Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this has already been addressed--please just redirect :oops:

I have a 2000 5-speed w/ 48k miles that has been well maintained. Recently, I noticed there is a distinct higher pitched loud rattling noise when the car engine idles (before auto stop kicks in) or when I accellerate or decellerate. Coasting or auto stop does not create this. It almost sounds as if I am in an incorrect gear and stressing the transmission. However, I am proficient at a manual transmission. The car does not shake...it just creates this annoying noise.

My car is covered under Honda Care, so I just want to make sure something is actually wrong with the car so I do not get stuck with paying for them to tell me it is normal--which I'm pretty sure it isn't. It just recently started. Thanks! (Could it be the colder 50 degree weather????)

Rob

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
It's hard/impossible to diagnose noises by typing. I would take it to a mechanic ASAP just in case it's preignition knock which can destroy stuff quickly.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It may just be a heat shield has rusted and is loose.

I have hose clamps around both my cats keeping the heatshields in place because they were rattling. First one started 2 years ago, then the second this summer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guillermo,

You are exactly right. Not being mechanically smart, I took mine to Honda. They told me a heat shield was rusted and loose, so Honda cut it off. They told me they did not replace it, since heat shields aren't necessary????? :? Any advice here? It does sound like an important part just from the name of it. I don't want to catch on fire while I'm driving down the road!

Thanks,
Rob

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The heat shield should be for the CAT. If parking over dry leaves and after driving in conditions that require heavy CAT "operation" a fire in the leaves is possible. With the not so good possibility of complete car involvement.

If its the upper CAT heat shield then it helps reduce radiant heat in the engine compartment. Depending on many factors this heat "stress" will "bake" nearby components faster. A wear and tear factor, but usually a minimal one.

Personally I'd get it replaced either way.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
Personally I'd get it replaced either way.
HTH! :)
Using a hose clamp to keep the rusted heat shield from rattling is the more enviornmentally and cheaper solution :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts