Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the engine oil recommended for the Insight, 0W-20 is a regular or synthetic? What does synthetic mean? Also, the Honda dealer said it had to be Honda 0W-20. I didn't know Honda made engine oil? Were they giving me a line? Someone please tell me what brand of oil you all use. I looked on-line and saw a Mobil brand.

Also, what type of oil filter does it use? Is it best to use a Honda one? I don't want to use anything cheap.

I usually don't trust dealers, but the car drives great (just bought it last week). The only thing was that when they changed the oil, they overfilled it! I had to take it back so they could siphon it out from the top. I hope it doesn't hurt the engine.

I had this happen to my Accord (not at the dealer). I don't understand WHY mechanics don't realize that you don't overfill when you change the oil? Aren't they trained?

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
The Honda supplied oil is semi-synthetic and is 0W-20 (dont know who makes it). My understanding of synthetic is that its not hydrocarbon based and therefore doesnt breakdown like ordinary oils. In fact they probably dont breakdown at all just get dirty. Some Audis dont need oil changes till 30k miles because they use synthetic.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Synthetic oil is assembled by chemcial processes from simple base components like carbon dioxide. Conventional oil is selected out of crude oil by chemical processes. There's more control over the assembly process, so you get exactly what you want in the oil, but it costs more.

The Insight can use 0W-20 oil or 5W-20 oil, according to Honda. Conventional oil will also work in an emergency; it's much more important to have some sort of oil in there than to run it low.

I use the Honda filters because I don't really know what's inside the others. There are sporadic shipments of 0W-20 oil to Walmart or auto supply stores, and I usually buy 6 or 9 quarts when I happen to see it. My Honda dealer has had it recently, too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I use Mobel 1 brand 0w20 but it is hard to find. Your local parts store may be willing to order it for you. I've also heard good things about Amsoil brand 0w20.

·
Registered
274 Posts
LOTS of threads on this forum dealing with just about everything you want to know about oil/filters. Try the search function.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Search function

I did try the Search function - typed in "engine oil" and "motor oil". I must not be doing something right, as all kinds of things come up, ...some about motor oil and also about everything else.

Is there a trick to the Search function? I put it in quotes. What else do I need to do?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Use the upper search text box, and check the "search all terms" box. Use more words to clarify the search.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mobil1 0W20 for me as well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: Search function

fooey1987 said:
I did try the Search function - typed in "engine oil" and "motor oil". I must not be doing something right, as all kinds of things come up. Is there a trick to the Search function? I put it in quotes. What else do I need to do?
don't worry, I very seldom get useful results with the search function either [unfortunately]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmm, the honda oil is a semi-senthetic huh? Something few realize is that many oils marketed as semi-synthetic are usually a group II/III petro basestock with very little if any PAO content and very little of the high quality group IV and V additives.

Years ago Mobil 1 was involved in a lawsuit with a few other oil other companies who were marketing their oil as a full synthetic, when in fact it was a hydrocracked group III petroleum basestock. Mobil 1 oil is of the higher quality and truly synthetic group IV basestock with heavy use of PAO's and a good quality group IV and V additive package. The courts ruled against Exxon Mobil and determined that due to the high level of refining going into the competitors oils, it could in fact be sold as a full synthetic even though the oil was being pumped out of the ground. Interesting huh? This hydrocracked group III oil is still being sold as full synthetic today by some of the other manufacturers. Now that doesn't mean it's not good oil. I'll bet it performs just fine, petro oil will do great if it's properly additivized. It just may not hold up as LONG as Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline or some of the other high ester full synthetics. It does seem somewhat misleading from a marketing point of view though huh? Most people think if it says synthetic, it came from a lab and not an oil well. This is not always the case.

There is a lot of great info about all things motor oil at bobistheoilguy.com anyone interested should check it out.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hello Pretend I was hearing that mobile 1 wasn't a true IV oil... don't know about the validity of that... but that's what I was hearing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.