Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I am new to the forum, just acquired a 2011 Honda Insight that has some engine noise that I cannot quite pinpoint. Definitely sounds like its coming from the back of the engine, anybody have any thoughts?

Its a 2011 with about 109k miles on it, just changed the oil and put a new battery in it but previous maintenance history and repairs are unknown.

Thank help is much appreciated, thanks!

Here is a video of the noise, it happens when its cold, warm, and stays with the RPMs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Unfortunately that is what I would call rod knock. Something has caused the lower end to be starved of oil and most likely damaged big end bearings. Ive heard this noise many times and rod knock has a very distinct noise. Of course this isnt a diagnosis but one of those 90% sure youre going to need to repair the engine in a massive way kinda thing. If you want to be 100% sure then you need to remove the oil pan and remove all rod and crank bearings to inspect. This is a very large project.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input, that's what I was thinking as well but far from confident enough to know. It's been strange, I drove it around the block today and it has almost gone away at idle, and when I was coasting it went away when I applied the brakes. Just seemed strange to me but you're probably right, probably going to move on from this one if I can find someone that is interested in a project for cheap, hah.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts