Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still in the process of replacing my head gasket to cure my engine overheating problems. I got the head removed and there was nothing I could see definitely wrong with it, but I also found no other problems with the cooling system, so I think the head gasket probably was the root of my problems.

I checked my thermostat and it operates well.
I checked the radiator and rinsed it out with water from a garden hose, no problems there, no clogs found.
I checked the water pump, but without taking it off. It seems to be OK. That is my first question. Can I be sure the water pump is good, without actually removing it? I removed the serpentine belt and the thermostat. With a finger of my right hand I reached in through the opening behind the thermostat, to feel the impeller while turning the pulley with my left hand. Everything seemed good. The impeller definitely has a solid connection to the pulley (shaft not broken) and all blades of the impeller felt the same size, with smooth edges.

Second question: My engine cooling fan had never run since I owned the car, so I went ahead and replaced the cooling fan switch. (I checked the rest of the circuit and it is fine, the fan runs when I connect the two switch terminals.) But the new switch is marked with a different temperature. The old one says UCHIYA on one side, and 1803 and 96 on the other. The new one has three lines all on the same side:
NTCL
93-ON
JBJ
I'm pretty sure I ordered the correct part number, but it looks like the manufacturer and the temperature setting have changed from the old one. Won't my fan run too much if the switch closes at 93 degrees instead of 96? I guess I can drive it for a while and see how it operates. About how much of the time should the fan run?

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
93 vs 96 celcus? Depends on capacity of radiator and opening of t stat. On the gen 2 the t stat opens at 160 F, the fan comes on at 203 F.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tested my thermostat. It starts opening around 89.5 Celcius and is fully open around 98. For the fan to come on at 93 when the thermostat is not even yet fully open seems too low. I guess I should test the switch and see what temperature it actually comes on, instead of just trusting the 93 that is printed on it.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,098 Posts
Please make your threads all in one.
It makes it a lot easier to follow the history.
I think most USA people want the American measurement in F. not C.
I have a hard time with math at my age.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts