Honda Insight Forum banner

Engine noise - "rusty" squeaking

9K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  eq1 
#1 ·
Hello there!

The Insight in question is 2000, with low mileage, but I guess it does have it's share of rust here and there (whatever's not plastic or aluminum!), and it makes this unappealing noise, under load, at around 2000rpm:
sounds like something rusty squeak, similar to what one hears when knocking on the catalitic converter.

All I could tell, the converter is firm in place, and couldn't find anything loose in the engine compartment... Will look some more.

Anybody heard anything similar?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Thanks for the thought, but it definitely isn't a hole in the muffler... I do know that sound. This is high metalic squeaking/rattling tone, and it is coming from the engine compartment.

What is the location of the (loose) heat shield that you mention?

Thanks.

#5 ·
I appreciate that guess too, Rick! But it isn't a ticking noise, more like something rusty is loose (like inside the converter) and resonates with certain engine frequency.

Not alarming, just annoying! Just sprayed all muffler connections with WD40. Will report if the noise is gone (after the smoke from burning WD40 settles down!!!)

Cheers,
Predrag

#7 ·
the heat shielding arond the cat could be loose, it happened on my friends saab and thought my truck (turned out to be a small hole before the muffler). but it had that whole resonance sound at certain RPM's or when there wasnt a large load on the engine...

#10 ·
Thanks guys for all the insightful (and scarry) thoughts! I'll keep looking around the catalyzer and exhaust header first, I think... Because it sounds quite empty, like rattling an empty tin can.

#13 ·
the conclusion

Well, gentlemen, after all the guesses, may I present
"the CONCLUSION":

The noise turned out to be from springs that hold the header together with the engine. They rust. (Some things on Insights still do!)

An application of WD40 solved the problem for now (and certainly produced some smoke on the first start as expected!).

Sorry that the answer was so trivial! :wink: :wink: :wink:

#14 ·
squeak

It's not because the springs are rusty. It is because they are a tad loose. Torque the long bolts that go through the springs at 14 ft. lb. if I remember right. The squeak is the "doughnut" that is between the exhaust pipe and the "first cat." (Held in place by the flange on the exhaust pipe) The dougnut allows the exhaust system to "flex". They are definately loose , that's why the engine smokes a little after you sprayed on the wd40. It got drawn into the exhaust system

The Insight "header" is incorporated into the head of the engine.

#16 ·
Also may be cat

If your car is also seeming to loose power a bit while the whistleing is going on, may I suggest the cat conv is beginning to get clogged. I had an old Plymouth Reliant (what a 'ride' :!: ) that began whistleing like a teapot untill it came to a complete stop from the total clog that eventually happened. The back pressure was escaping thru the only place it could find, the header / tail pipe gasket.

Good luck.

#18 ·
Well, the sound is a rusty squeak that qualifies just in between of your 2 suggested categories (cricket and loose coin in a can). Ok, maybe a cricket.

What I found out is that it comes from a exhaust flange bolts and seal, just after the catalitic converter, where the exhaust pipe mounts to the engine.

Some free play must be engineered there (for engine vibration, since engine is not mounted solid in the frame). Coincidentally, the bolts and flange are the only NOT rust proof materials (read steel).

Here's a test you can do: park the car, don't apply parking brake but just leave it in gear (1st), walk out, open the hood, and rock the whole car while listening to the engine compartment noises. If the sound is due to rusty exhaust pipe flange (&bolts), you will hear a rusty squeak as car rocks (1-2") back and forth.

I have since disassembled the bolts, tried wd40, oil, but all these just go up in smoke the moment you start the engine (obviously). The noise has decreased with time, though. I guess my car has been sitting for a while before, and driving remedies the problem a bit.

Anyhow, if this is the case with your car, I believe it is nothing serious (apart from being annoying every now & then).

#19 ·
This is why I love these forums and why I need to read them more often. I read this and the "Crickets" titles and said to myself "Holy $#!^, that's the same thing mine is doing :!: " Running out to the car and doing the "rocker" test, the noise was definatly coming from the exhaust and I could feal the vibration in the heat shield at the same time the noise happened.

I'll have to check the bolts during the day but at least the problem and solution appear to be nothing major. I've told 2 dealerships about this (one I trust and the other close to work) neither could hear the noise. The good dealer even hooked up some sound test device and told me about two other noises I hadn't even noticed until then (then I noticed them all the time :?) One was a loose bushing on a rear hatch shock, it would make a popping noise. The other was a rattle in the passenger door, just some of the lock rods.

#20 ·
many months later

I am finally trying to get the crickets taken care of (see my crickets post that goes along with this one) and I am having a hard time with my Honda dealer. I have found a mechanic who has localized the metallic chirping to the exhaust flange bracket and I would like to order this part and have him install it, but I am unable to determine which part specifically I need to order. Does anyone have this information? I don't want to rely on the dealer's mechanics who did not take my diagnosis seriously until the third time I had the car in the shop. If anyone knows exactly what the "bracket" is, please share with me.

Thanks.

#21 ·
squeak

heatherlh:
What exhaust flange bracket? The first cat bolts directly to the head. There is a flat gasket between the engine head and the first cat. After the first cat there is a "donut" type gasket, then another short piece of pipe before the second cat which is welded to the pipe. Are you talking about the brace that goes from the lower part of the first cat (where the "donut" is) to the engine?
Also check the heat shield on the first cat, there have been reported incidents of it cracking, causing a "squeak."
If the "bracket" is broken, take it off, weld it up or just make a new one.

Hope this helps.............Willie

#22 ·
Re: many months later

Hi heatherlh and welcome back to the forums. :)

OUCH :!: Looong time to "put-up" with a "cricket" chirp. You must like crickets. ;) :p

Again like I replied in the past such noises are _best_ diagnosed with your ears on. And it reads like your 90% of the way there since your mechanic has localized the noise.

Also this necessary flex point in the exhaust system is a "known" source for such noises, but without an ear on the spot you may be throwing a part at the problem without a chance for repair.

Simply see if he agrees that this point is your source and get it replaced / repaired as he sees the need. Hopefully then you'll be able to report back as to the success of the repair and all Insighters here will be able to benefit from your experience and diligence :!: (Wow almost a year now).

Sincerely,

#23 ·
problem solved

The crickets are gone!!!

I had to find a new dealer, but I did and it has worked out. The crickets are gone!

The car needed a new front exhaust bracket. It mounts the exhaust pipe to the engine. The rattling does not cause any damage and there is nothing wrong with driving the car with the bracket cracked, except that it sounds like metallic crickets everywhere you go. It was an easy fix--half an hour and $13 for the part.

My previous dealer did not know what I was talking about and focused on the exhaust pipe. This new dealer listened to my description of the problem and found it almost immediately. Thanks to all you insight forum folks who helped me and "little heather" through this.

#24 ·
squeak

If I'm reading your post right. The correct name is "exhaust stay" and the part number is 11941-PHM00.
The bracket bolts on to the first cat at the lower flange and then to the engine almost in a horizontal position. (Bracket is bent 90 degrees on one end.)
It's purpose is to make a solid mount for the first cat. and to lessen the load on the 3 studs located on the cylinder head where the cat is mounted. The exhaust pipe is then allowed to "flex" at the "donut" located on the lower section of the first cat.
Good fair price though.

Willie

#25 ·
Hey guys, I'm a couple years late to this thread, but I am having this issue. I'll post a video below. Could you tell me if yours sounded like this?? The exhaust bracket should be an easy fix but I've already replaced parts that haven't fixed it. i.e) water pump, idler pulley, air box grommets.

#26 · (Edited)
To my ear, that doesn't really have the ring of the cat bolts/stuff. Too ringy, not tin-y enough... Your noise sounds more like a ring and rattle than a squeak... Were it possible, I can imagine the big washer under the nut that holds the shock in place making that noise, but it's not possible. Any other nuts and washers like that, loose??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.