Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Honda Insight, 45K miles on the clock.
I year or so ago I had an adapter fitted so I could charge the IMA battery up by the mains.
Recently the engine and the IMA light comes on and the IMA battery change level indictor on the dashboard is not lighting up (showing 100% flat)

I have tried changing the IMA battery up with and without the 12V battery connected and this is having no affect (I can hear the fan when I plug it into the mains). Last night the 12v battery warning light came on. I stopped the car discontent the 12V battery cable for about 30 seconds.
The IMA charge level came on for about 30 seconds and the 12V warning stopped showing, then the engine and IMA warning light came back on.

In the past this has happed and I have stopped the car and disconnected the 12V battery and this seem to have fixed everything. I recently had the car serviced and MOT’s with the engine and IMA light on and the dealers did not mention anything to me.

1. Could the 12V battery need replacing?
2. Is the IMA battery knackered?

·
Administrator
12,254 Posts
If you have an IMA light you have IMA codes, we need them to give more specific advice. But however.....

1 Is a good idea anyway as it leads a hard life

2 Yes possibly. You need to try deep discharging/cycling the pack if you don't want to fork out 2k or mess around trying to rebuild it.. Your car is low mileage so the battery may just be very out of balance/depressed :(

Charge the pack for 24hrs then use a simple 300-500R 100w resistor to discharge the IMA pack down to about 75V.

Then repeat above and finally charge it for 24hrs. Reset the ima system and see what happens.

so
Charge 24hrs
Discharge until 75v
Charge 24hrs
Discharge until 75V or <
Charge 24-36hrs

Then see. If that does not work and you have battery codes then I suggest come and see me...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise.

It was you that fitted the mains adapter. :)

>then use a simple 300-500R 100w resistor to discharge the IMA pack down to about 75V.
Can you explain this, and how do I do this?

>IMA codes
I presume that I need to buy an instrument to do this, that I plug in somewhere need the pasangers seat?
If so can you send me a link to buy ons of these.

Thanks

·
Administrator
12,254 Posts
On UK cars there is a brown SCS wire in the back of the car (inside IMA compartment) you can tap into and short to ground which will cause the ima light to flash out the codes.

Search on here for blinking out the codes.

Ditto re discharging...

Or bring it up to me to help you..

I do travel now to do IMA work but you would have to pay my expenses and fees etc..

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Administrator
12,254 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I now have a 300-500R 100w resistor.

I have another stuppid question now.

"On UK cars there is a brown SCS wire in the back of the car (inside IMA compartment) you can tap into and short to ground which will cause the ima light to flash out the codes."

Whats does SCS stand for?

I have had a look on google images inside the IMA compartmentm where can I find this wire?

Thanks

·
Linsight Designer
1,939 Posts
Download the service manual from this website (it's stickied). SCS is for Honda's service connector (system?). Pulling the pin low will start flashing lights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newbie has IMA light and 240v light bulb on wood that does nothing?

Hi All please can anyone help me with..
A: my newly acquired car and
B: Forum navigation!
I have bought a 2000CVT gen 1 insight ( thats why I'm here) it a Jap import to the UK.
It has had a wiring loom for a gris charger fitted and is in my garage charging at 167v 352mA as I type.
The plug that connects the grid charger to the car matches one on a 240v tungsten bulb mounted on a piece of wood.
I believe these may be a kit from "Hybrid automotive" I don't have a manual from them, and was wondering...
When to stop charging?
How to get the light bulb to come on and discharge the battery, do you need the car ignition on, or the 12v battery disconnected, the 144v circuit breaker on or off?
I'm sure these answers are all on this forum somewhere, but can I find them...
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On UK cars there is a brown SCS wire in the back of the car (inside IMA compartment) you can tap into and short to ground which will cause the ima light to flash out the codes.

Search on here for blinking out the codes.

Ditto re discharging...

I cannot see any brown wires.
Is it the to main power wires under the text 'ground wire to the'
So I put a wire on the positive cable, attach that to the resistor, then on the other side of the resistor attach a wire and the other end grows to ground (the car chassis) ?

·
Administrator
12,254 Posts
NO....

You appear to be getting confused between blinking out IMA error codes and grid charger/discharger connections. They are completely separate circuits... Do not interconnect them..

The brown wire for the SCS circuit is a thin signal wire that goes to one of the plugs into the MCM module on top of the battery. Its the square tin box on the right under the polystyrene in that picture. Have you searched on here for the scs circuit etc. i don't have my manual in front of me. There is a downloadable version on here.

The grid charger/discharger connections are also well documented on here. They also shown on some sponsor videos on there own websites.. I don't have the links to hand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have downloaded it, but itys a scanned PDF copy so its hard to search through it.

I know where the MCM module is, so will have a look this eve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am now down to 4 wires, as I could not work out from the user manual which of the brown wires I should be looking at.

There are four sockets in the back of the MCM unit. Each on these sockets has one brown wire. (im at the back of the car facing forwards) Going from left to right (sockets 1 to 4) which brown wire should I look at?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Yeah I had issues with the stickied service manual, too... so I ended up improving it as I saw fit. Mine is searchable and one document per concept (e.g. schematic is one document, etc.). You can download my version here.
Side note, if you want this for your phone, Mega tries to force you to install their app to download it.

Rotate your phone to landscape position first (they seem to detect portrait-mode and force the "mobile browser not supported" message).

Then choose "request desktop site"from your browser menu.

Then hit reload. Voila, you can download it just fine and don't have to install an unwanted app.

Same thing works for Facebook too for their messenger BS.

Sam

1 - 20 of 21 Posts