Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's my problem.

A few weeks ago I had the engine stall a couple times during the week. It always stalled when I came to a stop from a significant speed. i.e. Stopping at the end of an off-ramp, or freeway comes to a halt for traffic. It seems like auto-stop engaged, but the oil light comes on and I have to turn the key to start the engine again.

Today, it happened three time before I even got to the freeway, once when I hadn't even come to a stop, I had just slowed down and put the car in nuetral. I was coasting through an intersection while I re-started the engine.

This weekend I changed the spark plugs, hoping that that would cure it, but obviously not. I really don't have a clue. Has anyone heard of this or gotr any advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Can explain every detail of what you do with your gear shifter and pedals when this occurs?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I remember it, I've always had my foot off the pedal and the clutch in when the stalls have happened. Sort of like it was supposed to go into auto-stop, but just stalled instead.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi gobuchul74,

Just want to briefly say Thanks :!: :D for your work with the IMA batteries in your other thread.

As far as stalling the forum search feature pulled up several interesting threads. Search on "stalling" (no quotes) and limit the forum to Problems & Troubleshooting.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read one of those that seems to be the same problem I'm having, but there didn't seem to be a clear cause found for it. The person just had the problem fixed by the Honda techs and never knew how is was resolved.

Today it happened again twice. I saw it more clearly and it appears that the car goes into auto-stop and then the green auto-stop light goes out and the oil and battery lights come on. The car also restarts off the 12v battery and not the IMA. It seems like I might have more IMA problems.

I guess I'll just be leaving the cabin fan on to avoid this problem (disable auto-stop).

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
gobuchul74
Bummer
Some things to check/try:
If it starts with the 12V starter, there is a possibility that the thermistor you changed (broke) when changing out the batteries,may be damaged, and may be telling the system that the temp is to low for starting the car with the IMA?
Has the IMA light come on again since the other day?
May want to try to reseat the BCM and MCM connectors, check all the wires, and do another IMA reset?
good luck

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
There are at least a couple of us that have auto-stop stalling problems - including me & ChristianBaumart. We have never got to the root cause of it but my biggest suspicion is 12V battery issues.

Gobuchul74 - Have you changed your 12V battery recently? Do you have a CVT? - If you have a CVT I recommend slipping into 'Low' gear or pressing the 'Sport' button at junctions to disable auto-stop as having the A/C on full will hurt your MPG.

Sorry I couldn't help more but please let everyone know if you find out what is causing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having this same problem

The same thing happens to me. I really watched it today; I come to a stop, auto-stop kicks in, then after a couple of seconds the green light stops flashing and all the other lights light up (check engine, brake, etc...). At the point when it dies I haven't even tried to go again, so I know it's not me not pushing in the clutch far enough (and besides, I stopped doing that years ago).

The additional problem I have is it barely restarts, and if I let it happen more than a few times, it takes so long to restart (dash lights dim and crank is very slow) that I decide it's not worth the risk and turn on the ac to keep it from going into auto-stop again.

I'll replace the battery and reply to this post with whether or not that fixes it for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shortly after my last post on this topic, the IMA light came on and it has since been in the shop waiting for a new IMA battery and modules.

From the way yours sounds, you at least need a new 12v battery so it will re-start easier. And as far as having the AC on to prevent auto stop, I'm pretty sure I tried that and eventually it started stalling even then.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have many autostops no restarts, and last week I couldn't restart the car anymore. Even not with the alt start. I had to push my car into the garage !
I am waiting now for the parts to arrive from Japan, don't know how long it will take but I have my warranty now.
Did not know that the Citrus Smoothy had it to, I knew it already from Christian Baumart.
Good luck to anyone who has this problem :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Start-Stop-Automatic

I also have problems with the start stop automatic. My IMA accumulator is defective like with windmill. I wait for reaction of Honda Germany. The engineers with Honda Germany work on the solution of the problem with the start stop automatic. I announce myself, as soon as the solution was found.

Greetings from Brunswick !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, looks like it was just the battery

Went and got a new battery, now it no longer stalls during auto-stop. That was an easy fix for a problem that's confused me for some time, thanks InsightCentral posters. I guess I should have thought about the fact that car batteries usually don't last 5 years.

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi ChristianBaumert. :)

I understand the english is not your native language. Thank you for the extra effort required for you to participate in english :!: :D

IMO by my reading Masonion's replies, in context it should be the 12v battery that caused his "problem".

Since Masonion is a new member I wasn't sure if you would ever get a reply to your question so I have done my best to help you. often new members only read here to get help for their problem, then don't come back frequently.

No insult intended toward you Masonion or any other new member. Its just how most message boards / newsgroup sites work.

Sincerely,

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I would add a note of caution here. Previously I suspected the likely cause of auto-stop stalls would be the 12V battery and fitted a new Odyssey 12V battery. This hasn't solved my problem. Masonion may be receiving a temporary 'reprieve' from the stalling due to the IMA reset which takes place when disconnecting / replacing the 12V battery. Time will tell.

Although it appears from the posts above it may be a fault with the 'IMA accumulator' , my next step is to double check the two engine ground cables are properly connected (when I am not so busy). Other posts on this subject indicate they get worn / break over a period of time. I could not see them at all when I had a quick look under the hood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 12 volts accumulator cannot be responsible for the problems. I substituted the accumulator at first with an original Furukawa battery. The problems remained. Then I bought the probably best lead acid gel accumulator. The manufacturer calls Sonnenschein (a German manufacturer). Then the ground cables were renewed. The problems remained.
Now the IMA light lights up. The IMA accumulator is soon renewed on guarantee. Windmill has exactly the same problems. Maybe that brings the turn.
In addition, Honda Germany works on the solution.

Greetings

Christian

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Insight was repaired this Friday, new IMA Battery and ECM. No stalls, works fine. Honda paid for everything because of the delay involved (2.5 Months). But I still feel that the dealership is a bunch of idiots because of various things that happened. 1. I asked for the headlight recall to be done since it sat there for over 2 months, that didn't happen. 2. I asked for them to give me an estimate for some bodywork on the front bumber, that never happened. 3. Picking up the car became a huge deal, even though I called twice that day and was assured that my car would be ready. When I got there they actually wanted to keep the car another day so they could take it back apart and write down the serial number off the battery. IDIOTS!. 4. I have since found 2 different bolts which they left sitting in the trunk. I happen to know exactly where they go because of the previous workl I've done to this car.

I am not pleased with Norm Reeves Honda of Temecula.

I am very grateful to Honda America for picking up the tab :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts