Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. my insight has been in my garage for most of the winter and I have been starting it from time to time...I'll post a battery question later...

In regards to the engine... I hear a bit of a knocking noise... and am wondering if it just needs a cam adjustment... my warranty ends May 07... so I want to get as much done to it as possible.. any thoughts?

·
Administrator
12,275 Posts
We need a bit more info.

Difficult to help without a bit more info.

Can you describe the noise in some more detail?

Is it a low knocking from the bottom of the engine?
Is it a ticking noise from the top of the engine?
Has the engine oil been changed recently? Correct level and grade?

When you started the car up during the winter, did you allow the oil to circulate thoroughly? The correct oil is very thin and will drain down to the sump quickly. This certainly causes most Insights to be noisy on initial startup.

Normally oil circulation related noises will disapear within a few seconds.

Tappet related noises usually disapear within a few minutes. If the engine is still ticking when warm it may indicate adjustment is necessary.

I use a wooden dowel/stick about 2ft long held against the engine block at one end and my ear at the other to listen to internal engine noises. I also have an old Dr's Stethoscope for the same purpose. Try listening to the engine at various points, avoiding fan belt pulleys etc etc.

Peter

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've had a noisy engine from the get go.
100,000 miles ago.
still.

:roll:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's hard to describe... its like a knocking noise... almost as if when the cams turn there's a knock... that's the only way I can describe it... click or knock... I'm just wondering if the cams aren't aligned properly if others have experienced this knock.. click... so I don't really know... I looked inside the engine and didn't really see anything wrong... at least not yet... click noise on engine rotation... doesn't seem right to me...

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
meow77 said:
It's hard to describe... its like a knocking noise... almost as if when the cams turn there's a knock...
Cam "noise" would be more of a "tick" than knock.

There have been many questions on this very topic for years in here now. Without hearing the sound no one can say for sure but its probably normal.

For one members experience and verification of its "normalicy" over 10K+ miles see henry8477's 1st and 3rd reply in this thread:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=885

Its not just a Honda thing and I've had and know of many different makes and models that have gone _multiple_ 100K miles with the "knock" and no other consequence.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... whatever it is... I haven't heard it before... I'll be taking the car in this month as my warranty runs out in May... it has less than 60K on it KM... so well see... if its nothing major as suggested I'll feel better.

·
Registered
338 Posts
just do us a favor, don't let the dealer talk you into anything before posting their response up on here...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty demanding with my dealer. I don't give them a lot of leeway and there is only one mechanic they allow to work on my car. I should make that appointment soon.. May is soon upon us...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts