Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last year, at my first engine oil change, I found oil stains on my engine. At that time I took it to the dealership and they thought this was oil residue from the factory.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A quick update. Fast-forward 9K miles... At my second oil change last week, I did not see any increase in the oil stains that I discovered during my first oil change about 9K miles ago. Indeed, it appears these stains were due to oil residue from the factory.

On a side note, if anyone has hints on minimizing the oil spilling over the engine underside (mainly from replacing the engine oil filter), please share.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Put a walmart or other shopping bag around the filter and unscrew it with the bag over the filter so all the oil stays inside the bag. It may leak after a few seconds, so quickly put it in the trash.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine leaks from between the filter and the engine, while I am unscrewing it. I'll give a bag a try next time... I might make a jig out of some plastic to cover the area of the engine below the filter...

How about a quick-disconnect type of drain plug? I have SureDrain (or whatever it was called) by Fram on my Toyotas but that does not fit the threads on the Honda... Any alternatives? Saves the need to replace the drain plug gaslket every couple of changes, plus "no tools" draining ;)

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Well, I am not throwing it in the lake, thats 3 blocks from here. :D

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Just wipe up any oil spilled with a rag. If you want clean it up with some simple green.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts