Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Insight, 243K miles, MT. Bad IMA battery but I have a CalPod switch installed. When auto engine off kicks in at a stop light, engine sometimes won't turn back on, it just dies; after pushing on the gas pedal a few times, I would be able to turn it back on. Recently it's been happening more frequently. Today I had a hard time turning on the engine from a full stop at a parking lot. I was able to get the engine going after about 10-15 minutes of trying. I'm thinking fuel problem but any suggestions please? No CEL light.

·
Administrator
13,097 Posts
That's probably a symptom of a bad ima battery finally dying, you really need to fix it or remove it.. However....

Is the car actually trying to start? Engine turning over?
If so, is it turning with the ima motor or the 12v backup starter.

The lack of autostart pushes the starting onto the 12v starter which then dies or does not work properly due to a whole host of reasons. Including, bad grounds, bad 12v battery, bad starter etc etc etc

Also IIRCs in some circumstances you need to hold the key in the start position for some time before the backup starter will kick in

·
Registered
27 Posts
Engine turns over, it just won't start. 12v battery is good, it was replaced about 6 months ago. I've noticed when the engine dies, it sometimes causes CEL and IMA light to go ON but not always.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the IMA or CEL has been on you must have some codes ;)
In the past, I've pulled codes using Torque and a cheap reader. I don't much remember those codes since it all has to do with, what else, IMA batteries, so no interest further. I just pull the 30A fuse and it goes away, until the next time I forget to use my Calpod switch.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,625 Posts
I assume you do not have an OBDIIC&C gauge to read the voltage of the IMA battery. From your statement it is a really dying battery.
You are getting min. charge to the 12V battery with the CARD switch activated.
Charge the 12V battery up, it is probably really low.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume you do not have an OBDIIC&C gauge to read the voltage of the IMA battery. From your statement it is a really dying battery.
You are getting min. charge to the 12V battery with the CARD switch activated.
Charge the 12V battery up, it is probably really low.
Thanks, Willie!

Just checked the 12v batt, it's reading 13.2v, is it too high?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,625 Posts
Check the battery the first thing in the AM, before starting for best indication.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I leave the heater set to auto to prevent auto-stop. If I don't I know it will not auto-start again due to the tired IMA battery.
Strange really, as it always starts using the IMA first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I leave the heater set to auto to prevent auto-stop. If I don't I know it will not auto-start again due to the tired IMA battery.
Strange really, as it always starts using the IMA first thing in the morning.
Yes, I'm doing the same thing these days, turning on the Auto climate control button. As you, I also rarely experience starting problem in the morning. Come to think of it, I have most problems when the car was sitting in uncovered parking lot on a hot day. Most definitely it's related to HV battery, mine's shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.