Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just wondering if anyone has experience with an engine shudder after their car has been idle. It happens around 3-7 mph and is pretty frequent but it is preventable to some measure if i give the car a little time to roll after the brake. Its just a pretty jolting vibration and now I am looking at taking it to a transmission shop that can hopefully handle my cvt engine. Any help is mucho appreciated. thanks

~jay

oh and I am looking at 01' with almost 90,000 on it

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Do you know if the transmission fluid has ever been changed...If not, its overdue and could be the cause of the problem. Insure that your transmission shop has expirence with the Honda CVT transmission and that the special CVT fluid (from Honda) is used when changing.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks joe

I am almost positive that it hasn't been changed. So maybe it is the answer to my problems. I also have the legendary hesitation from the engine when i get up to 60 and the rpm's start to fluctuate. Never changed out the egr valve because my dealer was unsure it would do anything. Maybe the fluid will solve both problems! :D Maybe not. :cry: But I setup an appointment to have them look at for 80 bucks. Maybe i should just go for the transmission fluid? I am due for it at 90,000 which is only 3k away.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Did you change / unhook the 12V battery recently? Unlikely but it may be related to your slip clutch settings.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Bass108 - If whatever fixes your transmission problem does not fix the engine hesitation, I would definitely recommend looking closely at the EGR valve. I recently replaced my Insight's EGR valve and completely solved the hesitation problem I was experiencing. However, you should familiarize yourself with the symptoms and possible fixes by carefully reading the EGR valve threads on IC.

Good luck :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never unhooked the 12v. At least, I never did, but no one else should have! I am gonna go with the transmission because it's so close and needs to be done and we'll just see what happens. ::fingers crossed::

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
had a transmission flush and the problem is gone! thank you.

but i still have the hesitation at higher speeds. so i guess i should look back into my egr valve.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yeah, I get the shutter after about 22,000 miles after a CVT fluid change. It gets worse under hard accelleration until I change the fluid. Then it works fine for another 22,000 miles (approx.). I change it at 30,000 unless I think it needs it sooner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gomarlins are you under severe conditions?

i just live in tn and have to drive 40 miles to school everyday...

ummm

so the hesitation is happening at lower speeds not like 40 to 50...

...should i do the egr...or is there some other options i can exhaust.

every time i take it to the dealership they can't recreate it. i am at the point that i am goinging to tell them that i need to drive it for them.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
John Bullock was kind enough to recently inform the moderators of a new Honda service bulletin. Perhaps it is applicable in this case.

"S.B 07-049 & 07-050 define 2 specific tests for CVT transmissions for belt and start clutch "judder" that will be covered 7-100K miles

In general this will present itself as a slight shudder in initial acceleration and below 15 MPH. Other failures not specific to the start clutch or the compression link belt are _not_ covered for this extended period."

Thanks John.

·
Registered
366 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
J
In general this will present itself as a slight shudder in initial acceleration and below 15 MPH.

Thanks John.
That's a good description of what happens. After a fluid change, it goes away for quite awhile.

I do 70 miles round trip each day and only about 30 of that is highway. The rest is top and go with stop signs about every or every other mile.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
You did note that belt and start clutch "judder" is now covered under extended warranty for 7 years and/or 100,000 miles?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
back to the egr thing...

...is there any thing else i can look at doing?

or should i just replace it?

it's $300 and i have no guarantee from the dealership.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Read the EGR thread. We had the judder in both of our Insights. Soaking the EGR valves overnight with liquid wrench eliminated the judder and got us up from 38mpg to 50mpg on each car.
One has started doing the shudder just a little again and the mileage has dropped so I'm going to try a second soaking and if that fails to hold I'll replace the valve.

To do the job, its just three 10mm nuts to remove the plastic engine cover, then two 12mm bolts that hold on the EGR valve. I bought new gaskets for the valve for $1.50 on-line somewhere, but the old ones seemed fine so I didn't use the new gaskets at all. Prop the valve upside down and fill its two openings with liquid wrench overnight to free up the stuck parts.

-John

·
Registered
366 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
You did note that belt and start clutch "judder" is now covered under extended warranty for 7 years and/or 100,000 miles?
I just turned 100,000 this month, but thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts