Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious, I don't have an Insight but I have this theory that's really bugging me.

1. If the civic hybrid has the same engine as the insight, that would indicate that a k series motor (civic, rsx, type r and crv) would more or less bolt right in with the tranny and maybe the harness too. You would have to get rid of the Insight's elec motor and probably the Insight tranny too.

2. If the Insight has a bunch of heavy batteries, to save weight, wouldn't a lot of the suspension be made of aluminum?

3. Can the suspension be modified using aftermarket springs and struts from the civic line?

4. Are the wheels and tires extra skinny to reduce rolling friction (this was done on the gm ev-01)? Can aftermarket wheels be fitted or even other honda wheels like the 15" gsr wheels?

I was thinking that if you removed the batteries and swapped a 2.4L CRV block with a Type-R head, you would have an extremely fast, one of a kind Insight! :twisted:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Civic Hybrid does not have the same engine as the Insight.

Portions of the front suspension are aluminum:
http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclope ... nsion.html
http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclope ... nsion.html

Stock tires are low-rolling resistance 165/65-R14 Potenza RE-92's and aren't narrower than other 165's, however they are narrow compared to most tires. People have put other wheels and/or tires on their Insights, you can search this forum to find other discussions. With the rear wheels you need to be wary of the skirts.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Ahhhh......That's the trouble. The Insight engine bears no resemblance to a Civic engine or any of the other Honda engines.

You are right about the suspension being made primarily of aluminum. In fact just about everything except nuts and bolts and springs is made of aluminum or some type of plastic.

The body is stronger, lighter and more torsionally rigid than any Civic.

Sooner or later someone is going to figure out how to put a serious engine with a blower into that streamlined shell and turn it into the worlds best disguised Ferrari eater.

I'm not suggesting that would be a sane thing to do. It could be lethal. Nevertheless, if it was done with the right resources, on a closed track, with a professional driver and the right safety equipment, it would be quite awesome.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I still want an electric conversion Insight that can out accelerate a Corvette. This would probably be easier to do than to try and get a different engine to fit.

G

·
0 Posts
Rick said:
I still want an electric conversion Insight that can out accelerate a Corvette. This would probably be easier to do than to try and get a different engine to fit.
:D :D You and me both. I've heard someone has already done it, but I have yet to find any information about it online. The Insight is the perfect candidate for a conversion. I wonder how complicated it would be to interface with the battery and charge/assist meters on the dash. I'd hope to keep them working after a conversion.

Hopefully Hydrogen fuel cells will be cheaper and easier to obtain and use when I'm ready to convert.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Hmmm...... I was thinking more of the mod a fellow did locally where he dropped an Integra engine with a Supercharger into a 91 CRX. It puts out 230 HP. :shock: He had been told that it was imposible, but he imported a Japanese style hood for the CRX thereby gaining an inch of clearance. It is a tight squeeze but was so deftly done that it looks stock.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I'm not saying it's impossible to swap an engine, it would just be very difficult and take a lot of custom fabrication. And you'd have to pretty much the whole drive train too because there's no way the Insight transmission would hold up under much more power. The CRX is different, it was the same engine platform as some other models of cars durring it's time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
re:

hi all,

you guys heard of the new CRX that will be build base on the insight chassis, and the rumour about honda is developing a new 'K' series for it?

K16?...so I saw on a site.

If its true that the new CRX's chassis is build base on the insight chassis, then someone can easily fit a K series in the insight.

I was comparing my car with my friend's ep3 the other day, the tranny mount on the driver side is exactly the same, the engine mount on the passenger side is defferent, the one on ep3 is mounted about 2" further toward the head light, and its a vertical mount (horizontal mount on the insight). And the insight dosen't have the front cross-manber engine support.

I don't thing is a hard swap at all, if honda with sell the insight base CRX with the K16 witch is a deturn k20.

cheers

:)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
That's right. He used the whole Integra drivetrain.

An electric mod would be superior. It would have very little effect on gas mileage. However, it is unlikely to be done as it would take technical skills inseveral disciplines. The horsepower could be doubled but the torque could be tripled or quadrupled and that is what really boosts the accelleration. Since it would only be used occasionally for a few seconds cooling would not be a problem.

Here is the "divorce maker" electric mod:

1. Adapt 2 hub style electric motors to the rear wheels.

2. Fabricate a suitable power supply with suppercap or NimH batteries to fit in the storage well.

3. Modify the rear suspension to handle the increased weight / torque.

4. design and fabricate suitable control electronics.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Insight engine swap

Some of you seem to think that an electric conversion would be easier and superior in performance to an engine swap. Even if you did an electric conversion and doubled hp, as someone suggested as realistic, you'd still have just 146 hp.
As for torque, do you really want a ton (triple to qudruple, as mentioned, would be 270-360) of low-end torque in a 2000 lb. fwd car? That's a serious traction issue. It would be great for rwd.
A K-20 series engine from a current Japanese Domestic Market Integra Type R(Integra is called RSX here) has ~217hp, if I recall correctly. It's not a torque monster, so traction would be much less an issue, if mounted in an Insight. With a turbo bolted on, you'd have a realistic 300 hp with just 7 psi. Would it fit? I think it can be made to fit. I compared the engine bay measurements between my Insight with my '84 CRX (which now has a Honda B16A engine with over 160hp), and they're virtually identical. A Honda H23A engine has already been done in an '85 CRX, and that engine + tranny is certainly larger than the K20.
As for engines other than the K series, I've already spoken with someone at a Honda dealer who told me they were at a car show in Miami last year, and saw an Insight with a Honda B16A (158-168hp) engine swapped in, and I believe he also said it was turbocharged. That's the most powerful Insight that I've yet heard about.
As I see it, the only thing superior in doing the electric modification to an Insight, is the gas savings.
With an electric conversion, you'd lose storage space in the rear, and the car would probably end up heavier than it would with a K-series conversion. Let's not forget the range limitation! The K series conversion would probably be easier than the B16A swap that's already been done, since the K mounts for the engine and tranny would probably line up in closer proximity to the Insight mounting points, compared to the B mounts, since the K engines mount in the engine bay in the same manner as the Insight, with the Intake manifold up front by the radiator, and the tranny on the drivers side.
As for the CRX rumours with K series engine in an Insight-based chassis: Don't waste your time with any rumours. Only official statements from Honda matter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, it looks like it may be possible although with quite a lot of work, but I've done a lot of different swaps on Hondas and seen even more personally. CRV engines in crx's are getting quite common. I was looking through the encyclopedia, which was really helpful and I noticed that even the body is aluminum so the car minus the battery and the electric motor controllers must be extremely light. Just think if you removed the fully powered interior. It's so nice though. Once a K series engine and transmission can be transplanted into the Insight, the possibilities are endless. There are hondas using the old B series motors from the Integras running low 8's in the 1/4 and have nearly 700 hp. I have known several people with turboed hondas that were daily drivers that dynoed 300 whp as well. Plus, the Insight looks so different from all the civics and integras out there, I just think it would be a fun car to soup up. Thanks a bunch for info.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yeah but that jet powered car is lame very little power.... were talking putting a supersonic jet engine on there... now we are talking..... that's how legends are made...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
A jet engine! Apologies to snopes...

Oh, yes, let's resurrect this old urban legend with a new twist... :lol:

"The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The aluminum alloy debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that an Insightcentral.net member had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit and thought about installing same in his Honda Insight. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The member took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, used his IMA to accelerate to a high speed, and fired off the rocket. The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The very aerodynamic and lightweight vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Insight remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the low-rolling-resistance tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Investigators also determined the SOC display showed all bars were lit at the moment of impact." :shock: :D :lol: :eek: :wink:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Haha, I love it. You know some idiot has tried that in some car at one point. Perhaps they need to test that myth on the MythBusters show.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts