Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing an engine swap and having some difficulty separating the engine block from what I can deduct is the IMA motor. Earlier threads on the subject speak of a specialized tool for achieving this? Can anyone elaborate? Also, can this be completed without removing the trans or does the entire trans/IMA/engine block unit need to be removed to complete this process.

2000/181,000 miles-manual transmission

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
The entire drive train is going to come out, so might as well pull it all at once and make it easy. Be sure to insulate the IMA tor from the magnets or you will damage it. Slide a long manila folder strip around the stater before you unbolt it from the crank. There are a couple bolts inside the IMA motor that hold it to the block - have you removed those?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not removed bolts within the IMA motor, I have removed external bolts connecting the block and IMA. Separation was not occurring, I was trying to achieve this by exclusively removing the engine block, looks like I have a few more steps to take.

Thanks, Jeff

Ryan

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
Have you removed the three high voltage wires going into the motor? Those might hold it steady if you forgot to disconnect them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The IMA stator and rotor will stay with the engine when the engine is removed. the simplest way to disconnect the three orange wires is to remove them inside the car and leave them connected to the IMA or you can remove the back Cam position sensors so that you can get at the bolts on the IMA wire connection. be careful the cam needs to be in the correct position to remove the cover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts