Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 118,000 km I decided to do an engine flush. Man was the engine dirty, it took 3 flushes till it was clean. Seems to run smoother too

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No not coolant, Engine (Oil) Flush

I have been changing my engine coolant also

And yes I Oil Change every 6,000 KM (Half of what the service intervals are suppose to be)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you use synthetic engine oil you should never need to do an engine flush.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Honda oil is regular old dino oil. I switched to Mobil 1 0w-20 on my last oil change. Synthetic will provide the engine longgevity that regular oil can't.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I change with Mobil One every 3000 miles or so with a pint of engine flush to purge the previous oil change.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Getshocked.ca said:
At 118,000 km I decided to do an engine flush.

What did you use?

I've never done an engine flush. I've found that the rest of the car dies (handles break off, radio stops working, body rusts) before the engine does.

I too use synthetic oil (Amsoil 5W-20).

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I use synthetic 0W30. Did the Amsoil rep recommend 5W20? Seems to me that the 5w20 would provide less protection over a narrower temperature range and provide worse fuel economy, but I may be way off on this. Probably someone here can accurately explain the meaning of the numbers. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not to say that your way off but... the 1st number is the viscocity when in a cold engine. A lower number provides easier starting. The 2nd number is the viscocity at temperature. A higher number will be a little harder to pump so gas mileage will suffer. The Insight manual recommends 0w-20 because the engine was designed for minimum friction so a heavy weight oil is not needed to withstand the high temps.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Mobil One offers 0-20W, but does anyone know if Amsol does?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Amsoil doesn't. I suppose there is not enough demand for it yet. They don't have a replacement for MTF yet either. I barter computer work for Amsoil from a neighbor (rep) :D

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
The owner's manual does state
"Canadian Owners follow the schedule for Severe Conditions. Replace the engine oil and filter every 3750 miles (6000 km) or 6 months"

So GetShocked.ca being from Canada, I supposed that he ment that he replaces his oil twice as often as you guys/girls from the USA. Like I do.

All that because we live less than 100 miles north of the border, most Canadians really do (graphically, we live near the border, except for a few cities)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Hmmm, around here the used oil goes into the tractors and eventually the chainsaws etc.. We would Insighters have to change our oil 12 times or more to use the equivalent of one fill up of a Jetta diesel. If changing the oil too frequently prevents the cost of an engine rebuild or a car replacement, I think it is cheap insurance. Honda must have some reason for the Canadian rating, eh? That said, synthetic oil is supposed to last twice as long as Dino oil, and if you install an Amsoil bypass filter system you should not have to change your oil at all (in theory). I suppose those who really want to save the planet should definately install a bypass system. I'm still sitting on the fence, ouch!

·
Registered
222 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
We would Insighters have to change our oil 12 times or more to use the equivalent of one fill up of a Jetta diesel.
I have a VW TDI and I don't think it takes engine oil...it takes diesel. But your points are taken.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts