Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if I am repeating another posting, but I've been looking over the posts on this site throughout the day and could not find the information I am looking for...

I just purchased a 2004 Honda Insight with 57,000 miles on it and am am a little nervous about the way the gasoline engine sounds. It is not horribly loud and does not have any significant specific sounds as it is running, but it is louder than I would have expected and has some noise that sounds like valve noise or something. I guess the best description is that it sounds like a tiny and very quiet diesel engine. Is this normal or should I take it in to Honda to have them see if they can make adjustments to the valves or whatever else might be causing the noise?

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Welcome to the group.

All Insights sound like a bag of spanners when started from cold.

The very thin oil drains down to the sump quickly and takes a couple of seconds to get round again. The engine will warm up very quickly in normal conditions and the sounds should go away.

Only if a tappety top end ticking persists when the engine is up to temp might I investigate valves. The are unlikely to need checking but you never no.

Remember the Insight is a three cyclinder engine, these are inherently rougher than an even number.

Also it has short skirt pistons, these flap about a bit when the engine is cold and make a racket until they have expanded.

Good luck and try searching on valve clearances or engine noise for further info.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... clearances

Peter :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
nascomfub said:
I apologize if I am repeating another posting, but I've been looking over the posts on this site throughout the day and could not find the information I am looking for...
Hi nascomfub and welcome to the forums :!: :)

No apology needed. But its buried in here somewhere. Hope you might have found some other useful information as you dug around a bit.

retep (Peter) covered all your quetions quite completely. The only bit I might help clairify is that the Insight's engine should sound reasonably normal once its fully warm, else there may be various different problems developing that should be looked into.

Please keep the group informed as your Insight ownership expereince develops :!:

HTH! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts