hybrid. Did I miss something?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sad news

Basically Honda only has one real hybrid left until 2009. Thats bad news.

While the Civic is a great hybrid thats the only good one they have. There will be no fit hybrid from everything I have read. Looks like Toyota is going to stay the leader in hybrid tech. I was hoping Honda would fight back a little harder and try to regain ground from Toyota.

The 2009 hybrid may be as good as the next Prius. Not much to hope for.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The unfortunate facts are that the mass produced, steel-bodied Prius earns a healthy profit margin for Toyota, while every aluminum bodied Insight, produced in low volume, is delivered to the owner gift-wrapped in about 1.7 million Yen.
In the hybrid car marketing world, Honda has won a small battle, but lost the war to Toyota in a big way. Honda has apparently decided that it's an appropriate time to stop the "bleeding".
As a Product Manager, I once inherited a product with a negative profit margin, and I still have the scars from those monthly financial meetings.

In general, superior, leading edge technology often loses market share to subsequent, mass produced inferior products.

One of many classic examples is in the video world; BetaMax vs. VHS.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Apparently the inovative Mini nevr earned a profit for Austin! The car became so legendary that BMW bought the name and brought it back in presnt form. :roll: The Insight is a rare example of a concept car that actually got produced, the GM Corvette is another example.

·
Registered
133 Posts
no such law regarding spare parts...

flunkysama said:
As for parts, there's a law that says parts must be available for 10 years after production stops. There's enough insights out there that honda will probably have the more commonly needed parts available long after that, not to mention used parts.
- While lots of people belive this urban legend, if you can find any such law on a federal level, we'd be pleasantly suprprised.

·
Registered
133 Posts
AP story, includes Honda quotes, was: End of Insight

Billy said:
USAtoday.com is reporting that Honda announced today (Wednesday) that the Insight will be discontinued in September. I think I want to buy a new 2006 and store it for a couple of years........
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060518/honda_hybrids.html?.v=2
Honda to Stop Making Insight Hybrid
Thursday May 18, 6:02 pm ET

Honda to Stop Making Insight Hybrid in September, Introduce More Affordable Hybrid in 2009

DETROIT (AP) -- Honda Motor Co. will stop making the slow-selling Honda Insight hybrid in September and will introduce a new, more affordable hybrid to the North American market in 2009, a company spokesman said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Honda Insight was the first hybrid vehicle on sale in the United States in 1999, but it never achieved the popularity of the Toyota Prius, which went on sale a year later. Toyota sold 107,897 Priuses in 2005, while Honda sold 666 Insights. Still, Insight sales were up 15 percent in 2005 compared with the year before, and sales shot up another 83 percent in the first four months of this year as gas prices rose.

Honda spokesman David Iida said Honda plans to introduce a hybrid family car that is one class below the compact Honda Civic hybrid and more affordable than the Civic. The Honda Civic now starts at $14,760, while the Insight starts at $19,330.

Iida said the company is targeting U.S. and Canadian sales of 100,000 vehicles annually with the new hybrid. Honda said in 1999 it expected to sell around 5,000 Insights a year, but sales totaled just 13,374 from 1999 through March of this year.

The Insight may not be the only hybrid on Honda's chopping block. Honda Executive Vice President Dick Colliver said last month that the automaker may cut production of the Honda Accord hybrid because sales have been slow.

Honda's U.S. shares were up 6 cents to close at $34.31 on the New York Stock Exchange.

Honda Motor Co.: http://www.honda.com

1 - 20 of 48 Posts