Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm a newbie owner of a 2000 year insight gen 1 in the UK. Have owned since october and have slowly been getting her fixed up. Have just replaced the gearbox mounts and two engine mounts this weekend and am now experiencing a crazy amount of engine shake on idle and when lifting the clutch to engage gear at low revs. With the engine idling and the bonnet open, the engine shakes about an inch top to bottom, pick up the revs and it goes away. She revs cleanly to red line and appears to drive fine except for this issue and being particualry 'lumpy' around 1500 rpm and therefore requireing a lower gear to smooth out the running. Has had a recent oil change and still no change. any advice welcome and apologies if this has been covered anywhere else.
many thanks,
James

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes OEM mounts - i'm aware of people using non-OEM and filling them with polyurethane to their detriment, no this issue was as before the mounts and id assumed that it was just the mounts, now I think its something else that may have caused it - could it be a misfire perhaps? needing new spark plugs? it's only got 80k miles on the clock.... ive read on here that there could be an issue with the EGR but people appear to only be reporting issues at higher revs

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
If you had a serious misfire I would expect an engine code/warning light.

Really bad engine shake at idle is unusual.

When installing the mounts is there a tightening sequence?

Have you pulled it out alignment somehow.

Have you used the right mounts?

I think CVT and manual are different? Don't quote me though.

Are all the ancillaries secure, air con compressor etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,084 Posts
Is your IMA operational?

Sam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this issue i'm sure is pre-existing, the new mounts are stiffer and have highlighted the problem - yes the mounts are for a manual - from Honda, they matched the old ones exactly and have been replaced like for like - there are only two bolts a piece. No nothing out of allignment, everything put back where it came from. Yes the IMA is operational, have installed a charger and the battery is working perfectly - is normally at full charge and is not taking charge on idle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All, thanks to everyone for your advice, so I decided to take my socket set and go and investigate and found a number of little problems - firstly, the shake was last experienced while parked diagonally on an incline, I found that the rubber bung on the LHS engine mount had been rotated such that it wasnt where it was supposed to be. I tried to video but the frame rate clashed with the vibration rate of the air intake and then I found it... the monkies who had worked on it had left out the main bolt holding it in place to the engine casing and the air intake was dancing around!
So, I would say that it is mostly cured although not perfect - I have some clutch shudder, which i've been reading is partially normal, I believe that some new spark plugs might not be a miss along with a replacement EGR? and I'm sure I also need to do the valve adjustment as is quite rattly on cold - again i've been reading the posts on this and think it's stright forward enough - I do the valve clearances on my Beta marine and VW T2 semi frequently and therefore shouldnt be too much bother, but again, any advice is always welcome!
Thanks to everyone, much appreciated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts